GPS Trackers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plodwyn

Car
c63
Can anybody recommend a tracking device fitted to the car that I can access via smartphone/ computer to check its location, speed, movement, breakings etc. Seen some cheapo ones but would prefer some advice on anybody who can vouch for any decent systems?

I have had an el cheapo chinese tracker in my car for a good few years now. I can phone it, then I get a text with location, Lat/Long, current speed, a link to google maps with its current location. I can also dial into the alarm to listen to anything that may be going on in the car, there is also a relay that I can power on or off.

The sim has used about £1 in the 3 years I have had it, just a GiffGaff sim with call credit.

SmarTrack (Global Telemetrics), I use their Trident, as well as them tracking it, i can track on my pc and phone

Got a tracker fitted to mine,can log in and track it on your phone no problems,not the cheapest though,about £700 for 3years but insurance dropped with this fitted:thumb:

I sometimes help out at a motorhome hire firm which uses back2you Real Time Tracking and GPS Tracking Solutions - Back2you.com

There's purchase and annual costs, but the information is good: visual live information on map (including satellite view), speed, whether ignition on, how long since last moved.

Seems accurate within a couple of metres. No need to phone or otherwise trigger it. Can log on anytime from anywhere using ordinary internet (and password). There's also an app.

You can view current status, or name the time period and it will reconstruct for you a list and a map, showing all locations, times and speeds involved. (You know where, when, and how fast the garage took your car!)

The vehicle data update every couple of minutes if phone signal is good; if the vehicle enters a deadspot it shows the last known location until it contacts again. Very impressive.

Last edited:
A friend has just got a SIM based tracker fitted to his RS, after his last car was stolen when thieves broke into his house. He called it an 'IT' tracker, or something - though I've yet to find the details.

Said it was about £300 fitted, and as well as tracking allowed the car to be remotely disabled. No annual costs either I think. I'm definitely interested.

I'll get more details from him today and try to remember to post them here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom