Got hit by a drunk driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe_SP

Car
2013 E250 & 1999 M3
Yesterday I went to pick up my sister and 3 year old niece, whilst my sister was putting the child seat in my car I heard a loud crack and realised a car had clipped the open car door my sister was standing in:eek:.

I sprinted after the car which had only stopped because he had to wait for a car coming the other way. I managed to get him to wait by standing in front of his front wheel and could smell alcahol on his breath:mad: .

He refused to stop or get out of his car and eventully gave me his name and address. My sisters neighbour called the police, the driver eventually drove of, whilst trying to run over my sister's neighbour, hit another car and then got away over the pavement!

The good news is the police were not far behind, chased him, caught him and breatherlised him. This morning he was charged with drink driving (he was over twice the limit). Luckily no one was injured and my car is only needing a new rear door.

What a day! I have to say that this is the first time I have encountered traffic police and they were excellent, I think they were pleased to catch a drink driver as well.

Hope he is insured for your sake BUT some insurers refuse to pay under their T&Cs if the driver is over the alchol limit and under the influnce.

At least the scum has been caught.

I spoke to my car insurance company, they said as long as he is insured third party damange (mine) will be covered. His insurance co may refuse to pay out for his damage though.

I spoke to my car insurance company, they said as long as he is insured third party damange (mine) will be covered. His insurance co may refuse to pay out for his damage though.
Correct (if that's in his insurance T's & C's, which it commonly is, these days) plus they may try to recover your costs from him too.

Insurance companies can never avoid their liability to 3rd parties.

What an @rse! I hope that statements have been taken from you and a selection of the others present, if nothing else it is a good aggravating factor for the Magistrates to decide sentence.

Goodness, I would hate to be put in that situation because I just know I'd lose my temper completely and probably want to drag him out of the car and lamp him one! lol Well done on keeping your cool in such a horrible situation. Glad he didn't do real damage (as in knocking one of you over and seriously hurting you)

nice one. do not stand in front of the wheels again please.
A man got killed at john lennon like that 2years ago.

Well done! You sound like youve got yourself together OK but I know how shaken you must fell and how you are probably going over your options with hindsight

Rest assured you did the right thing and probably stopped this idoit from doing even more harm

Congrats!!:)

Thanks all for your nice comments.

The police got 3 witness statements and I my wife got photo evidence of him hitting the other car and mounting the kerb to escape.

cheers

Joe

Thanks all for your nice comments.

The police got 3 witness statements and I my wife got photo evidence of him hitting the other car and mounting the kerb to escape.

cheers

Joe

Well done Jone, congrats for dealing with the situation in the way you did, I wish there were more people out there like you.

Your efforts may be you've helped to teach a drink driver a lesson before he manages to hurt or even kill someone.

Seriously level headed in the situation, your actions made sure he got what he deserved. I take my hat off to you!

Thanks all.

I am going to see the MB approved bodyshop tomorrow, the insurance co have told me I can use them instead of their bodyshop but they will not provide a warrentee on the work or a courtesy car. Should I be worried about this?

The bodyshop I want to use did a great job of repairing the usual late W202 rust issues on my car last year so at least I know the quality of their work.

The good news is the police were not far behind, chased him, caught him and breatherlised him. This morning he was charged with drink driving (he was over twice the limit). Luckily no one was injured and my car is only needing a new rear door.

What a day! I have to say that this is the first time I have encountered traffic police and they were excellent, I think they were pleased to catch a drink driver as well.
Well done for making sure he got caught. As Recycled said though, be careful when trying to physically block a car from driving away.
Hope he is insured for your sake BUT some insurers refuse to pay under their T&Cs if the driver is over the alchol limit and under the influnce.

At least the scum has been caught.

What a load of poppycock, WTF do you reply with carp like that...?

Glad your O/K, would make me mad as hell, but metal and paint can be fixed.

Thanks all.

I am going to see the MB approved bodyshop tomorrow, the insurance co have told me I can use them instead of their bodyshop but they will not provide a warrentee on the work or a courtesy car. Should I be worried about this?

The bodyshop I want to use did a great job of repairing the usual late W202 rust issues on my car last year so at least I know the quality of their work.

Re the courtesy car - pick something similar sized to yours from a reputable hire company and your insurers (ULR) will get it back in full from the hire company as you were not at fault (put on plastic, or they may even hold the invoice for you as its part of a claim)

Warranty on the paint job is down to the body shop to guarantee to you (at least 12 months). Will using the MB approved keep your body work corrosion situation in check?

Close call!

I dont think I have a corrosion warrantee any more as the car is now over 8 years old:mad: .

However they did a good job of fixing the corrosion last year so it would make sense to go back to them as I am not paying the bill!

Re the courtesy car - pick something similar sized to yours from a reputable hire company and your insurers (ULR) will get it back in full from the hire company as you were not at fault (put on plastic, or they may even hold the invoice for you as its part of a claim)
All that is assuming the 3rd party does have insurance, of course!

I had a letter from the police today. The driver was convicted of drink driving & got a 12 month ban + £150 fine.

My car is at MB being fixed this week and is all being covered by the other parties insurance - they have even given me a Lexus IS as a hire car.

I have to say I am VERY impressed by the other parties insurance company, will be getting a quote from them myself at renewal time - Quinn Insurance.

All considered, a satisfactory outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom