Greek bail out & haircut for banks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agree, but who are " The Numskulls " and who is " Lord Snooty "..... More than happy to give an opinion.

Regards

The three papers you mention do have differing views/opinions and percieved predjudice.

All three of those are very anti-europe and the editorial takes a slanted view to suit their agenda, i'm not suggesting any of the papers are any better just slightly more informative. Oh, the Express is useful if you feel the need to read Diana conspiracy stories:wallbash:

"The Times is read by the people who run the country. The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country. The Morning Star is read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country. The Independent is read by people who don't know who runs the country but are sure they're doing it wrong. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country. The Daily Express is read by the people who think the country ought to be run as it used to be run. The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who still think it is their country. And the Sun's readers don't care who runs the country providing she has big ****."
"The Sport is read by the people who think that Elvis is running the country from his secret lunar bunker assisted by a team of topless aliens."

Oh, I fully understand ... I must find a " Centrist Political stance " :)

Jim Hacker for PM perhaps he could form a co-alition with UKIP :D

Yes minister "In private industry if you screw things up you get the boot; in the civil service if you screw things up I get the boot!"

Imagine that eh ? Giving people a vote on EU decisions... whatever next ?

Trouble is most people are relying on pub gossip the Sun, Daily Express and Daily Mail for their information. Ask 90% of people why they want to leave the EU and they don't actually know. UKIP and Mr.Farage are a one policy party and i'd rather have Disney running the government. Oh, and btw i'm not pro-europe i just hate to see the 'Great British Public' getting mugged off by a bunch of self-interest shysters.
Why would you pick on my quote for your comments ? I just think getting a vote on any EU issue is something that simply doesn't happen. It is one of the most undemocratic systems in the world.

I did get a vote once, on whether to stay in or leave what I was told was a European Economic Community with no trade barriers or red tape so business could work more effectively. I actually voted yes because it sounded like a good deal.

What I've actually got is a bloated political system that is mostly unacountable to anyone, costs a fortune to run and can make laws which supercede our own parliament.
We have
The European Commission
The European Parliament
The European Council
The Council of the European Union (not to be confused with the one above)
The European Court of Justice
The European Court of Auditors
Plus several other bodies and commitees making decisions without any accountability to the people they are supposed to serve. But we all get to pay for it.

Mattc has it about right, in its current form is not what we want or need.
I think some of the powers that be have pulled our Mr Cameron to one side and said "Look Dave, this referendum nonsense, knock it on the head mate, we're not a democracy you know" Unfortunately they forgot to collar Papandreau and give him the same speech and now you're seeing the panic.

Just my view, but the sooner we get out of this economic madhouse the better.

Even if people aren't told the facts (and do we know what paper we should read) enough of us have seen the writing on the wall for a very long time. And been screaming at the top of our voices.

I remember and experienced the misery from Majors Gov. He was a joke trying to handle a split on the ERM (EU linked currency) and Masstricht with a country on 15% interest (right after a massive housing boom)

They gave him a medal.

Yet hardly anyone then wanted to leave EU still. ??? (apparently)

Good on the Greek PM I say. If he's going down anyway, kick 'em where it huts :)

That's the day the Greek referendum is pencilled in for. Next Greek debt repayment is due around the 12th I think and the Eurozone is saying no money until after the vote. We are starting to see the big players flex their muscles as they are scared of the results for their banks (and not the Greek populace).

I will be very interested how the Greeks vote; I have little knowledge of Greek history but I suspect having a metaphorical gun placed to your head is not going to endear the voters to the Euro (yes, I am sure they conveniently forget it was Greece who spent the money in the first place).

Last edited:
A further spanner in the works. Greek government splits appear. BBC News - G20 leaders meet amid signs of splits over Greece vote The problem with Greece is who do you negotiate with?? Its pretty obvious the Greek representatives who take part in the Euro negotiations are unable to convince their fellow countrymen to adopt the policies they agreed to.:doh:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom