Great time to sell

• Thread starter Deleted member 159894
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the other hand I'm seeing lots of comments on forums from people who are pretty sick that they've got £400 or £500 a month going out on a PCP for a car that's largely just sitting on their drive.
£6,000 a year to have the use of a car that they're not actually using?

Sick? Nah, sounds daft.

My point was that a lot of people, not all, have come out of this nonsense with money in the bank because they're earning but not spending.

Reactions: Abb
Slight dilution of the thread, but how was your experience of Motorway? - they seem to get good Trustpilot reviews
It was good, got slightly above the WBAC initial price but the real benefit was the dealer ( who bid for it ) , paid the estimated auction price but they also have to collect it . They did so a couple of days later , had a good look at the car , found a couple of small blemishes I had not spotted but paid in full on line at time of collection. Would recommend as hassle free, oh and I managed to get the first estimated auction value increased by £100 when agreeing it with the call centre.
All done using their App for photos etc but then dealt with their sales dept who were very helpful when a couple of photos not good . Would use them again.

On the other hand I'm seeing lots of comments on forums from people who are pretty sick that they've got £400 or £500 a month going out on a PCP for a car that's largely just sitting on their drive.
Yep that's why I'm glad I handed the golf r back roughly a year ago and then on the same day purchased a 54 plate c180k for £500! ;)

:p£6,000 a year to have the use of a car that they're not actually using?

Sick? Nah, sounds daft.

My point was that a lot of people, not all, have come out of this nonsense with money in the bank because they're earning but not spending.
That's exactly what was I thinking when I was driving from a to b in my £500 c180k last year :D
£6,000 a year to have the use of a car that they're not actually using?

Sick? Nah, sounds daft.

It was good, got slightly above the WBAC initial price but the real benefit was the dealer ( who bid for it ) , paid the estimated auction price but they also have to collect it . They did so a couple of days later , had a good look at the car , found a couple of small blemishes I had not spotted but paid in full on line at time of collection. Would recommend as hassle free, oh and I managed to get the first estimated auction value increased by £100 when agreeing it with the call centre.
All done using their App for photos etc but then dealt with their sales dept who were very helpful when a couple of photos not good . Would use them again.
Your experience seems to mirror the majority of reviews. Thanks 👍

Sold my c class cabrio within an hour of deciding to today!
Decided its not getting used enough and I'm not overly excited about it.
So easy these days as nice cars are in demand.
Happy dealer, happy seller.

A friend was trying to get out of a car last week, WBAC were quoting a figure below his settlement and he was resigned to coughing up the difference, as a last resort he tried our local dealership group and they sent a buyer down who agreed a far better figure where my pal could settle and trouser a fair chunk of money.

Out of curiosity I agreed for the guy to call over to mine the same day and he offered a great price for my F-Type, more than I paid last year and enough to cover a service and some very expensive tyres, it went this morning and was a very easy transaction.

Apparently dealers cannot get enough stock, new cars are delayed due to some silicon (chip) supply and punters have plenty of cash post Covid.

I'll not be buying a second hand car for sure so the search begins.

Happy days, haven't ran a car for free since the 80s.

Wouldn't touch WBAC with a barge pole. They are part of British Car Auctions who are hoping to buy cheap enough from you so it can make a profit at Auction. They just want to take advantage of people who havn't a clue what their car is worth. Bunch of bandits :rolleyes:

That’s an outdated view. They have been paying well above market for a while, mostly to provide stock to their retail arm Cinch.

Wouldn't touch WBAC with a barge pole. They are part of British Car Auctions who are hoping to buy cheap enough from you so it can make a profit at Auction. They just want to take advantage of people who havn't a clue what their car is worth. Bunch of bandits :rolleyes:
We didn’t

Just a quick revive to thank all those who contributed to this thread.

I had no idea about the current state of the secondhand car market but we have just sold Mrs jdrrco's Toyota Yaris for over £1,000 more than we would have this time last year.

I had also never heard of Motorway, but used them this time and had 14 dealers bidding against each other to buy it on the day.

All due to this thread, so thank you all. Mrs jdrrco is now the proud driver of an immaculate 1999 W202 C200.

Just a quick revive to thank all those who contributed to this thread.

I had no idea about the current state of the secondhand car market but we have just sold Mrs jdrrco's Toyota Yaris for over £1,000 more than we would have this time last year.

I had also never heard of Motorway, but used them this time and had 14 dealers bidding against each other to buy it on the day.

All due to this thread, so thank you all. Mrs jdrrco is now the proud driver of an immaculate 1999 W202 C200.
Result!
Thanks for the update 👍

I've had an email from my dealer today offering to beat any other quote by £150, and they'll take any marque, campervans and vans!

Since January I've had six glossy mailshots from the same local estate agent offering to sell to 'buyers on our books" and two from another one.

As always, their advice is that 'It's a good time to sell (or buy)', depending on which category you fit into :)

I've had an email from my dealer today offering to beat any other quote by £150, and they'll take any marque, campervans and vans!

Since January I've had six glossy mailshots from the same local estate agent offering to sell to 'buyers on our books" and two from another one.

As always, their advice is that 'It's a good time to sell (or buy)', depending on which category you fit into :)
I'll offer you £100k for whatever it is. Take this post to them and get yourself a good deal!

I bought my 17plate e220d premium plus for £22500 middle of May but looking now I can’t see any for less than £25000 and that’s not even the same spec or add ons as mine. My son bought a coupe of the same model for £26000 and his would be £30000 today!!!!
We’re glad we bought when we did.

I bought my 17plate e220d premium plus for £22500 middle of May but looking now I can’t see any for less than £25000 and that’s not even the same spec or add ons as mine. My son bought a coupe of the same model for £26000 and his would be £30000 today!!!!
We’re glad we bought when we did.

Don't forget, what goes up must come down :rolleyes:

Don't forget, what goes up must come down :rolleyes:
We were glad we bought when we did as today’s prices would have put us out of the game for the cars and spec level we bought. I keep my cars for a fairly long time so any price drop won’t be an issue.

High mileage petrol cars in 2019, when I bought my s205, were not that common, but now the ULEZ impending extension to the north and south circular on 26/10/2021 has had a dramatic effect on used prices. Even Euro 6 diesels are more pricey too. My s205 16 plate 154k miles was a good deal compared to what is on offer now. The change in VED from 01/04/2017 has helped too. That's when the £40k+ list price VED sting started.

...we have just sold Mrs jdrrco's Toyota Yaris for over £1,000 more than we would have this time last year.

And I have just seen it advertised on AutoTrader for £89 more than we paid for it 2 years 2 months and 5,000 miles ago (including the £139 "admin fee")!

Last edited:
Inquired about selling my GTC Roadster in January this year but didn’t progress further. However, the same dealer gave me £11k more for it a week ago. It’s on sale now at Top555 cars If anyone is interested.

Bought a 2013 SL350 in January this year from a main dealer. Sold it in June to a Classic and Supercar dealer for £7,000 more than I paid for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom