Great Drives! - Area of outstanding Natural Beauty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carnut

Car
SL400 & audi A1
Following on from my day out ( see thread - Country Lanes) I thought it would be nice if we could share great drives in the country to let others know where the Driving Pleasure still exists:

1.The Country road I took was just before Andover from the west on the A303 to Hungerford across country defined within the A303/A338/A342/A343. Couldnt tell you the exact road as I left it up to Satnav but I passed Hatherden,Verham Shute,Buttermere,Ham on my way into Hungerford.

2. Last saturday took a trip into the Northamptonshire countryside to refollow a route given to me last year at a Classic Car rally at Silverstone (in mates E-type). It went in a Circle from Aston Martin at Newport Pagnel,via Olney,Yardley Hastings,Castle Ashby,Sywell,Pitsford Reservoir,Althorp,The Bringtons,East Haddon,Everdon,Fawsley Hall, (silverstone) and home to just outside banbury.

3. Highway 1 from Monterey (Pebble Beach) via Big Sur to Santa Monica...Stay on Highway 1!

Im sure you all have a favorite in your area.

Maxim:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the places & drives that take our breath away!"

:)

The A395 where it leaves the A30 at Kennards House in Cornwall ( a fast sweeping, very open road where it crosses the moors to Davidstow , about 15 km long ) ... being so open , you can use the whole road safely , iron out the corners and what not ... ;)

Then it joins the B3314 and narrows, through Delabole and Pendoggett but still a very fast road all the way to Rock in North Cornwall ....

Watch out for the sharp downhill left/right flick at Slaughterbridge , always sideways through there :rolleyes: .... SLAUGHTERBRIDGE

It comes at you out of nowhere , a long stright road precedes it , and will catch the unwary out .... takes no prisoners , lots of cars in hedges there ....

A great drive , used to regularly do it in my CRX VTEC , keep it on the boil ( don't let the revs drop below 6000 ) and it's a hell of a fun road !!

Last edited:
One of my favourites is the road from Hawes to Hubberholme in North Yorkshire in the Dales National Park through Oughtershaw and Yockenthwaite, great views and gradients, a few shere drops, and places to put the foot down.

The run up to the Highlands through Glen Coe then around the coast road to Mallaig:devil:

The A640 between jct 23 and jct 21 of the M62 on the Lancs/Yorks border (passes the M62 summit - highest motorway in England).

Runs parallel to the M62 but it's nearly always empty and it's 90% national speedlimit. :)

Used to do this once every fortnight or so when the M62 was a carpark. The picture on my signature and those on my gallery page were taken on that road.

The "Cat & Fiddle" A537 between Buxton and Macclesfield wether in car or on the bike used to be excellent until it got flodded with plod and their cars, bikes & chopper!

Anywhere on the Isle of Skye and the best ever, if a bit out of the way, everywhere in the South Island of New Zealand. :)

Matlock Bath on any given Sunday (only on a bike though)

The "Cat & Fiddle" A537 between Buxton and Macclesfield wether in car or on the bike used to be excellent until it got flodded with plod and their cars, bikes & chopper!
The "Cat & Fiddle" is also one of the most dangerous roads in the UK IIRC! I saw a programme about it on TV :)

Why just the UK?

1 Col du grand saint bernard
2 Autostrada from Aosta to Genoa (especially arriving at Genoa)
3 Autostrada from Aosta to Monte Bianco

4 Oresund Bridge from Denmark to Sweden
5 Millau viaduct in France

Les

The "Cat & Fiddle" is also one of the most dangerous roads in the UK IIRC! I saw a programme about it on TV :)

Quite right, try the road but stop off at the Cat & Fiddle pub about half way across (IIRC this may be the highest pub in UK), in there is a aerial shot, about 8-10 feet long, of the whole road.
It pin points most of the deaths and serious accidents that have happened over the last 15 years or so (includes lots of actual pictures); this is to "remind" us of how dangerous speed and this road is.
Have a pint (coke!), try to forget the photo, get back in/on your motor and enjoy the road!

Why just the UK?

1 Col du grand saint bernard
2 Autostrada from Aosta to Genoa (especially arriving at Genoa)
3 Autostrada from Aosta to Monte Bianco

4 Oresund Bridge from Denmark to Sweden
5 Millau viaduct in France

Les

Why indeed ( other than it makes it more accesible for a day out)?

Every year we take the Merc to the Italian Lakes so the drives are legendary ....think Silvio Pass etc. Milau Bridge is on my list of "to do"
Having collected my Mercs from the Factory I've found routes in Germany to be fantastic ( eg The Rhine and the "Cinderella Road")

But back to the main deal: Ilike routes for "day trips" in the UK for Mini breaks
:bannana:

The run up to the Highlands through Glen Coe then around the coast road to Mallaig:devil:

Bugger; that would have been mine Pammy!:D

Try Forres to Grantown - had a LOT of fun in Leon Cupra R on that road...views not bad either.

wait for Scumbag to pick this thread up and post about 10 stonking drive 5 minutes from his gaff:mad:

Are we talking about scenic views? If so then for those that come down to Torquay I would thoroughly recommend the B3192 from Haldon (A380 Exter) and then the A379 along the coast from Teignmouth to Torquay :) I can also wave to everyone as they drive along the coast.

A spectacular drive with views that I still enjoyeven though I have seen them daily for 30 plus years :eek: :eek:

This is what you will be looking at for a number of miles.

Regards
John

IIRC this may be the highest pub in UK
Highest pub in UK is Tan Hill in Co. Durham. Also some of the most fantastic country roads there. The area around Barnard Castle is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and we have the most beautiful sheep as well!:)

wait for Scumbag to pick this thread up and post about 10 stonking drive 5 minutes from his gaff:mad:

aye indeed.

From Top gear mag. the best drives in the world.

Number 1. Garelochead, the A817. About 1 hour away.
number 2. Applecross pass. near wester ross. About 2hours away.
number 7 glasgow to fort william, A82, A828,A816,A83. Don't forget to stop at the "Rest and be thankful" car park and look at the view.
number 11. Tyndrum to Oban. A85. Stops about 1 minute from me. I drive 4 miles of this every day.

So thats 4.

However the best road I have driven, when the sun is out and you are in a soft top is:-
A592 from Windermere to Keswick via Kirkstone pass. Don't argue, get the roof off and go drive. If you don't stop and admire the view on the way up to the kirkstone pass inn, you are blind and stupid. (Driving into Glencoe is a close second)

There are some good drives round here, but more for the scenery rather than full on driving. I take the bike on them rather than the car.

And the road to Mallaig is being upgraded at the moment so its closed at times.

They also do zero tolerance speed controls every 3 or 4 weeks, as these roads have very high fatality rates. So be aware in towns.

Highest pub in UK is Tan Hill in Co. Durham. Also some of the most fantastic country roads there. The area around Barnard Castle is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and we have the most beautiful sheep as well!:)

The road from Hawes past the buttertubs is Jeremy Clarksons favorite road too.

number 2. Applecross pass. near wester ross.

Nice one, admire the view from the top and then watch the smoke pour from your brakes as you sit in the Applecross Inn at the bottom.

Russ

Are we talking about scenic views? If so then for those that come down to Torquay I would thoroughly recommend the B3192 from Haldon (A380 Exter) and then the A379 along the coast from Teignmouth to Torquay :) I can also wave to everyone as they drive along the coast.

A spectacular drive with views that I still enjoyeven though I have seen them daily for 30 plus years :eek: :eek:

This is what you will be looking at for a number of miles.

Regards
John

Indeed. I use this route when visiting the area,although ( at the risk of losing the thread..but what the hell so many of you do) the train journey along this route is even better!

Ps my original idea was to enjoy driving.Scenic or fast but if fast no Cameras...that ruins the journey (they are sooooo ugly!)

Tan Hill Inn is in North Yorkshire!

Tan Hill Inn is in North Yorkshire
!
Damn it: so it is! We'll just have to nip over the Tees and pinch it back.:eek::eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom