Gracenote Database

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbenz76

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 AMG Night Edition Premium Plus Saloon
How does the Gracenote database work on COMAND to display CD title information?

Is this a fixed database on COMAND which is referenced when the CD is inserted or is the information stored on the CD and simply read into COMAND?

I am curious because I didn't realise that COMAND could do this and I have only used this sort of title matching on a PC before, which looks the info up off the internet.

I put a CD in today that was released after my car was built so I assume it gets the info from the CD, but don't know for sure.

Can't remember the wording now but it said it was using the Gracenote database.

Is this a fixed database on COMAND which is referenced when the CD is inserted or is the information stored on the CD and simply read into COMAND?
AFAIK, the database is stored locally, and can only be updated when connected to a STAR system. There's lots of information in the FAQ on Gracenote's website.

If indeed the database is fixed and is not using info from the CD itself how the heck does it know about a CD that was released after my car was made!

mbenz76 said:
If indeed the database is fixed and is not using info from the CD itself how the heck does it know about a CD that was released after my car was made!

AFAIK, the COMAND unit in my 2004 SLK doesn't use Gracenote at all, but it will identify the tracks on some CDs . I've always assumed this was because those CDs had CD-Text.

I presume your COMAND unit is a newer model, but it can probably still read CD-Text where this is available, which would explain how it can also identify more recent CDs. Encoded CDs sometimes carry the CD-Text logo on the casing but failing that, if you have a home hifi that displays CD-Text you should be able to check this theory easily enough.

I think the gracenote database is on the map update disks. There is a updated map for W212 which someone else posted that MB dealers would install F.O.C.

Richard

I think the gracenote database is on the map update disks. There is a updated map for W212 which someone else posted that MB dealers would install F.O.C.

Richard

That is a good point, the gracenote database can have data for CDs that were released after the car was built but I believe MOCAŠ is correct too, modern CDs have this info stored on the CD while old ones do not and Comand should be able to read it.

The Comand will be reading CD text from the CD. eg on iTunes when burning a CD; CD text can be selected. For an older CD before CD text, the CD Data would be added on iTunes would have this info on the burned CD. Same goes for DTA CD / DVD.

My car is in today for hesitation update and injector reset and when I got there this morning they told me there was a free update for the nav and they would do that as well. God only knows why it will take 4 hours though!

My car is in today for hesitation update and injector reset and when I got there this morning they told me there was a free update for the nav and they would do that as well. God only knows why it will take 4 hours though!
I asked for an update when I took mine in for a service - they also said it would take 4 hours? Why is that? Can't they design a decent interface to upload the data quicker - if anything took 4 hours to load on a PC you would take it back as broken.

Anyway - they asked to keep it another day as the upload failed - which I agreed to but now I have it back the maps and gracenote do not appear to have any more correct data than when it went in. How do I tell if they actually updated it? Does anyone know the software version numbers?

W212 E350CDI with command

Unfortunately it does take a very long time to copy the data from the CD to the built-in Hard disk drive... probably a couple of hours or so.

As for the version, there are hidden menus on COMAND - Engineering Menu and Dealer Menu - which will display screens with the version information.

Once you figure out which version of COMAND you have - check at Mercedes Electronics upgrades, installation and retrofits - search online for the Engineering Mode sequence for your COMAND.

This is from MY09 COMAND NTG2.5 manual:

Gracenote® Media Database

This function is only available in audio CD mode.

CD information including album title, artist name, and track name is obtained from the Gracenote® Media Database. A version of the Gracenote® Media Database is stored on the COMAND’s hard drive. Access to this database is indicated by the Gracenote logo being displayed in the lower right of some audio displays.
Many audio CDs contain CD text. COMAND uses the information contained in this text for displaying the name of the artist, album and track.
If the audio CD does not contain any CD text, COMAND can recognize unknown audio tracks in CD audio mode with the aid of the Gracenote Media Database. For this to happen, the corresponding information must be stored in the Gracenote Media Database and the “Read CD Database” function must be switched on.
If this is the case, COMAND provides the corresponding data, such as name of artist, album and track, in the corresponding displays and lists.

If COMAND accesses the Gracenote Media Database while reading an audio CD, the following information is displayed:

(image)

Switching "Read CD Database" Function On and Off

Switch to audio CD mode (page 136). Select CD -> Read CD Database.

The function is switched on or off depending on the previous state.

Updating the Gracenote® Media Database

As new music CD releases occur it is neccessary to update the Gracenote Media Database. Optimum Gracenote® music recognition function is only achieved when the most up-to-date database is available in your vehicle.
You can have the music recognition software updated at an Authorized Mercedes-Benz center by means of a DVD or perform the update process yourself.

The Gracenote® Media Database is updated at the same time as the map software (page 48).'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom