Got my car serviced. Now got it on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TrickyTrev

55 went in for a big service recently. Not had a chance to get it on the road since.

What a big service. What an awesome thing. It feels a lot more than 476bhp when the taps are fully open...

I am astonished by how fast it is. How much of a sleeper it is, and how bloody expense a massive service at mercedes cost!

Still, as the odometer crossed 54k this week, I reckon it will have a very long life ahead of it, and I'm very happy to own it all the way to 100k - at least.

What a bargain. If you are thinking of buying one. Do.. Choose carefully and like me, you won't be disappointed! I also reckon I could sell it for more than I paid for it if I keep it in fine fettle over the next few years.

Cheers all

Trev

I bought mine in the late 40,000s IIRC and it is now on around 85,000 and running as well as it did then some 4 years later now this month.

Agree with your conclusions.

I chose a minter rather than a well-spec'd example and paid over book for it.

I've yet to be disappointed on the reliability front.

As for the power - I suspected mine wasn't quite standard and I was right (although I've never driven anything more powerful than 350BHP previously so not sure how I suspected even) but anyway - it was running at 510BHP.

OK, it is more now, but I love the fact it is a sleeper and most have no idea what it is. Gives some people a surprise sometimes with the exhaust and I've seen people look round to work out where it came from...

:bannana:

Same here with a 2002 plate and 54k on the clock. Its in chromoflair with designo leather.
My previous was a Maserati Granturismo - a much much more "beautiful" car but the MB is a beast extraordinaire. I have yet to floor it for fear of changing my pants!
Unlike the Maser - where everyone crowded around it and it became embarresing - the MB is almost invisible. The odd petrolhead drools over it but joe average just see it as yet another boring box of an MB. I am beginning to like this!
Of course one of the biggest noticeable differences is the cost of maintaining it. I could run two SL55's for the same as the Maser!
Everything - even the ABC pump is "cheap as chips"..........Maybe in 10+ years she will start to become an investment but I can see most SL55's dipping well below the 10k mark before they bottom out.
Johnnyboy - you say she was running below par @ 510BHP??? All (normal) SL55's are 493 - 508HP aren't they? Dependent on who you speak to?

Last edited:
Same here with a 2002 plate and 54k on the clock. Its in chromoflair with designo leather.
My previous was a Maserati Granturismo - a much much more "beautiful" car but the MB is a beast extraordinaire. I have yet to floor it for fear of changing my pants!
Unlike the Maser - where everyone crowded around it and it became embarresing - the MB is almost invisible. The odd petrolhead drools over it but joe average just see it as yet another boring box of an MB. I am beginning to like this!

Johnnyboy - you say she was running below par @ 510BHP??? All (normal) SL55's are 493 - 508HP aren't they? Dependent on who you speak to?

I have to admit that in the first week after I got the car, I found the power to be in a different league to what I had been used to previously and it took me a while to adjust. After that, I found myself flooring it left, right and centre and was averaging 11mpg/12mpg (I was still conscious of my licence hence not worse!).

Even though people look around as I mentioned above, they don't know it is my car for sure making that V8 burble - which I like. I don't like the obvious flashy car thing any more which I've found as I've got older. I'm more understated than overstated.

As you say - most petrol heads know what it is so they don't need to hear it.

No, I never felt it was below par, quite the opposite in fact. Not quite standard as in "more power than it should have had" and I may have been right.

They are supposed to be 476BHP / 469PS from the factory although I read an article from Renntech stating this was marketing bull and in fact most were around the same power i.e. around the 500 mark.

The reason I suspected it had a little more, as it turns out last year when I first got on Acid's RR, was that not only did it measure 510BHP, but also it had had the secondary CATs cut out and K&N air filters when I bought it.

I've always thought it might have been remapped already but actually thinking about it now, those changes alone with no remap would probably increase the power from late 4s to very early 5s.

I don't like the obvious flashy car thing any more which I've found as I've got older. I'm more understated than overstated.

I agree! I'd think I'd hate the attention a flash car would bring.....I'd blush and not know where to look when people would stare.....

Saying that, being the petrol head and German car lover that I am, I get more excited when I see a rare AMG than I do when I see a Ferrari. A C32/E55 AMG is to me a better spot than an F430! :)

Totally agree I love any Amg,, don't even bother looking at Ferrari or Lamborghini too boring and past the school boy wall picture,,

Johneboy: I hope you told the lovely insurance man about your pipes and chips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom