Got my new car, lucky find, chuffed as * with pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G-A-R-Y

Car
W210 320 CDI Estate
As you no I have been looking for a W210 buy got involved with the old W123 find.
Whilst looking through Auto-Trader to price it I found a E320 CDI (2000) in the wrong section with no picture.
I thought it was worth a look and went straight out to view. I bought it there and then and took it away, last night in the dark.
Boy O boy, am I pleased or what?
So far I have discovered, it has 77k miles with FMBSH, a new tail gate three years ago, heated seats, Memory seats,steering column, mirrors and head rest. A new set of tyres. Xenon lights, dimming interior and O/S door mirror.
Bad points, clonk/bang from O/S/F suspension, heater plug light stops on for a while and worst of all the display on the clock and gear position display is all broken up with pixels not working.
Here are some quick pics, BTW I paid 8k, did I do well.
I think it's better than the BMW I sold.
img_1328.jpg

img_1330.jpg

img_1331.jpg

img_1332.jpg

No doubting that it's a lot of car for the money. The trick is not to get suckered into spending too much on keeping it going.

If it needs new heater plugs then the old ones can be very difficult to remove, breaking sometimes, which isn't a good thing. Dealers have an air impact tool to get them out.

The display may well be just be a dodgy connector, but very fiddly and if it all comes apart then you will end up in a right mess.

Looks smart - fingers crossed the issues have simple and cheap fixes.

Nice spec, Comand retrofit and its just about complete!!:D

Clonk from the front may be drop links or anti roll bar bushes!

Washed it and I'm even more pleased, not a mark on it.
Just returned from "my" indy, heater plugs and fitting £100-ish, front ARB links and bushes £100-ish, oil and filter plus all other levels and read fault codes £100-ish. Max £300 total.
All I need to do is sort out the display, they quoted £300 plus, I said no thanks.
I'll go outside now and have a go at programming in my radio stations.
Regards Gary, a happy man.

there is a good description of how to fix the broken up display on the forum, do a search, all it takes is a bit of patience and a bit of elestic band!

found it
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18604&page=2

see martad's response... it works a treat, you will have to print it as it makes no sense unless you do it as you go along..

I'll start reading tonight.

Nice spec, Comand retrofit and its just about complete!!
biggrin.gif

Clonk from the front may be drop links or anti roll bar bushes!
Good man, you were right. ARB links and bar bushes.

Originally Posted by G-A-R-Y
a new tail gate three years ago
Money for nothing this was a good-will rust repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-A-R-Y
it has 77k miles with FMBSH

But that's OK as long as you keep up the FMBSH :)
It saves me getting the tail-gate done! and I wil keep up the service history just to aid resale value.

I don't know if you can see from my pics but the C/D player says Mercedes C/D 10 and on the right, the button says CDC. Can I just add a 10 disc changer and retain the use of the steering wheel buttons?

We did say when we told you to walk away from your first choice that you'd find a better one. Glad you did.

No doubting that it's a lot of car for the money. The trick is not to get suckered into spending too much on keeping it going.

If it needs new heater plugs then the old ones can be very difficult to remove, breaking sometimes, which isn't a good thing. Dealers have an air impact tool to get them out.

The display may well be just be a dodgy connector, but very fiddly and if it all comes apart then you will end up in a right mess.
Do you have any more info on the air impact tool? I work on Mercs and dont know of this tool but would be very interested. If they snap and they do it's head off, so it could save me a lot of hasel.

Health to enjoy.

Do you have any more info on the air impact tool? I work on Mercs and dont know of this tool but would be very interested. If they snap and they do it's head off, so it could save me a lot of hasel.

My Indy has already warned they may snap, if they do snap a local engineering company will come and drill it out and tap a new thread. He has use them a few times and has a price posted on his board £170 each. I used this company a long time ago (I was a mechanic once upon a time) They have been in Bristol forever-Victoria and Albert Engineering.

Changing the subject slightly, I have an Alpine HU with I-pod full speed, removed from my now sold BMW. If I fit this unit can it be integrated with the cars steering wheel controls. Does anyone make a kit or wiring adaptor.

These tools basically vibrate the plug free. Euro Car Parts were certainly selling them last year - price around £1k.

If £1K is a bit rich for occaisional use then give your local ECP branch a ring, they may be able to give you the name of a repairer who's bought one in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom