Great example of why it's more about skill than equipment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
As per title: rarely is a driver able to exceed the ability of the equipment they're using on the road, and this is a great example of how skill matters more than vehicle choice when it comes to "making progress":

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I love the way the guys on the sports bikes are climbing all over them while the guy on the tourer is riding as though he has a broomstick up his ar*e 😄

I though the nonchalant adjustment of his left-hand mirror while cranked over in a right-hander at 1:49 was a nice touch, too 🤣

So do I; my knees aren't up to sports bike riding positions these days...

Far from a novice. His positioning and observational levels. along with gestures, suggest an advanced level of roadcraft.

Sure some on here may ride with TrafPol on their personal tourers, only to be amazed at their abilities versus "sports-riders".

Did the biker with the cam change gear at all?

It is an interesting point. I can only relate to cars but back in my 20s the number of car enthusiasts who turned their noses up at front wheel drive or cars without 300bhp+, as if they can all drive like extras from the Fast and Furious movies. Yet in reality they'd be no more capable in a Fiat Pander with 100bhp than a Skyline with 300bhp!

Interestingly, I did some driving with the IAM and a number of them were obviously petrolheads but not all had anything sporty or exciting cars. Yet one of the most fun drives I was taken on was by a guy with a 1.0 late 90s Micra. He really knew how to get the most from it!

It is an interesting point. I can only relate to cars but back in my 20s the number of car enthusiasts who turned their noses up at front wheel drive or cars without 300bhp+, as if they can all drive like extras from the Fast and Furious movies. Yet in reality they'd be no more capable in a Fiat Pander with 100bhp than a Skyline with 300bhp!
I cringe when they’re head to head in a race, but their challenger is starting to ease away. They then realise that they’re going to lose the race unless they do something, and do it face. They then have an idea, they grit their teeth, dig deep and...

....change up a gear.

There's a reason it's nicknamed "The Daft and the Clueless"

Sure some on here may ride with TrafPol on their personal tourers, only to be amazed at their abilities versus "sports-riders".
Around 25 years ago I was fortunate enough to ride many thousands of miles in the company of a mate who was Class 1, and at first his abilities did seem amazing. Fortunately he was also a great teacher who was willing to share his knowledge and help me develop my own riding skills which has stood me in great stead ever since.

Interestingly, I did some driving with the IAM and a number of them were obviously petrolheads but not all had anything sporty or exciting cars. Yet one of the most fun drives I was taken on was by a guy with a 1.0 late 90s Micra. He really knew how to get the most from it!
The reality is that the best way to improve the performance of any motor vehicle is to improve the skills of the driver, yet the first port of call for most is a remap.

I haven't watched the video but a few years back on the motorway. I was in the outside lane and there was a biker in front on a proper superbike poodling along. A van in the middle lane didn't see it and just pulled into the outside lane with no indication. It may have actually nudged the front of the bike I don't know or it might just have been a major swerve but the bike went down. But it was the most amazing thing I have ever thing I have seen because when the biker was literally a mil from the ground against all laws of nature and nurture instead of braking he actually floored it and the back of the bike swung round 180 degrees, threw his legs 5 foot in the air whilst still holding the bars and he landed back on the bike and carried on. I completely £hat myself so I dread to think what he felt. Lots of fist waving ensued but it was amazingly all ok because if he did go off I would have been straight over him with my van.

A few miles down the road I saw him parked up smoking a fag. I pulled up and checked he was alright but he just gave me a thumbs up and off I went !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom