GPO box home phone socket help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scorcher

Car
2004 E55 AMG
I've just finished renovating an old house, and the phone socket came loose and then went missing in the process - oops.

I've just got one of these inside the front door, running to the phone line outside the house

8594_1.JPG

So I need to find a an extension I can wire into this box - I can only seem to find extension kits that run off the new square BT boxes :(

help!

You could cut the plug off an extension and wire it into the socket, the wiring will be the same regardless. Please bear in mind that the BT socket is owned by BT and it's an offence to make unauthorised changes to the public telephone network! You might be better off asking BT to do it although they will charge you somewhere in the area of £150 for the work.

I guess I need a wiring diagram for a modern cable into the old GPO two wire box then?

I'm renting it out on Wednesday so need to get is sorted ASAP!

The line will be two wire only and needs connecting to a master socket by pins 2 and 5 using some internal telephone cable. Blue/white for 5 and white/blue for 2 iirc.

It has to be a master socket though, not an extension, otherwise the ringer won't work.
Master sockets have a capacitor and resistor in, slave sockets have nothing.

It has to be a master socket though, not an extension, otherwise the ringer won't work.
Master sockets have a capacitor and resistor in, slave sockets have nothing.

Seconded and the connections are spot on.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom