GPS accuracy W205 C-200 (2021 model year) Comand navigation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianluk

Car
W205 Premium Plus 220cdi
I have just taken delivery of a new C200 AMG-line Night Edition Premium Plus (replacing 5 year old c-
220d Sport Premium Plus) and notice the GPS position is frequently misaligned with map resulting in numerous spoken instructions to rejoin the route - very, very annoying! I have spent 2 days running 2 x over the air map updates so I believe the latest maps are loaded. This did not happen on Comand on my previous c220d.

I have run the standard navigation system and have not yet tried it using google maps through applecar. Using the geo-location function the system claims it is recognising 14 satellites. The areas when this occurs are not wooded or surrounded by other obstructions preventing a clear sky view. The problem occurs when following a planned route or not.

Is this a known problem with the latest COMAND release or do I need to take the car to a dealer?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Ian

No, this isn't right.

It can happen (rarely) when driving in a narrow street between very tall buildings.

But other than that, the most likely cause is a faulty GPS antenna.

While they are replacing the GPS antenna, I'd also ask them to update the firmware on the NTG5.5 unit to the latest version available.

If replacing the GPS antenna and updating the firmware doesn't fix the issue, than the COMAND processor itself is faulty and will need to be replaced.

Other less likely causes could be strong interference, e.g. from pylons etc, or from a device inside the car that emits RF radiation.

Last edited:
No, this isn't right.

It can happen (rarely) when driving in a narrow street between very tall buildings.

But other than that, the most likely cause is a faulty GPS antenna.

While they are replacing the GPS antenna, I'd also ask them to update the firmware on the NTG5.5 unit to the latest version available.

If replacing the GPS antenna and updating the firmware doesn't fix the issue, than the COMAND processor itself is faulty and will need to be replaced.

Other less likely causes could be strong interference, e.g. from pylons etc, or from a device inside the car that emits RF radiation.
Thank you for the speedy reply. I thought this might be the problem I will contact my local dealer (not the supplying dealer which is 200 miles away) on Monday.

As for using SatNav app via Apple CarPlay... the CarPlay protocol allows for both the car's GPS processor (and antenna) and the iPhone's GPS to be used, in order to allow for better satellite reception via the car's GPS.

But which one is actually used is determined by how the car manufacturer implemented the protocol specifically on their vehicles - so either is possible (and some use both). The only way to know is to try Waze or Apple Maps via CarPlay and see if the problem persists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom