Grease coming from center caps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tuscan_al

Car
S210 e430, w126 500se
With the wheels cleaned, within 500 miles I get grease coming from behind the center cap on the w124. It looks like it starts to spread out from the middle and then spray evenly over the wheel? Any ideas, does the hub cup thing need packing with grease regular intervals, or is something perished?

Oh its a 1991 300ce too. With sportsline if that makes any difference?

Thanks

sounds like the hub cup isnt seated properly its allowing grease to leak out, might be worth removing it and seeing if its completely round and that it hasnt been bent out of shape.

K

my non-expert opinion is that the wheel bearing cap is not on properly.

On my previous W208 the cap looks like this (part 29)....I recall it just pops off with a flat head screwdriver

Êàòàëîã

Thanks, that looks like it. they look fairly battered. Maybe I can just get some new ones fitted. I just wanted to make sure there was no sealed bearing that has failed.

Thanks, that looks like it. they look fairly battered. Maybe I can just get some new ones fitted. I just wanted to make sure there was no sealed bearing that has failed.

Lol thats what i was trying to say in my post... some guys when replacing bearings just hammer the hub cup back on destorting the shape.

Prob cheap as chips from mb.
Just remove put a bead of silicone around the lip and refit.

Lynall

Prob cheap as chips from mb.

For my W124 E300D, these caps are appropriate - A1683570089 - about £1.50 each.

If you fit them carefully, when they're brand new, they're quite a tight fit, and so, leakage is improbable.

Odd that the cap from a 168 front hub fits W124s when they have a completely different bearing set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom