GPS antenna

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Locky

Car
E220 cdi
This might be a silly question, but how exactly does the MB gps for comand see up through the dashboard?
I use a seperate gps system at the mo and it always needs a clear view of the sky. What is the difference with the MB antenna.
I'm looking to retrofit comand soon.

Its powerful enough to work through the thin layer of dashboard if you mount it on top of the instrument cluster / beneath the centre of the top of the dash. Got a clear enough view with mine installed like that for COMAND, and always picked up plenty of satellites.

The older receivers do need a clear view of the sky, however the newer ones are much better. The separate unit that I have at the moment to use with my PDA works downstairs in my house through three floors + the roof, so technology has certainly improved recently !

S.

Locky said:
This might be a silly question, but how exactly does the MB gps for comand see up through the dashboard?
I use a seperate gps system at the mo and it always needs a clear view of the sky. What is the difference with the MB antenna.

You don't say what car you have. I can only answer for the W211 E where the aerial is mounted at the join between the roof and rear window. It uses the same aerial for mobile phone installations.

Locky said:

The Mercedes NAV supplies power to the antenna. Hence it is sensitive to the signal penetrating the dash (we are being slowly cooked by microwaves so the Earth feels warmer but isnt).

Some materials are transparent to microwaves.

The head unit ramps up the voltage slowly over a period of minutes. When the antenna attains operating sensitivity (max sats) the head unit is optimally set for GPS signal detection. This self adaptation is the reason why the head units can operate in the same way in several different cars and several different modes.

DieselE said:
You don't say what car you have. I can only answer for the W211 E where the aerial is mounted at the join between the roof and rear window. It uses the same aerial for mobile phone installations.

We have an E Estate (S211) and I have been told recently that the GPS antenna is in the 'spoiler' containing the 3rd break light on top of the rear window. This is made of plastic and has a clear view to the sky...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom