GPS Antenna repair.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
The replacement antenna arrived yesterday from Germany for the grand sum of £12 inc postage so as it was nice today I thought I'd crack on and fix it.

New Antenna
20180405_163820.jpg

After removing the n/s boot lining the DVD drive was revealed
DSCF0195.jpg

When you remove a 10mm bolt from underneath, the whole unit swings out from the bodywork. Be careful not to catch any wires hanging over the steel cage.
20180406_134351.jpg

The blue fakra connection at the bottom left of the drive was removed and the new plug fitted. The cable was zip tied to the harness along with the old fakra cable. Its doing no harm leaving it there.
DSCF0198.jpg

It was also noticable that two wires in the n/s hinge harness had broken and shorted out against the hinge. Spot the black burns on the hinge?
20180406_135143.jpg

No idea what these wires did, but I stripped back the insulation and re -joined the two broken wires and taped them back with the rest of the hinge harness. It was at this point my camera battery failed so no more photos unfortunately.

I took Command Onlines advice and placed the new antenna in the rear parcel shelf area and securely tied back the cable away from the hinge.
After reassembly, the acid test was to see if it worked.

On turning on the Sat Nav, I still had a map of London, but I slowly drove off and within 25 metres the map flickered and I was back in Poole on the correct road shown by the map.

So thanks to all for the info I received, and I now have a working Sat Nav again and it cost me £12 and about 1.5 hrs of my time. Well pleased.

Do you have the web site where you bought the replacement lead please ty
The replacement antenna arrived yesterday from Germany for the grand sum of £12 inc postage so as it was nice today I thought I'd crack on and fix it.

New Antenna
View attachment 75776

After removing the n/s boot lining the DVD drive was revealed
View attachment 75777

When you remove a 10mm bolt from underneath, the whole unit swings out from the bodywork. Be careful not to catch any wires hanging over the steel cage.
View attachment 75778

The blue fakra connection at the bottom left of the drive was removed and the new plug fitted. The cable was zip tied to the harness along with the old fakra cable. Its doing no harm leaving it there.
View attachment 75779

It was also noticable that two wires in the n/s hinge harness had broken and shorted out against the hinge. Spot the black burns on the hinge?
View attachment 75780

No idea what these wires did, but I stripped back the insulation and re -joined the two broken wires and taped them back with the rest of the hinge harness. It was at this point my camera battery failed so no more photos unfortunately.

I took Command Onlines advice and placed the new antenna in the rear parcel shelf area and securely tied back the cable away from the hinge.
After reassembly, the acid test was to see if it worked.

On turning on the Sat Nav, I still had a map of London, but I slowly drove off and within 25 metres the map flickered and I was back in Poole on the correct road shown by the map.

So thanks to all for the info I received, and I now have a working Sat Nav again and it cost me £12 and about 1.5 hrs of my time. Well pleased.

Sent from my Alpha using Tapatalk

Hi, I done the same on my W220,2005 someone on here send me an old one of theirs and I fitted and away you go.
Far better than being ripped off by MB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom