Greasy residue from air vents post AC service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by such01, Jun 1, 2017.

1. such01

such01 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350 CDI W212
    I used my local Halfords service centre to do an MOT in March 17, and decided to use them to do an aircon service inc a deodorising treatment
    My local dealer wanted £125 plus vat, whereas halfords wanted £60inc.

I have never had an AC service on any of the cars I have driven over the last 25yrs, as they were company cars which i usually had for 3-4yrs and never had any AC issues

As my AC was taking time to get cold I decided that it needed doing.

There was no problem with any leaks etc, but it was around 20-25% low on gas, and now works fine.
    I did, however, notice a film of a greasy substance all over the gloss black trim - centre console and glovebox and both front doors.
    I dread to think what I may have inhaled, as I drove the car around for an hour after it was done!

is this normal and to be expected whenever any aircon treatment is applied, or should halfords have placed a cloth in front the vents to collect any residue when starting the system after?

Took bloody ages to clean off, had to do the seats too!

Won't be going there again!

2. MercedesDriver

MercedesDriver Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E250 CDI
    Re-gassing shouldn't be the cause of it but only deodorising,I think. Did it smell?
    Month ago I have bought Halfords aircon deodorant and had no such problems. The procedure was to put the aircon on a maximum for 10 minutes, all vents open, recirculating on, passenger seat in top front position, deo can in footwell.
    Maybe the guy forgot to turn on air recirculation?!

3. OP
    OP
    such01

Car:
    E350 CDI W212
    the chap told me they spray it on the aircon matrix, whatever that is?
    it smelt like a bathroom afterwards, not sure if they left it running or not after.

thanks

4. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    Don't let anyone at Halfords work on your car. As I posted elsewhere a (none MB) independent garage near me spent 2.5 hours doing a very thorough A/C service for £59.99

Shop around.

5. OP
    OP
    such01

Car:
    E350 CDI W212
    too late, they did it last week.
    Only used them for an mot and aircon refresh.
    I have a service contract with MB with 2 services remaining, and will use an indie for any repairs (none to date - touch wood!)

thanks