Great beaches in South Devon - suggestions?

Bobby Dazzler

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
ML AMG-line Black Series
We're regular visitors to South Devon, but it's only in recent years we've really spent time on the beach. We tend to go to Blackpool Sands most, but sometimes venture out to Slapton Sands, or Goodrington Sands.

Can you suggest alternatives within say an hour-or-so drive of Dartmouth/Brixham? Use of ferry is not a problem.

Ticking as many of these boxes as possible would be good:

| | Sand, rather than pebbles
| | Good parking closeby
| | Good food closeby
| | Stream cutting across beach (kids love that :crazy: )

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
It's pushing your hour by maybe an extra fifteen minutes, but Sandy Bay near Exmouth has a beach with all of the above, with perhaps the exception of good food - I'm sure the food is there, just need to find it!

Journey time is about 15 minutes from the Exeter junction of the M5

OP
OP
Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
ML AMG-line Black Series
It's pushing your hour by maybe an extra fifteen minutes, but Sandy Bay near Exmouth has a beach with all of the above, with perhaps the exception of good food - I'm sure the food is there, just need to find it!

Journey time is about 15 minutes from the Exeter junction of the M5

Excellent - thank you - never thought of going quite so far North. I might well give that a go.

The name "Sandy Bay" sounds like a promising start. I'll let my supersensitive nose and empty tum find the food!! :D

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Excellent - thank you - never thought of going quite so far North. I might well give that a go.

The name "Sandy Bay" sounds like a promising start. I'll let my supersensitive nose and empty tum find the food!! :D

A word of warning I suppose. It is on a Haven site. Not such a bad thing as it has plenty of amenities for kids etc and the beach is plenty big enough. They claim to charge for parking at the beach, but as they don't take registration numbers of people staying with them I somehow don't think they bother.

Also has some touring pitches for those so inclined.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
If you fancy going a bit further try Watergate bay near Newquay.

OP
OP
Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
ML AMG-line Black Series
We're were in Tintagel for a few weeks in July/August, so much closer, and still didn't even manage to get to Watergate Bay. I'll add that to the list for next year's Cornwall holiday.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
We're were in Tintagel for a few weeks in July/August, so much closer, and still didn't even manage to get to Watergate Bay. I'll add that to the list for next year's Cornwall holiday.

We rode the coast road from Newquay to Padstow and back.
Some of the bays and cliff-top views are great...but the hills up from the bays are horrendous on a cycle. :D

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
Best beaches in the land by far are in Northumberland, but keep away as we like them to ourselves!

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
If you fancy going a bit further try Watergate bay near Newquay.

Watergate Bay is a top place always stay there when I go down on business and you can always pop into Jamie Olivers restaurant whilst you are there :D

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
Watergate Bay is a top place always stay there when I go down on business and you can always pop into Jamie Olivers restaurant whilst you are there :D

Seems a shame to spoil such a nice place...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom