Gotcha !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
I was up in Aberdeen at the weekend visiting my father-in-law , who is recovering from an operation .

I was amused to see this in the hospital car park :D

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0419a.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

It is good to see that illegal vehicles , which could cause untold problems for other motorists if involved in a crash with them , are being taken off the road .

Are they allowed to do that on private land?

What if that's a nurses car who can't afford to tax it until they get paid at the end of the month and didn't want to risk driving it on a public road?

Judging by the state of what is a relatively new car, they shouldn't be driving it anyway.

It isn't private land. Its open to the public - for it to be 'private land' you'd need to have the permission of the land owner to store the car which in this case i doubt they have.

m.

No problem with that here having previously been driven in and injured to by a learner driver with no L plates who was driving a car owned by her boyfriend's father and was therfore uninsured and the car was untaxed as well.

What I am unable to understand is why there would be any sympathy for someone who drives a car on the road that is not taxed and insured. It's illegal!

The sooner we adopt the approach taken in Ireland where drivers have to display tax and insurance documents the better IMHO.

Rant over.......

I think that car parks which are open to the public are now classed as part of the public highway for licensing purposes .

It's time VED was abolished, now we have the MID and the electronic MOT system there's no need to check in every 6 to 12 months and hand over a chunk of money for a paper disc.

No problem with that here having previously been driven in and injured to by a learner driver with no L plates who was driving a car owned by her boyfriend's father and was therfore uninsured and the car was untaxed as well.

What I am unable to understand is why there would be any sympathy for someone who drives a car on the road that is not taxed and insured. It's illegal!

The sooner we adopt the approach taken in Ireland where drivers have to display tax and insurance documents the better IMHO.

Rant over.......

I have lost out three times at the hands of illegal drivers : once many years ago by a drunk , unlicensed , uninsured driver who had allegedly 'stolen' the untaxed car registered to his father ; more recently to two uninsured drivers who hit our parked cars outside our house - one driving daddy's BMW for which she was not insured , the other driving an old Toyota which was neither taxed , insured nor MOT'D - that was the one which demolished my garden wall and wrote off the W124 in the drive !

So , sorry , but I find it difficult to have any sympathy for such drivers .

There's a bit of a story behind that one I believe on Pistonheads... That and another car I believe were abandoned for months/years there. Thought to be foreign doctors having moved back abroad or something. The other one's gone now!

ETA- Talking about the errant Panda!

There's a bit of a story behind that one I believe on Pistonheads... That and another car I believe were abandoned for months/years there. Thought to be foreign doctors having moved back abroad or something. The other one's gone now!

ETA- Talking about the errant Panda!

That's quite likely & it does happen. In fact it's not just foreign doctors either. A mate of mine who is a medic had major car trouble and bought a new car (as you do). He left the old one on hospital property to deal with later (he was a junior at the time and lived in hospital accomodation). Fast forward about 7 months and he was moving out into his own place, he suddenly remebered that he needed to do something about the car. I still remember his call asking for advice on tyring to move / dispose of the car at very short notice. In the end he passed it onto one of those 'cars bought for cash' type people who collected it.

I think that car parks which are open to the public are now classed as part of the public highway for licensing purposes .

True. Someone bumped my car in Tesco car park (was even with the mrs so using a disabled space - pretty good effort). They were about to drive off when I appeared in the doorway. Spoke to the cops afterwards to make sure the details were all ok and they classed it as an RTA because it would be part of the public highway. They even went round to make sure he coughed up for the damage (which I got done very cheaply I have to say £50 to the dentmaster chap).

m.

It isn't private land. Its open to the public - for it to be 'private land' you'd need to have the permission of the land owner to store the car which in this case i doubt they have.

m.

You'd think the hospital would have had the cars towed, got ownership and flogged them.

Now they've got the DVLA on the case they'll just squash them and nobody will benefit.

I think if the car has any reasonable value ( a '55' Panda may ? ) then they can be auctioned rather than being crushed .

Just curious.

What kind of untold problems would a crash with an untaxed car cause?

Just curious.

I agree. No more than a crash with any other car.

But, the driver may care less than a legal driver and potentially could be more dangerous.

The car may be more dangerous if not mechanically sound because no one bothered to keep it right.

Just curious.

Statistics show that untaxed cars are often not MOT'd or insured - because , when either of the other two are not in place , a tax disc cannot be obtained . Sometimes such cars are not registered to the 'owner' , nor may the 'owner' have a driving license .

Some insurers can also stipulate that the car must be taxed ( other than going for a pre-arranged MOT test ) otherwise insurance can be voided .

If you are hit by one of these illegal drivers , you can have all sorts of problems recovering losses from them .

I am with timskemp and would like to see VED abolished. It could be added to fuel (I know, I know... don't hit me for suggesting a fuel price hike :D ) and everyone would pay it automatically. Those who drive more would pay more and I don't see any other way that is fairer than that. Any one who chooses to drive a car that was only doing 10 miles to the gallon would be paying proportionately more tax. A VED tax of 0.02 on a litre ought to do it and any surpluses could go into a fund that compensated drivers who were involved in accidents with uninsured drivers.

Nothing wrong in principle with that suggestion .

You would then need to display evidence of insurance and MOT ( high time mini-certificates were supplied routinely for at least keeping in the car if not for display ) , the existing credit card sized MOT sticker could be used for display if put in a holder with details showing outward .

Or , you could just adopt the German system of taking away number plates if tax etc not up to date .

Nothing wrong in principle with that suggestion .

You would then need to display evidence of insurance and MOT ( high time mini-certificates were supplied routinely for at least keeping in the car if not for display ) , the existing credit card sized MOT sticker could be used for display if put in a holder with details showing outward .

Or , you could just adopt the German system of taking away number plates if tax etc not up to date .

why would you need to display evidence? There's enough ANPR going on to catch them anyhow, unless a parking attendant or member of the public reports an untaxed car the tax disc is seldom looked at anyway.

Add to that the new requirements for continuous insurance, and there's no escape.

The whole system needs a shakeup. I'd like to see the end of passengers being able to make a 3rd party claim agains a driver if they have voluntarily got in the car (would reduce claims hugely and premiums for young drivers). I'd like to see the end of the tax disc (and put nothing on fuel, it's high enough). I'd go to an optional, more rigourous 2 yr MOT for private cars to fit in with the newer 2 yr service intervals on them, a lower drink drive limit, plain speeding reduced from 3 to 2 or 1 points, and a proper provisional period for new drivers (say only allowed 1 passenger and 75bhp/tonne) until a second refresher test is passed after a minimum of 1 yr that involves motorway driving.

And get the NSL on motorways upped to 90mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom