Graphics Card??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
Right following on my Java exploit problem, I have been cleaning out , tidying up and trying to make my computer go wizzier! I ran Windows 7 performance rating thingy and it said that my computer is 5 out of 7 for most things but 2 out of 7 for graphics (which do hang sometimes). It says on the motherboard ATI 200 express but i guess that is an onboard graphics thingy! In case it matters my motorboard says it a 775 twins-HDTV with 2 Rams! Any informed helped greatfully received!! More Graphics or more Rams???

Found this listed, hope it helps!

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Xpress Series (0x5A61)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A61&SUBSYS_5A611849&REV_00
Display Memory: 831 MB
Dedicated Memory: 127 MB
Shared Memory: 703 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: Q191WB-4
Monitor Id: VSCD121
Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (59.887Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: atiumdag.dll,atiumdva.dat,atitmmxx.dll
Driver File Version: 7.14.0010.0590 (English)
Driver Version: 8.501.0.0
DDI Version: 9Ex
Driver Model: WDDM 1.0
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/3/2008 04:19:52, 3401216 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-1921-11CF-B779-6B7AA1C2CA35}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x5A61
SubSys ID: 0x5A611849
Revision ID: 0x0000
Driver Strong Name: oem2.inf:ATI.Mfg:ati2mtag_RC410:8.501.0.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_5a61
Rank Of Driver: 00F62001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C
Deinterlace Caps: {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
DXVA-HD: Not Supported
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

What do you do with the thing? Gaming? photo/video editing? For general Internet browsing your onboard graphics adaptor is fine.

More RAM is always good, although if you have 32bit OS it will not support more than 3gb.

But... your graphics adapter has 831 MB of RAM, of which 127 MB are on the adaptor itself, and 703 MB come off the main PC memory. So if you make sure your PC has 4 GB RAM, then the OS will get its full pound of flash and so will the graphics adapter. That should keep everyone happy.

On the other hand, if you have 64bit OS, than you can stick in (much) more RAM...

Also... if the computer is hanging... it is likely to be either hardware or software issue, but not related to the type/make of graphics adapter as such, if it is not faulty then it should work fine - when stretched, it will slow down or not reach the higher resolutions etc, but should not cause the PC to just hang.

So thats a vote for more RAMs! I noticed in the performance section it gave you the option of using attached drives for extra memory, is that like to be of any help?

It won't be as quick as adding dedicated RAM due to the speed of access with external drives (or USB memory sticks etc).

You can pickup half decent graphics cards for about £50 nowadays!

S

edit: If you Ctrl,Alt,Del and then go to Performance tab on task manager you can see how much memory is in use at any time.

Do not use USB sticks for additional memory, I have a very fast USB stick 4Gb, and my computer which is not short of memory slows right down when I tried to use it.:wallbash:

It won't be as quick as adding dedicated RAM due to the speed of access with external drives (or USB memory sticks etc).

You can pickup half decent graphics cards for about £50 nowadays!

S

edit: If you Ctrl,Alt,Del and then go to Performance tab on task manager you can see how much memory is in use at any time.

I looked at the performance tab and it said Physical 1930 Cached 1050 Available 900 Free 0 ....is that good or bad. The symtom of hanging is like when you click too many things it takes 20 secs to sort itself out but it's stopped crashing!

Yep, thats bad - shows you are low on RAM (sort of - windows does cache unused ram) and could do with some more!

Last edited:
Many thanks. It looks like more RAm then. I can fit 2 x 2GB but if it is only going to recognise 3GB should I just fit a 2GB and leaft one of my 1GBs? Thanks for all your help!!

Just done some more checking - if you click on Resource Monitor (in the performance tab) and then the MEMORY tab you will see more detail.

Essentially if your RAM is low then the computer when asked to provide ram will need to unallocate and then reallocate hence the delays possible.

Thanks

s

Get a dedicated graphics card. It will make the display rendering much faster and will free up the 700mb that your graphics card is using. Also, it will process the windows 7 graphics request is a much more efficient manner. You WILL notice a big improvement. Your memory doesn't need increasing, the graphics chip is very slow....

The memory currently in your PC will be faster as its not being shared and being subject to resource contention(Graphics and PC actions sharing same memory = slower access and swapping)

Windows 7 will use whatever memory is available so having 0 free isn't such a bad thing.

Last edited:
Many thanks. It looks like more RAm then. I can fit 2 x 2GB but if it is only going to recognise 3GB should I just fit a 2GB and leaft one of my 1GBs? Thanks for all your help!!

You should also ensure that the clock speed of the ram is the same (666 etc) and some people reckon they should even by the same make.
3GB would show an improvement.

As I said earlier an upgrade to graphics card would be a good idea.
If you're not after a gaming rig then:
EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) Asus ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB DDR2 TV-Out/VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express - Retail 600MHz Core, 512MB 800MHz DDR2 Memory, 80 Stream Processors, PCI-E 2.0, CrossfireX Ready, Avivo HD, 7.1 Audio, 3yr Warranty with Asus/Novatech. :

would be good for multimedia playback and has 0.5gb dedicated ram for £30.
Check you have a PCI-E slot though! If you're not sure let me know what motherboard you have.
S

ps. Why do you think it will only recog 3gb. IT should recognise 4gb using windows 7 32bit. (alot of progs. don't use more than 3gb though)

Last edited:
the motherboard is 775 twin HDTV.

ASRock > Products > 775Twins-HDTV

Yes, you have a pci-e slot then so should be good to go.
(be sure to put the card in the x16 slot not the x1 slot - your manual can tell you which is which - or check out the link above where you can download a pdf of the motherboard manual.)

S

Last edited:
Thankyou SO much that was really helpful. Cheers:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom