Grammer and Spelling

Does Grammar Matter On Forums?

• No - I just want to get my message across and I've got bigger things to worry about

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Yes - it's very important for the written word to be correct because I is educated

Votes: 52 59.1%
  • How can someone who owns an MB not know the basics?

Votes: 17 19.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I find it very important to get my own spelling and grammar correct even though I probably don't always manage it.

I don't care if others don't spell words correctly or mess up their grammar - as long as I can read it.

I can't stand too many words in one paragraph.

No punctuation at all is hard work.

Txting is just a lazy annoyance!

I personally think that it's something people should focus on and make an effort with. I appreciate that some people do actually have problems like dyslexia, but the large majority are just lazy. Your and you're for example aren't that hard to understand, but people don't even realise they're wrong.

My other half is a speech and language therapist, so it's definitely something that's important to us and something that will be heavily concentrated on when we have children.

I do feel that both spelling and grammar are becoming more and more overlooked by the general population. A man on TV this evening used the word drug instead of dragged and we were both horrified :p

I personally think that it's something people should focus on and make an effort with. I appreciate that some people do actually have problems like dyslexia, but the large majority are just lazy. Your and you're for example aren't that hard to understand, but people don't even realise they're wrong.

My other half is a speech and language therapist, so it's definitely something that's important to us and something that will be heavily concentrated on when we have children.

I do feel that both spelling and grammar are becoming more and more overlooked by the general population. A man on TV this evening used the word drug instead of dragged and we were both horrified :p

Was that the Cat programme? We picked up on that comment but thought it was an American thing.

Was that the Cat programme? We picked up on that comment but thought it was an American thing.

It was. Absolutely horrified! I don't think it's an American thing, or at least I hope it's not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't bother me one jot, as long as I can read the post clearly, I don't care.

It is obviously far easier to read if the posts are spelt correctly and the apostrophe is in the correct place, but I prefer poor grammar and bad spelling to people being picked on because they may struggle with it.

A few paragraphs however is something I prefer, as I simply struggle to read huge blocks of text on a screen, my brain seems to simply shut off, so I tend to ignore those replies. In fact I don't even care if they are proper paragraphs, just add a space every now and then to break the reply up.

I think the chap who wants us to join his 45 year old group weirdo matey bloke who posts on here spells the best.

I know how to get it right, so I do. I do think it matters, but provided I can understand what someone is saying, I'm not too fussed how others do it; I accept that not everyone can get it right, and I'd rather that, than that they not express their opinions.

I do rather draw the line, though, at those who seem to glory in their own ignorance, and post disparaging comments about others who do not share that ignorance.

I do try to use the correct grammar and spell correctly. Some of the long posts on here use no grammar whatsoever and I find it very difficult to read.
My mum was a teacher and then worked in law. She always told me to read and write as much as possible.She now uses text speak in her messages to me. She is 71.:dk:

I do rather draw the line, though, at those who seem to glory in their own ignorance, and post disparaging comments about others who do not share that ignorance.

I love those that come back and say "I'm not ignorant, I just didn't know enough about the topic I was replying to!". :D

I’m like gIzzE ..I prefer it to be written correctly, but ultimately, as long as it reads ‘OK’, I’m happy.

And I DO NOT (oops, sorry ….) like things (especially full paragraphs) in block capitals. I’ve even ignored something on that well known auction site WHERE THEY ADVERTISE IT IN CAPITALS, BOLD, SIZE 20 AND BIGGER FONTS … etc, etc.

Fill my page with capitals, multiple colours, and I’m off!

I don't think forums are the place for insisting on perfect grammar and I would never criticise anyone publicly for grammar errors. Presumably there is a grammar forum where that can be indulged in. We all do typos occasionally so I don't mind them. Some abbreviations are OK but text speak is a big turn off. It would change how I value a posters comments if it sounds like they are wearing a base ball cap backwards. That's just my age and probably a prejudice on my part. If it sounds casual then the thought that went into it may be casual.

It be like you iz not lissenin' to wot I iz sayin' man like...innit......loosers !!!

Last edited:
If you tell that joak on here again I'm gonnae boak.

Just to squash any doubts about the validity of my post, I think we may be witnessing the onset of an epidermic and must cordially inform you that he's the third dyslexic mate of mine who has snuffed it in this way after reading Robinsons Cursoe. :D

"LISTEN, I'M NOT DYSLEXIC! K.O.?" :mad:

All joking aside, I make no secret that I REALLY struggle with reading, writing & spelling but I try to do my best when posting.

Ant. :D

I've never noticed any errors and have always found your posts a pleasure to read, Ant. :thumb:

I'm sure my grammar will be all over the place because I write as I would speak, but it's not hard to spell (especially as most devices have a spell-checker) And like gIzZe states earlier it's those who write without paragraphs that make you just switch off.

Also bugs me when people say they're dyslexic when they're either just lazy or plain thick, my cousin has dyslexia and seeing what he went through when we were growing up was sad and for people to use that as an excuse when they're not really pisses me off.

Everyone makes the odd mistake now and then, but I tend to ignore posts that are littered with gaffs and/or "txt spk" U no wut I meen m8 :)

I also tend to ignore the lazy folks asking silly question that probably answered in the car handbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom