Gran Turismo Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
I'm guessing that as this is a motoring forum, at least some of us are familiar with the "Gran Turismo" series of racing games on the Playstation. I've been a fan since the original came out on the PS1 many years ago, and have bought every iteration since, but I have to say I'm bitterly disappointed with the new version.

Because the new game was only coming out on the PS4 (and I still had a PS3) I had to buy a new console. But that's all right, because I'm going to get hours of enjoyment out of it.

Now the first hitch - I have a seat and steering wheel that I use to play GT6, but I have to upgrade the wheel because my old one, surprise, surprise, isn't compatible with the new console. Hmm, this is getting a bit expensive. But that's all right, I suppose, because I'm going to get hours of enjoyment out of it.

Wednesday was release day, but rather than buy a disc I go for the download version, which is more expensive but comes with extra cars and in-game credits to buy more - always part of the fun of the game. And that's all right, isn't it?. Because I'm going to get hours of enjoyment out of it.

Well of course, the download takes frigging hours (in total 61GB!! - that wouldn't have fitted on my PS3 as it's only got a 40GB hard drive) so I can't play the game then anyway. But it doesn't matter, because I'm going to get hours of enjoyment out of it. And I can wait till the weekend, I'm not a little kid.

So we scroll forward to today, and Mrs. Gaz is going out so I get a monopoly on the big telly. I get myself all set up, get the game running and it's all good. It looks utterly gorgeous and all that money was clearly well spent.

And then, dear reader, I start to play it. And quickly discover they've ruined it completely. Rather than a continuation of the existing 6 games (which have all been pretty much the same in terms of gameplay, just with better graphics/more cars, tracks, etc.) they've decided to re-invent the wheel. For a start, nothing is held locally on the PS4 itself, it's all on Sony's servers (wherever they are on the planet), so if you're not connected to the internet you're basically stuffed. I never connect my Playstation to the internet because IT'S A ****ING GAMES CONSOLE! It sits under the telly and shuts the **** up.

When you do start to play, there's very little to do on the console itself, apart from getting your driving licence so you can race online or a few tracks in "Arcade Mode" (which has never been that much fun, and seems to have been pruned significantly in this version anyway). The "Career Mode", where you raced to earn money, buy more cars and progress up through the classes of racing, has gone completely. That's what has wasted so many months of my life over the years.

So I look at the online mode, and TBH it's not something I want to play. First of all, it's all about serious racing. You have to sit through patronising lectures about motor racing being a non-contact sport and not using the guy in front as a brake or punting people off because they're holding you up. FFS, IT'S A GAME! The whole point of playing it is that you can get away with stuff you can't do in real life. Otherwise I'd just take my car on a track day.

And finally, you can't even access the online mode without a Playstation Plus account, which of course is a subscription thing. I've shelled out the thick end of a monkey on this lot (which, of course, is OK, because I'm going to get hours of enjoyment out of it), but that's not enough for Sony, who want to gouge me for at least another fiver a month (at time of writing) for the privilege of continuing to play.

You can guess, In summary, I'm not a happy camper. I feel like I've been properly bent over by Sony and the hours of entertainment I promised myself when buying all this shit can basically be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Live and learn, Gaz, live and learn.

I have Project Cars 2 which is amazing and such an improvement over the original, not going to bother with GT Sport due to the awful offline features.

It came out last month, only thing it doesn't feature is a Nurburgring TF mode.

All your capital letter bits, it's 2017. Plug it into the net. What's the problem? You say "It's a game" with exacerbation like a game has no place to request further content from the mothership.

Honestly, it's going in the right direction, you're going against the grain.

It's all OK Gaz, just think of the hours of fun you're going to have.... ;)

Last one I bought was GT4. Yes the graphics got better with each game but for me it was just a case of same sh!t, different day. Spend ages trying to get that 0.01 off the time to get a license, doing the clubman cup over and over to boost funds to improve the car etc,etc.
I prefer GTA as you can have a bit of fun with it if you fail a mission.

You might be interested in the latest episode of the gadget show. They raced a c63 in project cars 2 and in real life to compare how close they are.

I've bought it and quite like it but. I had to change my steering wheel as my G27 wouldn't work with the PS 4 Pro (I bought the Pro for Skyrim in 4K) luckily there was an offer for the G29 and my G27 sold the same day on Gumtree so in effect the new G29 cost me £100.
In 4K the game is stunning but compared to the previous version a bit of a let down. The chap who works for me is a real games fanatic and loves it, he races online and says it's the best game to date for him as you are penalised for bad driving so online isn't a destruction derby but a proper gentleman's race.
Myself I just enjoy the driving/racing sim, I bought an SLS the other day and I'm enjoying racing that around. I do enjoy the replays of the race because they look so realistic. The sound is much improved and luckily for my wife I've got it set up in a separate room so my surround sound blasts out and my shouts of 'oh f**k' when I crash doesn't disturb the s**t she's watching.
Like gaz 1 I feel it's a bit of a let down but also realise it's the way games are going these days. The chap who works for me says Forza 7 is very good but as I've bought into Playstation don't really want to buy another console and wheel so it's a case of make the most of what you've got for me.

Thank you gaz for sharing your experience and saving people like me from also getting a sore bum. Hope the pain eases off in time.
I will give it a miss because I now rarely get the time to play on my GT4 but to find the internet is down. However at least I can still play off line. Also I must put the older steering wheel on ebay, I'm already on my second for compatibility reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom