Grafting W215 seats into an older Merc ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChasesDragons

Car
Land Rover
Hi all
I am trying to find out info on how I could have the W215 CL seats installed into an older Merc (eg W114).

All I want is the electrical adjustments to work - Memory is not needed, Heating and Vibratory functions would be welcome by that is a bonus.

Can these seats alone, be just unscrewed out of a W215 and installed into another vehicle and powered up to give at least adjustments. Or, am I going to need all kinds of Body control models and whatnot too?

Any advice appreciated.

All I would say is that these are seriously, seriously heavy seats. Probably in the order of 60kg each.

That’s without any of the complications to do with fitment and electronics (which I wouldn’t be as bothered about)

Probably better off sourcing something like fancy retro Recaros with all the bells and whistles if going into an older car? Just IMHO :)

Hello,
I suspect the overall weight would have only increased a wee bit as the vehicle is reasonably stripped down?

But, I had no idea these were so heavy.

I would love an ultra comfortable set of modern front seats. Even better as manual. Older recaros would be well used by now.

Any more ideas appreciated? I am will to drop into the gutter and source Audi, BMW or Saab seats - as far as they are nice leather. I love the look of the Mini "Lounge" seats too. But I haven't heard much on their comfort.

Need to be tilting for a coupe.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Don't shoot me. BMW seats have all the electrics and switches built in so only need a 12v feed so much easier to retro fit. The M6 e63 seats are the best seats I've ever owned :)

The multi contour dynamic seats in my 212 are controlled through Comand. The seats have no physical buttons in the way the seats in previous generations did.
Without the physical buttons, controlling the seats will be quite a challenge.

Most electric seats though you can dump any memory / controller modules and wire direct to the motors in the seats but it is a faff. Plus you would need to graft a switch into your door panel and use the looms from from something lo tec say like a 124.

Dunno about 215s though but iirc 216 seats have side mounted runners which would be a pain to retrofit

I had a look at the E63 seats. They do look comfortable. Mercs LOOK comfortable, so aesthetics are on the Merc side.

That is an interesting idea re lo tech switches to run modern seats. I can grab some w114 switches to run 124, 215 type seats, I guess. I[emoji102]

You won’t be able to adjust the seats easily unless the controllers that are behind the door cards came with them. There’s also an air pump and a reservoir that inflates the bolsters or massages lower back (depending on the type of options available for the model). A complete retrofit is not impossible but involved.

If I ended up with a pair of bare seats, I’d try to dissect the wiring and power up the motors to adjust the position, then add some switches.

Alternatively if you’re sold on having some later Mercedes seats, get a pair of manually adjustable ones? Cheap to source and no headaches with wiring.

W207/4 coupe seats are the retrofit seat of choice as the partial electric ones have most of the seat controls on the side of the seat (forward and backward movement are manual)

Just avoid the fully electric / C63 ones as they will be a pain

Mercedes E Class W207 Coupe Leather Seats | eBay

Just a random set but pic 7 shows the seat controls on the side.

The multi contour dynamic seats in my 212 are controlled through Comand. The seats have no physical buttons in the way the seats in previous generations did.
Without the physical buttons, controlling the seats will be quite a challenge.

Making them fold to fit a coupé would probably be more of an issue though :doh:

Aside from that, the seats in my 212 were quite uncomfortable on long journeys. No idea why, and mine had all the bells and whistles too.

Alternatively if you’re sold on having some later Mercedes seats, get a pair of manually adjustable ones? Cheap to source and no headaches with wiring.

That's a good point Alex. I have been looking at the w209 seats which were in my 270 CL. I have seen the offered as manual. But, they were never particularly comfortable. I would like something a bit plush if at all possible. I have an hour commute each way now and life seems a tad more hurty as I plummet towards half a century of life !![emoji849]

I would say it’s doable, I can’t remember the wiring to the several motors but the heater elements were easy enough to hack into when I took mine apart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom