Great PR

• Thread starter Deleted member 6183
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 6183

Something happened today which made me think about what makes some companies great rather than a just good or even a disappointment.

Mercedes dealers could learn from this, I have no idea why my local dealer would insist that items which are covered by warranty would deny that they are for example.

It was my birthday last week and I decided to treat myself to a watch, I have a passion for cheap Japanese divers watches.

The particular watch that I ordered, from Asia, is on a metal bracelet and, predictably, is a little snug on my (inbred) wrist.

I looked on the usual sites and could not find any spare links, I have done so before but failed this time so I emailed the manufacturer asking where I could buy some links.

Their response was to tell me that they had loads and that they would send me a couple FOC, they were posted yesterday and arrived this morning.

They didn't have to do this and, although the postage probably cost more than the parts, I am delighted.

I will actively look for ways to impress my own clients with small gestures in future (it's been a reminder that it's easy to let such things slip) and wish that more companies would do the same. There was a lot of talk of empowerment when I last worked in a corporate environment but it was purely lip service if I'm honest.

Do you have any experiences where large firms went above and beyond?

Edwin Jagger. I bought one of their razors and a little while later a tiny piece of chrome flaked off the top piece revealing the copper plating underneath. I called them to ask if it actually mattered, if water would get under it and cause more chrome to peel off.

"Oh dear, that definitely shouldn't have happened, what's your address?"

Two days later a new top together with the matching other bit that isn't the handle arrived, together with a little sampler of cologne.

Optrel in Switzerland sent me some parts for my welding helmet for free after I emailed them to find out the part numbers to order from a local dealer.

This was certainly very pleasant and restored my faith in humanity as I used the helmet in anger and broke it. There was no way it would have needed the parts from just wear or tear.

Bought another one of their helmets since then. Looking forward for an opportunity to smash it too.

I bought a set of lowering links from a member on the forum and whilst fitting them managed to mislay one of the small rubber grommets that fit inside the ball fitting.
Even though I hadn't bought them directly, the owner of the Airmatic Lowering Links company kindly sent a complete set of 6 new rubber grommets free of charge after I emailed asking for the price of replacements. A nice touch and I was grateful.

Just got home and opened up my XXXL Doner kebab to find it totally devoid of doner, empty, zilch , nothing, nada.
Except for a small note tucked inside upon which was written.

'listen up fat boi we at Jason's Doner Van is well worried about yur fatness so we is putting you on a diet innit'

Now that's customer service. :p

Bought a small tool from an ebay seller a while back, the thing fell to bits, after emailing a picture they refunded me in full.

We do a similar thing for the very few retail customers that may get in touch.
Example a 3 year old product bought from Amazon failed, we asked customer to return, repaired and returned to them same day by RMSD, no charge.
For us it would be more hassle to figure out what/how/where to charge than simply repair the unit and return it as an internal charge repair.

Patek Philippe in Switzerland carried out work on my pre-war pocket watch.... for free.
This is like Vauxhall Conference to your Premier league, but my wife bought me an Omega watch from the year I was born, it was from eBay and nothing special but means the world to me.

Anyway the puns kept popping out and the strap would detach from the body. It happened whilst out shopping so I called in to a jewellers who retailed Omega, and they replaced the pins free of charge, offered us drinks whilst we waited.

I was very impressed. I forget what the lady said now but it was something like once you’re an Omega customer, you’re a customer for life, or similar. Regardless, a very nice touch.

My local Mercedes dealer oftener wouldn’t charge me for screenwash if that’s all I was buying. Nice touch.

On a flight to Singapore with Singapore Airlines (12 hour flight) my seatback screen failed. Steward offered a seat change but I would lose my extra leg room and be apart from family so politely declined. They gave me a $50 voucher for duty free.

As we had same seats on our return journey 2 weeks later and I had WiFi on board, I thought I would drop a polite email to Customer Services pointing out the flight and seat numbers and asking them to try and repair in time (yes I know it was a terribly boring flight)! I received a polite reply saying they would look into the matter.

On arrival at the departure lounge for return flight we were asked to make ourselves known to the steward when boarding, Steward advised that in addition to our seats Head Office had allocated an entire 4 seat row behind us so we could sleep! They even removed passengers after take off who tried to use the empty seats which was rather embarrassing!

I always fly Singapore now whenever I can so from a corporate point of view they bought loyalty for 16x subsequent flights.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Recently I ruined my IP67 iPhone X by having it in my pocket for 3+ hours in a salt water swimming pool including holding it and using it as a paddle in my hand.

I recorded underwater video, pictures etc. Almost testing it to failure.

It died. Apple replaced it with a brand new device.

The old one exceeded the IP rating by miles.

The new ones are IP 68.

Ps I opened it up, bathed the board in alcohol, it came back to life long enough to upload all those pics and vids to iCloud before dying fatally. Proof available.

Last year we bought a Discovery 4 from the same chap at the same Land Rover dealer that 15 years ago I bought a defender from that was predictable in its unreliability!

I told him I was really worried about another Land Rover, he remembered the defender without being prompted and told me the new ones are much better.

I bought the Discovery 4, fabulous car.

Within a few weeks I had spent about 24 hours in total at the side of the road.

They fixed the car each time, with a shiny new Land Rover product of my choice delivered to our drive each time (a 3 hour round trip for them), eventually the underlying problem was found, a mistake on their part.

He authorised £300 of John Lewis vouchers and 12 months extra Land Rover warranty.

Superb service!

On a flight to Singapore with Singapore Airlines (12 hour flight) my seatback screen failed. Steward offered a seat change but I would lose my extra leg room and be apart from family so politely declined. They gave me a $50 voucher for duty free.

As we had same seats on our return journey 2 weeks later and I had WiFi on board, I thought I would drop a polite email to Customer Services pointing out the flight and seat numbers and asking them to try and repair in time (yes I know it was a terribly boring flight)! I received a polite reply saying they would look into the matter.

On arrival at the departure lounge for return flight we were asked to make ourselves known to the steward when boarding, Steward advised that in addition to our seats Head Office had allocated an entire 4 seat row behind us so we could sleep! They even removed passengers after take off who tried to use the empty seats which was rather embarrassing!

I always fly Singapore now whenever I can so from a corporate point of view they bought loyalty for 16x subsequent flights.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

On my Singapore Airlines flight, Mrs AMGeed and I were seated right at the rear of the plane, an A340. When dinner was served, instead of staring at both ends of cattle class, the trolley was sent from the front end only. By the time we were ready to be served our choice of meal had sold out and neither of us liked the alternative. As we were almost the last to be served, the head steward went up to business class and brought us a menu for us to choose something else. We dined well on a lovely steak and noodle dinner that evening.
A nice touch that didn't go unnoticed.
Some time later I received an email asking for our comments on the flight and service from Singapore Airways. Needless to say they were highly praised and we both got an upgrade on our next flight. Coincidence? No idea but Singapore are our preferred airline when travelling to SE Asia.

On a flight to SE Asia a few years ago I was travelling at short notice because of an older family member who was close to passing away.

I had to book at short notice with Emirates and was travelling with hand baggage only. While transiting Dubai I had a call to say that nature had taken its course.

At Dubai I was allocated a seat at the rear of a full A380. I asked the gate staff if I could be moved forward as I needed to disembark as quickly as possible - and that I'd be happy to have a middle seat near the front if any were free. The gate agent didn't ask why and I didn't tell them. I probably looked pretty drained after being given the news. He checked my details and asked me to confirm I was travelling with only cabin baggage. He then asked me to wait a moment. After a he had a short discussion with his suprervisor my boarding pass was reissued by one of his colleagues with a much lower number.

Transpired they moved me to the third row of business class. And on arrival that also meant I was issued with a priority pass for immigration.

It saved about an hour getting to my final destination.

And on that occasion an hour meant a lot.

We travelled to Alicante in February, on way to airport SWMBO tripped over her suitcase and tried to save herself by biting the tarmac on the way down, did not work, bit through upper lip bruising to nose not a pretty sight.

First aiders at Edinburgh airport were excellent, patched her up and informed easyjet of our late arrival, speedy transfer through security, excellent but best still to come.

Easyjet flight, Kirsty was in charge, service was not budget absolutely first class, we were moved to a spare row three seats between us, coffee at no charge and ice packs provided to help reduce swelling. Regular requests asking if she was ok, ice packs and painkillers on request. Cannot praise easyjet enough.

Tried to find out if same crew were on return flight but surprise surprise cannot disclose on security and foi reasons. Tried to find out on arrival departing Alicante to return, same problem I only wanted to give cabin manager a bunch of flowers and chocolates and champagne.

Only thing I could do was e mail easyjet and complement them on the service. Guess who we use as first choice when returning to Alicante?

^ Lucky you didn't book Ryanair. You'd have been bumped off the flight and made to pay for two extra tickets.

Seriously, well done Easyjet. I use them every year to visit a friend in Switzerland. Excellent budget airline.

Yup, we are off with them to Alicante on Wednesday, hopefully will not need same service!

Well pleased with easyjet, aeroplanes are smart, cabin crew are helpful and friendly, snack prices are reasonable for facilities available, generally on time so no complaints with them.

I bought a secondhand Leica digital camera a few years back. A short while later, the spring clip on the SD card cover went west. I rang Leica's service department and they asked me to send it in so they could examine it properly, in case the spring had gone inside the camera. So I sent it off, and a week or so later it comes back all fixed, no charge. This on a camera that was c. 7 years old and I hadn't even bought it from them! They also sent it back with one of their service batteries in (I'd been asked to remove mine before sending it back). I asked them if they wanted it back and was told to keep it as a goodwill gesture. Now that's service.

Cheers,

Gaz

I bought a second hand wool tartan travel blanket to match and go with my 124 Wagon. It arrived very quickly indeed and as described. Inside there was a lovely hand written “thank you” card, hoping that I would have many years of great use, with the blanket. I have never forgotten that note which, arrived on a day when I was at a very low ebb. It lifted me and made me determined to try and replicate that behaviour.

6f5332af943dea131babb86b46c01b53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice picnic basket Bruce, do you use it? Or just for shows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom