Gravel Drives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bunny55

Car
W202 Saloon
Has anyone else suffered like me.

Last month a piece of gravel from our drive punctured a tyre on my daughters car and today the same has happened on my 202 !!!:mad:

Luckily puncture repairs have been done but we've lived here over 12 years without this happening previously. It's the inconvenience that winds me up.

Rant over, time for a glass of wine !

Graham

p.s. wheel was changed in under 20 minutes with the MB jack. I assume a trolley jack goes under the side skirt in the same place as the MB jack?

Having lived with gravel drives for nearly 50 years...I have never known this to happen.

Gravel drives are an excellent security feature : impossible for a thief to roll a car down one without making a noise :)

yeah i too have a gravel drive and never had any problems on various cars.

Astonishing......to get one puncture in such a way is extra ordinary......to get a second is darned right careless.

Mic

Be careful using a trolley jack on a gravel surface, or any surface where the jack can't roll easily, such as grass.* A trolley jack needs to roll forward as the car is raised. If it can't the pad on which the car rests will slowly but surely slide back, and eventually the car will drop off it, usually scraping its side on the jack on the way down.

*Don't ask me how I know this.

Be careful using a trolley jack on a gravel surface, or any surface where the jack can't roll easily, such as grass.* A trolley jack needs to roll forward as the car is raised. If it can't the pad on which the car rests will slowly but surely slide back, and eventually the car will drop off it, usually scraping its side on the jack on the way down.

*Don't ask me how I know this.

How do you know this?

You've obviously seen it happen to someone else.

:D

I once got a puncture from a stone on a building site, but it was about 4" long and sharp at one end. Never ever seen a tyre punctured from a gravel drive, they should be small diameter round stones, if they punctured tyres no one would have gravel drives?

Russ

The main downside of gravel drives would be the constant damage to shoes, specifically wifey's heels, which I always end up having to repair :(

Don't do punctures though.

Cobbles

...might avoid the issue in the first place.

...maybe

once got a puncture from a stone on a building site, but it was about 4" long and sharp at one end. Never ever seen a tyre punctured from a gravel drive, they should be small diameter round stones, if they punctured tyres no one would have gravel drives?

Russ

Our gravel isn't small round stones, it is small angular gravel, of which a small minority has the odd sharp edge. I have checked a few drives since it happened and a lot have the smae gravel.

So it was you walking down my drive with a torch at 3am!

Our gravel isn't small round stones, it is small angular gravel, of which a small minority has the odd sharp edge. I have checked a few drives since it happened and a lot have the smae gravel.

Sounds like pea shingle. Not really ideal for a driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom