Got myself one these!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Jones Jr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
Honest I've never had any aspirations to be a hairdresser and thank goodness I still don't but I've always had a hankering for a small open top sports car. So, in the end it came down to a Honda S2000 or a Mazda MX5.

The little Mazda ended up getting the nod thanks impart to a massive selection of used one's for sale and the sheer VFM, not to mention the huge aftermarket parts and accessories support. The good woman was giving it the thumbs up too, just hope that doesn't come back to bite me. :(

Now, there's many versions from Mk1's up to the present day Mk4's, I opted for a Mk2 or Mk2.5 in either U.K. or JDM spec which can become rather confusing to a MX5 novice like myself, not to mention there was something like fifteen 'special' editions too with some having important mechanical spec differences.

In the end after having two false starts bidding and winning on eBay along with several trips to to view cars that were not to my liking (putting it politely) I ended up with a Mk2 (1.8) 1999 JDM 10th Anniversary Edition Mazda MX-5 10th Anniversary, sub 55K miles, one owner. The standard spec includes a six speed box, LSD, Bilsteins, uprated chassis bracing and I think there's some engine spec differences compared to the standard MX5 - possibly inlet cam, ECU tune and a slightly higher compression.

I might do a thread on the car if there's any interest as it needs a few jobs and a few modifications in due course. I'm sort of aiming to start using it next Spring, well that's the plan anyway :D

All going well I'm collecting it on Saturday.

Attachments

• mx-5_10th_anniversary_edition.jpg
    mx-5_10th_anniversary_edition.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Good for you, I'd love something similar, a chap at work has a H reg one, the paint is an awful condition and the wheels really rough looking but he loves it.
Says he keeps it like that so has no worries about parking it anywhere.

Personally I quite fancy a Z4 3.0ltr

That's very pretty. A thread would be great:thumb:

That's very pretty. A thread would be great:thumb:

:eek: Pretty! Is that good or bad? It's sort of negative in my book if you know what I mean. ;)

Personally I quite fancy a Z4 3.0ltr

Yes, those crossed my mind and also the Z3 but were dismissed very easily on several grounds. I still think the Z3's are a good looking machine and good value but the Mazda (and Honda) are not BMW's and I like that.

With nothing better to do (not) on a Friday afternoon and in anticipation of getting my new toy tomorrow I was searching the net for info and came across this. Doesn't he look young or more to the point my new toy is actually rather old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6HFEaZi5mI

Has it got the most important extra the compartment for the hairdryer.

The car the Lotus Elan might have been.
lotus
1284627599.jpg

mazda
1280px-2002_Mazda_MX5_NB_Mk2_Sport1%2C840cc_4-cylinder_DOHC_engine.jpg

Appart from twin webers, the backbone chassis, the fibreglass body , the dodgy rear suspension etc etc LOTUS = Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

Has it got the most important extra the compartment for the hairdryer.

Now that my friend could be a touchy subject...I've just informed one of buddies what I purchased and in fairness to you, you've been rather polite compared to what he said. :D

Last edited:
Well, I collected the little Mazda today, all of 200 miles away. What can I say? Loads really and not all positive which I'll come back to in due course. But the best bit was on A & B roads especially B's when you are doing 70 mph it feels like a hundred! Brilliant.

7.5 /10 so far, hopefully as I get to know the little car that score will increase.

P.s. Moonloops, there's not a chance in hell of me being able to drive one of these in high heels. :D

So, after a few runs generally speaking all is good. It will take a little bit of getting use to - the modest engine power even if it's not slow, the intimate cabin, driving with the roof down brings a new meaning to motoring but in a good way and above all is it's small overall size and that can be viewed as a bonus - c.1050kg giving 35 mpg with enthusiast driving.

Even if this is the honeymoon period it's definitely growing on me but early days yet, I should have a better balanced view in the Spring/Summer next year.

There's list of things to do but all rather minor, no real faults as such bar one or two common issues. I won't bore anybody with the details other than to say I've the whole Winter to sort it out with the aide of many club forums and plenty of worldwide parts and uprated parts suppliers. New tyres and a wheel alignment first & foremost and at sixty quid a corner for premium tyres they are hardly going to break the bank.

As you can see the rev limit is 7500, a standard 1.8 is 7 thou. I haven't really got clarification on the engine spec, there seems to be some confusion and conflicting info about but it's been reported it has a Mazdaspeed inlet cam and a different ECU map thus the higher rev limit. What I do know is my car is basically an RS version with some extra 'bling'. Which means it has an RS six speed box, Torsen LSD, Bilstein Sport suspension and extra chassis bracing. Regardless, I'm sure a standard Mk2 MX5 is just as much fun to drive.

Attachments

• mx5 dash.jpg
    mx5 dash.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Aww, so cute! However, I'll see your Mazda and raise you a bright green SLK! (see left)

You're so right about driving with the top down though, 70 mph feels dreadfully fast.

I also have a "to do" list on my little car, but I have to fund the improvements myself along with all my other commitments, so it's slowly, slowly catchee monkey.

Have a lovely time with it, will you be taking it off the road with Autumn approaching?

You're so right about driving with the top down though, 70 mph feels dreadfully fast.

Lucky that your roof was shut on the M6 yesterday :eek::eek::eek:

Aww, so cute! However, I'll see your Mazda and raise you a bright green SLK! (see left)

I also have a "to do" list on my little car, but I have to fund the improvements myself along with all my other commitments, so it's slowly, slowly catchee monkey.

Have a lovely time with it, will you be taking it off the road with Autumn approaching?

Thank you Lisa, I am enjoying it but have some reservations...it's not the car's fault though. Yes, it's going into hibernation for the Winter and it will be an ideal time to carry out some maintenance and what not.

Anyway, I was out in it today for a couple of hours with the roof down (like a kid with a new toy). Tipping along 'B' roads with no real traffic and I actually slowed down, that is a first. I was just taking everything in including plenty of fresh rural air and couldn't hear the phone, brilliant. I'm beginning to worry about myself! :D

Last edited:
I had new tyres fitted today plus a 4X4 wheel alignment. The car is now transformed to drive, far more than the usual improvement one feels after fitting new tyres.

The old Kumho ECSTA's were from 2011 which had good tread but it transpired they were past their best plus I reckon they may have suffered some flat spotting due to the car's general lack of use not helped by sitting unused for six months with with very low pressures all round.

The only downside now is, I can't imagine how I'll improve the driving dynamics by such a margin for such a modest outlay. May be fitting a complete poly bush kit should be next on the list?

Attachments

• Uniroyal RS3.jpg
    Uniroyal RS3.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 9
Well boll0x and boll0x again.

Did you know that to remove the carpet on an MX5 the dash has to be removed first, no? Either did I till tonight. I'm bit p1ssed off as I've already removed the seats, centre console, sill trims etc. :devil:

I suppose on a brighter note I could have bought a death trap S320 with an E-Class engine fitted! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom