got flashed doing 26 in 20 central London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SquabzZz

Car
2017 GLC220 4MATIC
Hey people

I can't believe it I got flashed today at old street roundabout doing 26 (speedo indicated 26 in 20) I genuinely thought it was a 30 mph zone

I have no points and I have had points for like 6 years. Do you think I will be offered the speed awareness course ?

Do you think there's even a chance I won't recieve anything it was the newer type of camera the higher up ones ?

Bloody 20 mph limit lol

Letter post next few days to confirm driver, after that you should be offered the points-fine OR driver course....

I thought my Road Angel was dis-functioning when it flashed up 20 MPH zone a few months back, anyway I immediately obeyed it and slowed down which was fortunate because I didn't notice the camera.
For some roads it seems to be ridiculously low.

I thought my Road Angel was dis-functioning when it flashed up 20 MPH zone a few months back, anyway I immediately obeyed it and slowed down which was fortunate because I didn't notice the camera.
For some roads it seems to be ridiculously low.

I know 20 mph is just stupid !! I'm hoping because cars tend to over read by 2 mph that I don't get anything not to bothered if I do as I do have a clean liscence I'm just annoyed that I genuinely thought it was a 30 mph road 26 isn't really a speed offence in most eyes

I'm amazed you got to 26mph in central London, they should let you off just for that achievement.

I'm amazed you got to 26mph in central London, they should let you off just for that achievement.

Haha Sunday morning mate :thumb:

Will most probably be there highest speed ticket ever issued

That sucks you will get invited to the course no points more than likely

Yeah you'll get offered a course.

It'll be about £80. It'll be a very long boring day with the very worse instant coffee in the world.

They always flash twice don't they?

It's once if it's a jumping a red light camera, as it just needs proof you were on the junction more than 3 seconds (I think) after the light went red, speed cameras need to flash twice, to take two shots at timed intervals to be able to calculate your speed by the distance you covered in that time.

Unclear why some posters think 20mph is " stupid". Facts are that in certain locations reducing the allowable speed limit is based on traffic volumes, roadside surveys, pedestrian useage and frequency of accidents.

I'm not trying to be smart or clever but if you didn't see the signs giving the limit then you ain't concentrating / watching the road ahead IMHO.

Unless an accident blackspot or where special care is needed (schools etc.) 20mph is a nonsense.

We've got more and more being implemented round here - you drive at 20mph and become the snail, much to the chagrin of others :devil:.

Problem is, most people don't know about lane discipline on any roundabout, Old Street is a very busy one with 3 lanes and the new layout from City Road is terrible, you do well to not get hit as they come at you from either side.

Battling idiots who cut lanes, you are better to concentrate on the road and bumper cars around you than the signs imho. Ideally do both, but don't blame anyone coming off that roundabout.

Also, the sneaky ****ers have put the camera on CC end of Old Street just in front of a bus stop, so if a bus is sat there there is no way of seeing it. Just after the lights as Bunhill Row. Very clever.

yeah speed cameras flash twice, sometimes they only flash once for a warning.

I'm not trying to be smart or clever but if you didn't see the signs giving the limit then you ain't concentrating / watching the road ahead IMHO.

I agree there. even if the limit has recently been changed it is still clearly signed.

20, 30 & 40 limits are there for a reason. any other speed limit above that (off motorway) is pointless. but they are silly when there is nobody about. for example the speed limit around our town centre is 20. the only people who do this speed are the learner drivers. not even the local police do those speeds. UNLESS it is middle of the day Saturday. at the busy times. at the end of the day it just comes down to common sense really. use your eyes and your brain. ALWAYS anticipate the most stupid behaviour from other road users. even the police.

I'll probably get flamed here, but who cares! I really think these 20 zones have a dangerous Achilles heel. Brighton now has a blanket 20mph over the whole city pretty much. A couple of months back I witnessed an accident that could easily have been a fatal for the cyclist involved. Wandering along at 20 behind another motorist, a cyclist passed me on the inside doing probably close to 30. Was downhill, and after all, cyclists are exempt from many traffic laws... The car in front of me was indicating left, and initiated their move with the cyclist alongside. Obviously there was contact, and the cyclist fell off. In my view he had willingly placed himself in a dangerous position, with predictable results. Funnily enough, he didn't see it like that. I couldn't hang around, but left my details as a witness. I haven't been contacted as yet. The scary part for me was the fact that if it had been me, I could easily have knocked him off too. Sure, that type of accident could happen in a 30 zone, and the consequences could have been worse, but maybe if it had been a 30 zone the cyclist would have had less chance of catching and passing on the inside at all? Certainly it made me more aware of the potential and I pay more attention to that risk now.

Sorry to hear about you getting caught over 20. I hadn't realised they were enforcing 20 limits yet.

I recall reading somewhere that 20mph speed limits were not being enforced. Don't quote me on that.

A quick Google brings up interesting results.

Last edited:
If they drop the speed limits much more, it'll be quicker to walk or cycle. Maybe that is their intention.

I can understand the issue with pedestrians, but surely if they educate the pedestrians NOT to walk in to the path of an oncoming vehicle, there will be fewer deaths.

A few years back, Tony Blair commissioned a report in to speeding, to confirm that speeding kills. Unfortunately, the report concluded that speeding wasn't the main factor in accidents, rather it was lack of attention. In fact, the report also said that in collisions between pedestrians and vehicles, 90% were attributable to the pedestrian failure to note their surroundings (such as texting while crossing a road).

If I could remember the link to the report, I'd post it.

you drive at 20mph and become the snail, much to the chagrin of others :devil:.

Yep, it's a bugger complying with the law :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom