Got to love eBay at times...

• Thread starter Deleted member 37751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

I’ve put our L200 up for sale via eBay auction because we’re leasing through the business. In my advert I state:

“Please make sure you do all checks (HPI, history etc) before placing your bid and make sure you have finance in place; if you can't do these then I'd kindly prefer if you didn't bid at all.”

I’ve just received this beauty of a message:

Attachments

• F2237CE3-C423-4A36-AA4D-A47C5942A910.jpeg
    F2237CE3-C423-4A36-AA4D-A47C5942A910.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 136
There is no end to the depths of moronic idiocy one can uncover on eBay.

People like that can breed :doh:

How many bidders are you expecting to pay for a HPI check, in the vague hope that they might win the auction?

"Whats the lowest you will take?"

"Will you exchange for a B-Reg Toyota with 700k miles on it, it has a Sony Headunit?"

"Whats the lowest you will take?"

"Will you exchange for a B-Reg Toyota with 700k miles on it, it has a Sony Headunit?"
Whilst they can become tiresome, I’ve grown immune to those “best cash price” type questions (do they ever actually end up buying any?)

It just completely flummoxed me why the ebayer didn’t want to spend a poxy £3/4/5 checking whether a circa £5,000 pickup has been written off or has finance etc outstanding on it - “you should know if you owe money on it or not.” - well, yes, good point but if it turns out I’m a liar and someone comes to tow away the vehicle after you’ve bought it because I owe money on the vehicle then you’re up shit creek!

It just completely flummoxed me why the ebayer didn’t want to spend a poxy £3/4/5 checking whether a circa £5,000 pickup has been written off or has finance etc outstanding on it

Or you the seller might spend the money and show the record in the sales info to promote the sale.
A potential buyer, or potential buyers, might end up bidding on several vehicles before there is a positive result for them. Personally I wouldn't waste any of my poxy money on anything but a likely purchase, and anyone not respecting this much wouldn't get my bid.

"You've agreed to buy it, just pay me and take it w/o inspection. That's the contract."

All too often buyers insist on a deposit at auction end, and then cash on collection. All unrealistic, in my view, for a vehicle that is remote and unseen.

My view is to advertise for a fixed price, negotiable of course. All inspections are invited. Auctions are to prone to boozy bids by wannabees.

But good luck.

Personally I wouldn't waste any of my poxy money on anything but a likely purchase, and anyone not respecting this much wouldn't get my bid.
Nice one. :thumb:

All too often buyers insist on a deposit at auction end, and then cash on collection. All unrealistic, in my view, for a vehicle that is remote and unseen.
/QUOTE]

It is the best available within the framework.
Deposit buys you the first rights to it and you can always sacrifice the deposit at point of collection (and possibly your eBay rating though contestable) if it isn't to your liking.
In any case, worded that way to minimise eBay's cut.
For big money stuff - inspect in advance. Maybe you are lucky and what you are buying is local but if not, the time and travel costs are likely the barrier. A rigorous line of questioning soon enough tells you the quality of the people involved. When they ask questions appropriate to the auction and respond to sensible answers coherently - chances are they are serious.

Last edited:
With vehicle auctions there is a great risk of easy button pressing w/o serious intent.
Requiring a deposit can show the wanabees sooner but still leaves a failed sale. Tbh I wouldn't give a deposit as on arrival to inspect and collect it creates added argument if the vehicle isn't as described. In truth I don't know if eBay would refund that part of the payment.

Far favourable is to state the price. Everyone is free to ask their questions, free to visit and inspect, free to negotiate (or not) and remove mo mo when both parties are satisfied.
There isn't opportunity for the excited button pressing of the auction, that then results in the non buyer jumping on a space ship and into a black hole.

Example.
A well equipped Vito was up for auction 180+ miles away, I requested the VIN, no response so I just watched.
Sold at auction (no reserve), but back on within days. I again requested VIN. Same result.

A month later it was BIN or offer. But for the storms last w/e I would have travelled, and stopped down yonder to see my lil girlie living in the smoke. He's sold it now, price unknown but had he been open with the VIN (and it was as expected) I would have bought it for more than his BIN, and would've been last month.

If / when I advertise I don't hide the registration (many do), as thousands see it as I drive anyway.
I print the VIN, it's no secret and not difficult to obtain.
I'm informed that with the V5 reference a new log book could be obtained, not sure about that but maybe some caution there might be best.

I also show all known service history, and detail works by self.

It's very true that it doesn't matter how much info I include there are dumb questions showing a person can't read.
The "what's your lowest price" usually gets a diplomatic response.
I ignore "You bring Southampton some one give you cash."

Example.
A well equipped Vito was up for auction 180+ miles away, I requested the VIN, no response so I just watched.
Sold at auction (no reserve), but back on within days. I again requested VIN. Same result.

A month later it was BIN or offer. But for the storms last w/e I would have travelled, and stopped down yonder to see my lil girlie living in the smoke. He's sold it now, price unknown but had he been open with the VIN (and it was as expected) I would have bought it for more than his BIN, and would've been last month.

"

That's down to the quality/openness of the vendor - and they lost out due to their actions (or lack of). Ultimately, it is about people and they do vary!

By way of a contrast I've just sold (via eBay auction) a motocrosser. It is still here and will be collected on Tuesday by a courier. My part of the deal was to break the bike down and strap to a pallet (buyer sent direct from Amazon a roll of packing plastic wrap yesterday) to cut carriage from £400 to £135. His part was to pay me in full via bank transfer a fortnight or so back (the day the auction ended). By doing that any concerns I may have had about the sale going ahead were alleviated and he gets spared a heavy carriage costs. When people are prepared to cooperate, all things are possible.

Just wait for...

Why do I need to check the condition of your car over as you should know if it has any faults or not?
Honestly mate, I think I’m being too civil with these people by encouraging them to carry out any checks both online and in person... I’ve even offered to send videos of it running and try and point out any signs of wear & tear but by the looks of it some people aren’t even happy with that..!

I can see why you as a seller would want to make sure that the buyer knows in advance anything that might eventually make them change their mind and not buy the car.

But why would you care if the buyer did an HPI check or not? They can do it before, after, or never... it should be immaterial to you, no? The HPI check would come back clean anyway so it will have no bearing on the sale regardless of when/if the buyer decides to do this.

That said, I have never bought or sold a car on eBay, so perhaps there's something I an missing here....?

But why would you care if the buyer did an HPI check or not? They can do it before, after, or never... it should be immaterial to you, no? The HPI check would come back clean anyway so it will have no bearing on the sale regardless of when/if the buyer decides to do this
Did you read the message I received? The bloke is saying why should he HPI the pickup, I should know if I owe money on something - do you not see the craziness in that? He’s effectively saying that, for the sake of a poxy £3 he trusts someone if they say it’s HPI clear.

Did you read the message I received? The bloke is saying why should he HPI the pickup, I should know if I owe money on something - do you not see the craziness in that? He’s effectively saying that, for the sake of a poxy £3 he trusts someone if they say it’s HPI clear.
Yes, I agree, the guy is an oddball, but I was referring to the comments made regarding the HPI in response to your post, discussing the HPI check - it's just not a concern for the seller, I would have thought.

Q. "What's your best price?"

A. "A really high one / the auction winner's bid".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom