Great beaches in South Devon - suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
We're regular visitors to South Devon, but it's only in recent years we've really spent time on the beach. We tend to go to Blackpool Sands most, but sometimes venture out to Slapton Sands, or Goodrington Sands.

Can you suggest alternatives within say an hour-or-so drive of Dartmouth/Brixham? Use of ferry is not a problem.

Ticking as many of these boxes as possible would be good:

| | Sand, rather than pebbles
| | Good parking closeby
| | Good food closeby
| | Stream cutting across beach (kids love that :crazy: )

It's pushing your hour by maybe an extra fifteen minutes, but Sandy Bay near Exmouth has a beach with all of the above, with perhaps the exception of good food - I'm sure the food is there, just need to find it!

Journey time is about 15 minutes from the Exeter junction of the M5

It's pushing your hour by maybe an extra fifteen minutes, but Sandy Bay near Exmouth has a beach with all of the above, with perhaps the exception of good food - I'm sure the food is there, just need to find it!

Journey time is about 15 minutes from the Exeter junction of the M5

Excellent - thank you - never thought of going quite so far North. I might well give that a go.

The name "Sandy Bay" sounds like a promising start. I'll let my supersensitive nose and empty tum find the food!! :D

Excellent - thank you - never thought of going quite so far North. I might well give that a go.

The name "Sandy Bay" sounds like a promising start. I'll let my supersensitive nose and empty tum find the food!! :D

A word of warning I suppose. It is on a Haven site. Not such a bad thing as it has plenty of amenities for kids etc and the beach is plenty big enough. They claim to charge for parking at the beach, but as they don't take registration numbers of people staying with them I somehow don't think they bother.

Also has some touring pitches for those so inclined.

If you fancy going a bit further try Watergate bay near Newquay.

We're were in Tintagel for a few weeks in July/August, so much closer, and still didn't even manage to get to Watergate Bay. I'll add that to the list for next year's Cornwall holiday.

We're were in Tintagel for a few weeks in July/August, so much closer, and still didn't even manage to get to Watergate Bay. I'll add that to the list for next year's Cornwall holiday.

We rode the coast road from Newquay to Padstow and back.
Some of the bays and cliff-top views are great...but the hills up from the bays are horrendous on a cycle. :D

Best beaches in the land by far are in Northumberland, but keep away as we like them to ourselves!

If you fancy going a bit further try Watergate bay near Newquay.

Watergate Bay is a top place always stay there when I go down on business and you can always pop into Jamie Olivers restaurant whilst you are there :D

Watergate Bay is a top place always stay there when I go down on business and you can always pop into Jamie Olivers restaurant whilst you are there :D

Seems a shame to spoil such a nice place...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom