Granite worktop: resize cutout?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tylerdurden

Is this possible?

The cutout is for an induction hob. Want the cutout made a bit larger to fit a new induction hob.

Can this be done? Preferably 'onsite'.

TIA

It can be done, but in my experience it is fraught with pit-falls.

If you can, get in touch with a company that fits granite worktops and get them to do it.

They will be used to 'adapting to fit' in-situ.:thumb:

It can be done, but in my experience it is fraught with pit-falls.

If you can, get in touch with a company that fits granite worktops and get them to do it.

They will be used to 'adapting to fit' in-situ.:thumb:

Seconded. Depends on how much you need cut out but I can tell you from bitter experience that a numpty with an angle grinder is not the answer!

I think it needs to go back to the workshop c/w template.....get the job done properly......just as you would want for your car.

Mic

If you are near Nottingham I know a few kitchen fitters who install granite

Just a thought................had you considered modifying underside of the hob to fit the existing cutout ? - of course this would only be viable if the hob design was suitable for tweaking.

at most it will be a matter in increasing by no more than 1cm.

Seemed a bit OTT to take the worktop off and send to the workshop just for that. hence my question.

at most it will be a matter in increasing by no more than 1cm.

Seemed a bit OTT to take the worktop off and send to the workshop just for that. hence my question.

10mm. is as good as 1000mm. when it comes to fettling granite worktops.

Mic

I wonder if it is possible to get blades for jigsaws or reciprocating saws suitable for cutting stone ?

If it was only a small modification , this would be the easiest way .

I can't see why a diamond blade for a grinder won't work if you are careful to not run onto the surface at all.
The edge doesn't need to be perfect as the edge of the hob will cover it.

You would be best to remove the worktop to move it to a better place for working on and put some wooden edge formers down to be sure of your cuts.

I have used the above method on porcelain floor tiles.

Last edited:
Decent granite tops are usually a minimum of 30mm. Any thinner and they are liable to crack.
Thats a big chunk to try to carve out with a domestic jigsaw.
Granite is normally cut using a carborundum wheel continuously cooled and lubricated by copious quantity of water. Difficult, if not impossible to achieve in situ.
I have heard of people trying to cut them at home using an angle grinder with a diamond wheel - but I wouldnt try it.

Last edited:
Cut in-situ and it'll take a week to clear up the mess!! Better by far to take the pain of removing and doing it at the workshop.

It's a pity Mudster's not here any more he'd have known the best course of action.

Is the hob on the same run of worktop as the sink?

This may work, but the dust is uncontrollable and watch for heat build up in the job that can crack the job.

These cut outs are normally done with a router type machine, with a very expensive cutter. They run the cutter around a template, and progressively plunge the cutter deeper into the granite.

When my Granite was fitted, the they did all the 30mm worktops in the factory, but put the taphole in on site, using a mini grinder with a diamond hole cutter attachment. They also cut the 20mm upstands to length, using a mini grinder with a diamond disc.

If you have the right diamond disc (Norton are very good in my experience) and can mask the area / don't mind the clean up, there is no reason you cant do it in situ quite easily.

The right disc will cut through easy, the wrong one like a cheapo market / aldi one will just bounce around. I know from experience after doing a lot of stone tiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom