Government announces new diesel plans.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The thing I cannot get my head around about diesels, is that every lorry /tractor/ ship /in the world is a diesel engine, so what's going to happen to all them?

I am sure the MOD binned all the petrol powered vehicles as well.

If you were cynical you might think it's just a way of ripping off motorists and their cars for what's a essential commodity and a source of enjoyment /pride.

But only if you are Cynical......We can trust the Politicians /Government cant we?

I don't think we will notice the difference.

Walking along the Marylebone Road at 8 in the morning in ten years time will be the same as now.

I don't think we will notice the difference.

Walking along the Marylebone Road at 8 in the morning in ten years time will be the same as now.

I'm not sure I totally agree. When I first came to London in 1988 I went for a run through Hammersmith. It was muggy and I could smell the stench of unburnt pertrol (no cats, loads of carbs). I wiped my brow on my my white T shirt and was shocked to see it covered in soot.

The unburnt petrol has long gone and the soot is greatly reduced.

When I cycle through the city now I can barely smell the petrols (occasionally get a whiff of sulphur from one which still has a cold cat) but I can smell loads of diesels I encounter, even the newest ones.

It would be good to get the thousands of people using them cold for repeated short hops off the roads as that can only improve air quality in the city.

It should be noted that the Governments official policy will not be revealed till Friday but I imagine this Telegraph article would have been deliberately leaked in advance. The government wanted to postpone publishing their proposals till post election but have been forced to release them after being subject to judicial review applied for by environmental solicitors Client Earth. Worthy of note is the targeted scrappage scheme would only apply to owners of older cars living/registered in polluted areas.
Also of interest Ministers will also consult on a retrofitting scheme, which is likely to be targeted at white vans and other more polluting vehicles. Drivers would be given grants to adapt their exhausts to reduce pollution levels.- Something previously discussed on this forum.

The thing I cannot get my head around about diesels, is that every lorry /tractor/ ship /in the world is a diesel engine, so what's going to happen to all them?

AFAIK this is over concerns of public health especially apparent in cities. The high density traffic in cities is a public health risk to pedestrian / vehicle occupants / residents.

Of wider concern to me is the growing aviation industry. The energy wasted moving millions of tonnes through the air at vast speed is staggering.

Last edited:
there is some mad statistic that 12 of the biggest container ships pollute more nox than all the diesels in europe.

2 grand discount off a new car??? Piss off, I could do better than that just walking in off the street.

there is some mad statistic that 12 of the biggest container ships pollute more nox than all the diesels in europe.

I'm sure I read that wood burning fires emit more particulates in London than cars do.

If that's true I'm surprised there are so many wood burners in London. I live a rural village and it's very noticeable here when it's not windy.

Some interesting points in the article.....a reduction of speed bumps!! There are roads round my way where you literally come to a crawl, creep over the bump then speed up to do the same over and over on a road you wouldn't hammer it down anyway.

As for the retrofitting idea, I'd gladly have whatever device retrofitted to my E Class if it was eligible.

As touched upon in this thread though, as much as there are many many car owners out there using diesels where it's really not suited. It's the commercial vehicles that certainly from being a city commuter, seem to be the ones chucking out the diesel fumes in the main part.

Aye, to be fair if they paid to retrofit something that didn't actually knacker the car I'd be up for it.

If you were cynical you might think it's just a way of ripping off motorists and their cars for what's a essential commodity and a source of enjoyment /pride.

But only if you are Cynical......We can trust the Politicians /Government cant we?

I do not know the difference and cannot work out how, but many larger diesel engines, as on ships, are 2 stroke diesel not 4 stroke. Is there a difference in NOX production on 2 stroke :dk:

Some interesting points in the article.....a reduction of speed bumps!! There are roads round my way where you literally come to a crawl, creep over the bump then speed up to do the same over and over on a road you wouldn't hammer it down anyway.

Unfortunately for ever 95 sensible motorists there are 5 idiots redlining cars round residential areas in London. On the main road near my house they have thankfully installed speed bumps and the Innit Bruvs are no longer passing the junction from my street at 60-70mph. Not much fun when you've got kids and/or are on a bike.

As touched upon in this thread though, as much as there are many many car owners out there using diesels where it's really not suited. It's the commercial vehicles that certainly from being a city commuter, seem to be the ones chucking out the diesel fumes in the main part.

I've always seen diesel as necessary in commercial vehicles and optional in private vehicles.

But of course, yes we need to see more electric/hybrid/hydrogen/WHY taxis, buses and commercial vehicles.

Presumably any government talk of compensation to encourage change is in response to the serious pollution accusations received by the UK. If there wasn't such a rush to be seen to be putting things right, wouldn't it be far simpler and cheaper to just almost reverse the existing VED enticements? Diesel car owners already benefit from the lower costs associated with better mpg, so why should they continue to receive the added benefit of lower VED now the cat is well out of the bag on NOx. Why should petrol car owners continue to be penalised?

Tighter regulations on new cars, including real world road testing, that stop the existing favouritism for diesels (that are currently less stringent on NOx levels) would provide a better long-term solution. The manufacturers need to do something about it now, they've known about the issues for very many years but chosen to ignore them because nobody is forcing them to do anything about it. Until they get it right, new diesel cars need to have an extra tax on them.

I wonder when MBUK are going to wake up and start making the full range of petrol engines available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder when MBUK are going to wake up and start making the full range of petrol engines available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. That's been my gripe for years. Doesn't only apply to MBUK - also to most other UK suppliers. What was it Henry Ford said, "You can have any engine you like as long as it's diesel." :dk:

I'm pleased to see the government have finally realised that instead of deliberately slowing traffic down, keeping it moving will reduce pollution. Better sequencing of traffic lights is one thing but I hope they also recognise that appalling management of road works is a major contributor.

One thing nobody thinks about is the caravaners, To tow with a diesel is different ball game as opposed to petrol engines. To achieve the torque the petrol version needs to be much larger which when not towing is way to big.

One thing nobody thinks about is the caravaners, To tow with a diesel is different ball game as opposed to petrol engines. To achieve the torque the petrol version needs to be much larger which when not towing is way to big.

I tow with my ML55, no such thing as 'way too big' :D:D

Plus its on LPG :thumb:

Ban caravanners. Simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom