Greek bail out & haircut for banks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bogof.....:D

I think the Greeks / EU should give the UK some islands in exchange for the £14K per family we have to stump up.

I open the bidding at Thassos and Corfu.

I would just make do with, Free Holidays for Life on any one of their islands, well not some!:D

Greek referendum

So Greece is having a referendum to decide if they will accept the EU proposals. Every chance they will say no and then default completely. Wonder if this is the beginning of the end of the Euro.

The unified currency was never going to work long term with so many countries with disparate economies involved. Unless one super state which (a) would be a nightmare to adminster, just think of the bureaucracy (b) to much past history to overcome, I guess this is the enevitable outcome. A free trading market, yes, but anything else no. So who is voting UKIP at the next election then :D

The real problem with losing the Euro would be how do you undo it?

It would be carnage, I can't see that happening short term although one or two countries may well drop out (Greece being in pole position).

With the benefit of hindsight, the UK's decision not to join the Euro is looking more sensible now. I have to admit at the time I thought we should have joined.

The year before the Euro was introduced we went on holiday to Greece. The cost of the average starter in a restaurant was about 500 Drachs. At the time that was exactly £1.

The following year post Euro, in the same restaurant run by the same family, the cost of a starter was now over 2 Euros and worked out to about £1.50 I think.

It reckon it was a similar story in the rest of the Eurozone. At the time I travelled to Belgium, France and Germany a lot and all my EU colleagues were saying how much prices had risen.

Is this "inflation" at the root of the Euro's malaise?

If the mainstream political parties continue to refuse to listen to the growing clamer to leave the EU in its current form then Artyman has it right I am afraid. One of them will start to blink on this because they will recognise it for the vote winner it is.

If the mainstream political parties continue to refuse to listen to the growing clamer to leave the EU in its current form then Artyman has it right I am afraid. One of them will start to blink on this because they will recognise it for the vote winner it is.

There is no clamour to leave the EU and the idea is certainly not a vote winner. If it was then UKIP would have some MP's in Westminster. They don't have any and despite widespread voter dis-affection with the main political parties they only managed a paltry 3% of the votes in the last election.

There is no clamour to leave the EU and the idea is certainly not a vote winner. If it was then UKIP would have some MP's in Westminster. They don't have any and despite widespread voter dis-affection with the main political parties they only managed a paltry 3% of the votes in the last election.

then keep watching. this Euro project will bring about the exact opposite of what the politicians envisage. The few cannot keep paying to prop up the edifice and the Germans will stop doing it within 15 years.

then keep watching. this Euro project will bring about the exact opposite of what the politicians envisage. The few cannot keep paying to prop up the edifice and the Germans will stop doing it within 15 years.

Problems with the economies of some Eurozone countries should not be seen as heralding the end of the EU as a whole. There was an EU long before the Euro currency and there will still be one regardless of what happens to the PIGS economies and the currencies that they use.

And there is no real will in this country to leave the EU.

The Euro might have worked had the original entry conditions been rigidly enforced, but in their eagerness to 'prove' their vanity project was as wonderful as they said it was, the powers-that-be fudged the figures so countries like Greece and Italy could play with the big boys. It was doomed from that moment.

The Greeks will vote 'No'
Greece will default (in reality it already has, but the 'D' word will be used officially)
It will set off a chain reaction, with Italy next to fall.
The End.

I come back to my original statement "the EU in its current form".

We have had the slow creep/evolution of the EEC into the EU.

Personally I want some form of economic community rather than the political union that seems to be the only agenda allowed. I do not want the abolition of the EU.

If countries want ever closer union go luck to them but at least ask the populaces.

Having embraced "the market" the Euro is finding that the rich around the world will pull at each and every loose thread to keep making more money. If that means pulling each country apart "the market" will - just to keep making money because that's all it's there to do.

the Euro as it stands is finished; a whole new framework needs drawing up if it is to survive. if the vanity project is to continue then a few sacrifical offerings will have to be made (countries with no economic base please form an orderly queue).

Imagine that eh ? Giving people a vote on EU decisions... whatever next ?

Trouble is most people are relying on pub gossip the Sun, Daily Express and Daily Mail for their information. Ask 90% of people why they want to leave the EU and they don't actually know. UKIP and Mr.Farage are a one policy party and i'd rather have Disney running the government. Oh, and btw i'm not pro-europe i just hate to see the 'Great British Public' getting mugged off by a bunch of self-interest shysters.

Out of curiosity, what paper should I be reading for a balenced and subjective/objective approach to this subject and could I ask from what source your 90% of the population comes from with regards to leaving the EU.

The three papers you mention do have differing views/opinions and percieved predjudice.

Sunday sport " B52 landed on moon " must be the right choice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom