Great mobile phone: Orange SPV C500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Hi All,

Not sure if anyone has seen the recently introduced SPV C500 from Orange. It's the next generation of their successful SPV lineup, and this time it is worth owning!!! :) It's approximately Nokia 6230/Sony T610 sized.

I have been wanting one of these for a while, and the cost has been coming down slowly but surely. I managed to get one from Orange yesterday for £149.99 on pay as you go, and managed to unlock it online this morning for £20.

In my opinion, £169.99 is a steal for this phone. Absolutely jam packed with functionality, and a tiny form factor to boot. Comes with power plug, headphones, usb cable and a memory card.

Review here: http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=112554

They are also available through http://www.onestopphoneshop.co.uk for very good prices on contract.

A mate of mine has got one,|A little hard to set up and use.Took him a while to sort it out,The videos are good on it,He hadn't had it long and the on/off switch wouldn't work.

A mate bought quite a few for his business, and two of them had hassles with the multi-way joystick. Were returned and replaced same day, and all very happy with them now.

Setup is definitely more fiddly than a phone, but obviously same as a Pocket PC.

Do you happen to know if the work (inc Voice dialing) with a SE bluetooth Car Kit ?

- Must talk soon about that other stuff......

ive gone blackberry this week and wow .... its sooo powerful its unbelieveable.

Im still open jawed every day i use it :)

>- Must talk soon about that other stuff......

Figured that you had gone on holidays or something. Thought you had disappeared! I'll call you over the weekend, as I am on the road for most of tomorrow. I can come and install it for you and we can test it if you like...?

The Media Player in this phone is great. I just used Windows Media Encoder 9 to compress some of the Nurburgring footage, and it works a treat!

@WLeg

Yeah, SPV c500 has voice dialling and works fine with the Sony HCB-30 or HCB-300 bluetooth car-kits

Tried it with both and no problems

Voice dialling works on my HBH-300 headset just fine, so I presume that other SE products should be fine.

been thinking about the SPV, or a P910i, oe possibly a K700i......can get any of them for free through Orange..

Opinions on them ??????

Got an SPV c500, a P900 and a K700i myself at the moment. All great devices. Which one to go for really depends on what you want to use it for.

P910 for email, games, videos (has the largest screen and upgradeable memory)

K700i for mainly using as a phone

SPV c500 for using as phone but with easy email etc

Guy

fuzzer said:
ive gone blackberry this week and wow .... its sooo powerful its unbelieveable.

Im still open jawed every day i use it :)

Took your time :) I've been using one for 3 years now... and part of my role s maintaining our global Blackberry infrastructure.

BES 4 was released on Wednesday, just wait 'till you see the extra features.

These phones do nothing for me in comparison.

scotth_uk said:
The Media Player in this phone is great. I just used Windows Media Encoder 9 to compress some of the Nurburgring footage, and it works a treat!

Sure does !! Very impressive ! Thanks for the DVD too Scott ... will enjoy watching the full version later :D

S.

>These phones do nothing for me in comparison.

I guess it's a personal thing though. I have had a few fiddles with Blackberries and whilst I have convinced myself that I need one, I really cannot stand the form factor, the operating system or the general feel of the devices.

The new phones and pdas which are blackberry compatible might just sway me though.

Orange shops are doing the PAYG for £139.99 with a trade in. Decision time..should I return the Sony S700i and get one of these??

Well, if you don't like it, can always ebay it.

I learned something interesting about vodafone yesterday.....

There is a program called Agile Messenger for the smartphones which is like trillian - multi network chat client. When I put my Orange SIM in it would work fine. Vodafone SIM wouldn't work. ???

I tried using the proper MSN client built into the phone over Vodafone - worked just fine. Right about now I got confused and started to search.

After much reading, it turns out that Vodafone have their content filtering activated on every GPRS account unless you manually remove it, which involves a small credit card transaction to prove you are over age.

Once I had the content filter lifted, the program now works really well. :) Even has a GPRS counter built in to make sure you are not running up a high bill. I can leave my phone logged into yahoo (for work) and msn (for pleasure) now.

Scott,
Couple of quick questions, where did you get yours unlocked and how easy was it to set up with all the Voda settings.

Regards

Tan.

p.s. If i get stuck can you give me a hand.

Happy to help a fellow mbclubber with anything (well, just about anything)..... ;-)

I got mine unlocked online through http://www.imei-check.co.uk/ . Voda GPRS took 5 minutes, will be doing MMS and WAP later tonight, but probably another 5 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom