GPS signal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zoros

Car
SL55 AMG
Very strange. Currently my integrated Sat nav is out of date so I tried using an after market Garmin and Tom Tom. It won't work - no satellite signal apparently. Now I moved both these into my Audi and they work fine? I then took them out, watching the satellite strength signal and walked towards the Merc from all directions and within a couple of feet of the merc, the satellite signal cuts out??? WTF?
Anyone any answers why this is being blocked and how the technology works. Never heard or seen this before.:fail

Thanks in advance

Z

A couple of questions:
  1. Was the car powered up and running, or switched off?
  2. What's the satellite signal like on the inbuilt unit with the car in that position?

Car was switched off.
Inbuilt sat reception was perfect, but not working as it was out of the disc driver.

It 's as if there is a bubble around the car. I came at it from all angles and as soon as either mobile sat nav got anywhere near the car - they lost satelitte reception???

Weird!

Does it happen with the car parked elsewhere?

Does the car have a heated front screen. I think this can have a shielding effect on sat nav signal?

As I said, the roof was down when I did this test. The windscreen was not in the way. I came at the car from all angles even from above the windscreen out in the fresh air and still the satelites disconnected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom