Green 500e - new mods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

talbir

MB Enthusiast
Since i got the Canadian Green 500e on the road, i've managed to do a few more mods....recall the thread where this car was presented :

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres/72780-green-500e.html

Mods made since are :

- Brabus 500e/r129 500SL rear exhaust box fitted
- Brabus Trip computer fitted
- Burlwood Gear surround with extra switches and trip computer panel fitted
- Climate control burlwood surround with extra switch slot to accomodate window switch - one switch to lower/raise all 4 windows
- Brabus door wood fitted
- Heated rear seats fitted
- Rear console wood with 4 switches fitted

Below is a link to the pics i've uploaded onto photobucket (yet again i didn't set the date/time on the camera !) and some key pics uploaded below.

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/talbir/

Brief description of the above mods :

1/ Brabus rear box : this i got from ebay.de, brand new 500e/129 500SL specific and a real chunky fat piece, shaped to fit into the exhaust space perfectly. It's the type of box that is fatter on one side on the lower half - lovely rumble from this box, i removed the centre box after the cats and fitted a y-pipe.

2/ Brabus trip computer : again from ebay.de, i've had this for some time. Almost sold it a few months ago, glad i didn't ! The cluster was from a 3.4 Brabus w124, of course those had mechanical speedos and the 500e is electronic. So i had to transfer the speedo plate and the digital LCD clock that is part of the trip computer to the 500e speedo. A 10 minute mod to do this and then the wiring - very straightforward, although plenty of places to tap into with the trip computer. Note the burlwood gear surround contains a bespoke cut-out for the trip computer switch panel. Luckily the wood came with the trip computer, as did the entire instructions for usage ! I had to figure out all the wiring myself but did that a couple of years back when i ftted a similar set-up in my w124 estate

3/ Gear surround wood : needed to fit the antenna switch (ruined one antenna going into the garage forgetting to turn off the stereo, not an issue when one has an antenna switch as you just raise/lower to the height that won't be a problem !), door lock switch and dual horn switch to select between the air and electric horns. Of course the door lock relay required timer relays set-up to give a 3-second pulse required for the vacuum pump (since the door lock switch is a momentary contact switch)

4/ Window switch : love this little trick, raise or lower all 4 windows with a one touch window switch. Perfect for those summer days....and later on when it starts to rain suddenly on that same summer day !

5/ Brabus door wood : got this from a chap in Germany, note how the original 500e wood is slim and does not surround the door handles. This Brabus 4 piece wood set is extra width and works round the door handles. Note how rear door wood means window switch is eliminated...but read below to see where i slotted thos in !

6/ Heated rear seats & Rear console with switches : well i had the window switches to put somewhere and a set of 500e heated seat elements from the original seats of this car which were replaced with the heated/orthopaedic Recaro Ideal C's fitted. So i though it best to fit the window switches and the heated rear seat switches in the wood piece on the rear 500e original centre console box. Worked out very well, i now have a plan to do a similar mod on my Black 040 500E...but with two extra switches for something else !

So in summary, 23 switches in the car (excluding the trip computer, headlight switch and climate control panel !), heated front and rear seats, Brabus rear box and Brabus trip computer !

Note also how the rev counter goes to 8k not the stock 7k.

I've managed to find two 9.5J x 18 et 26 front Brabus Monoblock II multi-piece wheels - these will replace the existing front 8J wheels. The rears, 10J, will stay as they are to give a staggered 9.5J + 10J set-up instead of the current 8+10 ! :rock:

cheers
talbir

Attachments

• brabus mods 017a.jpg
    brabus mods 017a.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 424
  • brabus mods 019a.jpg
    brabus mods 019a.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 409
  • brabus mods 014a.jpg
    brabus mods 014a.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
...forgot to mention, also fitted chrome plated windscreen washers !

Attachments

• 30 aug 2009 007a.jpg
    30 aug 2009 007a.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 400
  • brabus mods a.jpg
    brabus mods a.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 401
  • 30 aug 2009 009a.jpg
    30 aug 2009 009a.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:

Attachments

• brabus mods 025a.jpg
    brabus mods 025a.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 744
  • brabus mods 026a.jpg
    brabus mods 026a.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 393
  • brabus mods 030a.jpg
    brabus mods 030a.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 392
Tablir, awesome work. That green with the green centre wheels against cream interior is just plain sick and the gold works beautifully.

You know what would seal the deal? Gold detailing in the engine bay such as the bonnet lock mechanism - just a touch here and there and then plate the door eyelets gold as well.

Talbir you've got 2 500E's.... You madman!

I also like what you've done with it, nothing short of expectation.

I`m left with no words,well done

cheers, i'm left with no energy ! Alot of wiring and patience to get those extra switches and cut-outs ! The rear console wood has a layer of 3mm aluminium/steel backing to avoid breaking under any stress from rear passengers getting 'fiddly' back there...

And the gear surround wood is it's own challenge as the front section is some 6mm thick...so it has to be thinned first then only can it accomodate switches between the factory cut heated seat switches !

talbir

Just one thing though,yet you still have the door pins

Talbir , what is the burl walnut 'block' on the right of the centre console ? Where the phone kit would be ...

That's a burlwood phone console with matching carpet to the side - rare piece, below is old photo.

cheers
t

Attachments

• white SEC wheel refurb 056a.jpg
    white SEC wheel refurb 056a.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 374
Ah !!

Does it hinge , is the phone inside ?

No, no phone is attached at present...the phone would be mounted on the burlwood surface - i just haven't attached a phone as i prefer the burlwood :D

talbir

I love having an interior that looks like a cockpit!

If i had the money and the 'know how' mine would look very similiar.

Have you still got a set of those clocks available as ive got the cash for them now...

Saw you Pupsi on Manor Road in Teddington the other day mate ...

Car looks W I D E .... :cool:

Cheers mate. Car was looking filthy that day though, i just gave it a nice wash today :D

Still havent sorted out my rear suspension yet either, dont know if you noticed that!

Sorry dum question, what is the square box on the door card under the door handle for and the cut out under the armrest on the door card for?

Square box you are referring to is a speaker grill which covers the midbass.

The other thing, if im not mistaken, is a cupholder.

Marshalla bad ride

i gotta get my 6.0 engine in my 500e in and restore it!! lol

acid

Marshalla bad ride

i gotta get my 6.0 engine in my 500e in and restore it!! lol

acid
LOOOOOOOOOL.The is no way to cope with him,he is like the 500e wizard :)Also Acid:You have a 500e?Pic please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom