Great tribute to Stirling Moss at Goodwood Speed week / Mark Knopfler "Local Hero"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
Great tribute to charismatic Stirling Moss a few days ago at Goodwood SpeedWeek.

An extraordinary gentleman who lived a long and full life. A man who would "stop the traffic" anywhere he appeared.

Worth a glance on a wet weekend, for the history and for Mark Knopfler's tribute with "Going Home," the theme to Local Hero.

Gallery: A tribute to Sir Stirling Moss at SpeedWeek | GRR

[Video] Goodwood's emotional tribute to Sir Stirling Moss | GRR

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
“Local Hero” is one of my favourite films. If you haven’t seen it, do try and catch it. You’re in for a treat.

Cheers,

Gaz

I love all the Goodwood programmes.

Great insights and also some fun racing.

Oh to have the money and lifestyle to allow me to do it ...

“Local Hero” is one of my favourite films. If you haven’t seen it, do try and catch it. You’re in for a treat.

Cheers,

Gaz
I found the film quite boring. I only watched it for the soundtrack.

I love all the Goodwood programmes.

Great insights and also some fun racing.

Oh to have the money and lifestyle to allow me to do it ...
Took my father-in-law to the very first Goodwood Revival Festival. He used to go there in the 60s including the event where Sir Stirling broke his legs. At the revival he was just blown away with how well it had all been put together. Said that it was like being in a time machine.

We were looking at gaining access to the paddock, but Paddock Club membership was quite expensive so reluctantly we didn't join.

Anyway we wandered up to the paddock entrance just see what was going on. The guy on the gate said 'May I see your tickets gentlemen?', which of course we didn't have... My father-in-law reached into his inside jacket pocket and pulled out a pair of original tickets, paddock lapel passes and a programme from that last meeting in 1966 and said, "Will these do?"

They guy on the gate grinned widely and said "Certainly sir, welcome back!' As we went in, the guy still grinning, reminded us to be sure to wear our passes on our lapel... Made our weekend. Yes, an epic experience.

Took my father-in-law to the very first Goodwood Revival Festival. He used to go there in the 60s including the event where Sir Stirling broke his legs. At the revival he was just blown away with how well it had all been put together. Said that it was like being in a time machine.

We were looking at gaining access to the paddock, but Paddock Club membership was quite expensive so reluctantly we didn't join.

Anyway we wandered up to the paddock entrance just see what was going on. The guy on the gate said 'May I see your tickets gentlemen?', which of course we didn't have... My father-in-law reached into his inside jacket pocket and pulled out a pair of original tickets, paddock lapel passes and a programme from that last meeting in 1966 and said, "Will these do?"

They guy on the gate grinned widely and said "Certainly sir, welcome back!' As we went in, the guy still grinning, reminded us to be sure to wear our passes on our lapel... Made our weekend. Yes, an epic experience.
Magic memory ! Thanks for sharing.

It's a shame that these events are so bloody expensive, but.... thanks to others we get the chance to see some amazingly expensive kit and racing. Far too much to take in, really. I'm always blown away by how much there is to see, so much kit just nonchalantly being used and parked up.

We live in an extraordinary time, thanks to events like this and the Interweb.

I found the film quite boring. I only watched it for the soundtrack.
Horses for courses. Normally I only watch films with lasers, explosions and Arnie, so Local Hero is quite a change of pace..

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom