Great experience with John Haynes Auto Technics in Worthing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ten elena

Car
1998 R129 SL500
Just wanted to give a shout out to John Haynes in Worthing, where we took our car down for post purchase inspection and transmission fluid change. Good and prompt communication via email from David the service manager and he also very kindly agreed to meet us on Saturday for car drop off and pickup even though they are not open Saturdays. Felt the quote was very reasonable as well (we got quotes from a couple of places and theirs was the cheapest).
:thumb:

Just wanted to give a shout out to John Haynes in Worthing, where we took our car down for post purchase inspection and transmission fluid change. Good and prompt communication via email from David the service manager and he also very kindly agreed to meet us on Saturday for car drop off and pickup even though they are not open Saturdays. Felt the quote was very reasonable as well (we got quotes from a couple of places and theirs was the cheapest).
:thumb:

I had a good experience with them back in 2011 when I was in Worthing. I took my old 300CE-24 for a gearbox fluid/filter change and, within minutes of dropping off the car, they phoned to say they'd drained the fluid and found debris and felt that the parts and labour would be a waste of my money.

At the time, I was getting an intermittent reverse and it was a last ditch attempt to see if I could avoid a new box.

Anyway, Haynes very fairly said that they'd put the old fluid back and no money would change hands. I said that they should go ahead and and they did.

To cut a long story shortish, the box is still working like a dream 3 years later and hasn't missed reverse once.

There!

RayH

I have had Mercedes cars since 2015 and had taken my car to John Haynes many times. On this occasion I did not expect anything to be different, albeit on the last occasions it was just a simple service. On this occasion, it was a service, all new brake disc and pads, new rear tyres and the wheel alignment needed doing. I was telephoned by Mr Haynes mid way through my service recommending that I change my tyres at the rear, I agreed. I had Bridgestone Turano tyres which are fairly new on the front and I was told they would match them and I requested that the wheel alignment be done. When I picked the car up I noticed that much cheaper Bridgestones had been put on the rear for the same money I got the much more advanced and better tyres at the front. I mentioned this at the desk and I was, to be honest, fobbed off by being told I would be telephoned by the same person that rang me in regards to the tyres, that call never came. When I drove away I started to notice that the steering wheel was in exactly the same position, (slight to the right) as before so the next day I took it to a reputable garage to get the wheel alignement checked. They confirmed that the tracking was so out that there is no way that anyone has done the tracking very recently, let alone the day before. Soon after that the brakes began to squeal quite noticeably. This in all cost me over £1600. Very poor service and total lack of communication and as I was a regular customer, I thought at least they would be contacting me. I shall be taking the matter to my solicitor.

So we have conflicting opinions about John Haynes, before taking the matter to your solicitor and incurring more costs why not try speaking to John Haynes. I hate bad service of any kind, but I am old and wise enough to look at the situation objectively and give whoever I think is at fault the chance to rectify the issue before going down the legal route.
Some years back I had problems with some £1500.00 worth of conservatory blinds, basically the guy who measured up used his wifes knicker elastic as a tape measure. The fitting was well dodgy and the gaps were huge, two of the pleated panels were off shade. Unfortunately my then SWMBO just paid up, I measured up and went to see the blind company as they refused to even come and look. I got all sorts of crap about the fitter being self employed and the guy who measured was the MD plus we can't do anything about colour or shade differences because we don't make the material.

So the next week end I took all the blinds down and took them into the shop in a big box and said money back on CC now please. Oh we can't do that because there is nothing wrong with them........Must be my conservatory that's wrong then. Now these chumps don't make anything, but I do have a close contact with some who does a fair bit of business with the manufacturers. One phone call later and I am sat with my box of binds and the sales director who looked at my measurements and examined the blinds agreeing that the shade issue was their fault and would be rectified with a complete re make with all the material coming from the same batch and to my measurements. They sent a technical guy to check my measurements before the remake and they were spot on, delivered FOC a week later and I fitted them and returned the faulty ones to them.

The moral here is simple, if the retailer had just thought about the options the matter could have been concluded without any ill feeling. The attitude of the manufacturer was this, we don't anything we make to not look right when fitted, I think that without the shade issue prompting a full remake to ensure a perfect match I may have had a struggle with just the measurement issue. Always look at things from every angle before you jump on the legal button, I used a manufacturing fault to resolve another problem that the retailer refused to even look at. The manufacturer was happy to work with me on the re make, taking the view of we are re making any way and we want our product to look right so we are going out of our way to help.

When I read the original post I must admit I wondered why no further direct contact had been made with the garage at the level of MD / owner . It sounded to me that toys were going to be thrown out of the pram because they had not returned his original call complaining about the lack of service and apparent sharp practice.
While I have every sympathy regarding the issues, I would have been back hot foot and demanded action by Mr Haynes, had that not been forthcoming then of course solicitors/ trading standards would have been my next step, but only having given them a chance to right the obvious problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom