Green flakes in distributor cap? 1991 500SL R129

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mhcrichton

Car
1975 450SL, 1991 500SL
Hi everyone.

So I replaced distributor caps and rotors not long ago (few months). I opened them up the other day to see how they were going and I noticed that on the left hand distributor cap (and on the rotor point) there was quite a bit of green flaky oxidisation that had built up, not so much on the points but just in the cap generally.

The left hand side was much worse than the right. See the attached pic of the right hand side cap - is this normal or is this indicative of something more sinister? Anyway I cleaned them up using WD40 and a cloth, will see how we get on I guess. Am a bit sick of buying new distributor caps!

One other thing, the orange plastic that goes around the rotors spun freely on the left side (like it was lubricated or something), but felt like it had more resistance on the right side orange rotor cap. Does this mean anything? I thouight perhaps the seal might be damaged?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards

Michael

Attachments

• dist.jpg
    dist.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 34
Hi everyone.

So I replaced distributor caps and rotors not long ago (few months). I opened them up the other day to see how they were going and I noticed that on the left hand distributor cap (and on the rotor point) there was quite a bit of green flaky oxidisation that had built up, not so much on the points but just in the cap generally.

The left hand side was much worse than the right. See the attached pic of the right hand side cap - is this normal or is this indicative of something more sinister? Anyway I cleaned them up using WD40 and a cloth, will see how we get on I guess. Am a bit sick of buying new distributor caps!

One other thing, the orange plastic that goes around the rotors spun freely on the left side (like it was lubricated or something), but felt like it had more resistance on the right side orange rotor cap. Does this mean anything? I thouight perhaps the seal might be damaged?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards

Michael

Looks like it's getting damp or condensation in there so that would suggest the seals.

Most likely moisture but poor quality parts wont help either. Cheers, Tony.

Thanks, Tony does that look like a poor quality distributor to you? A mechanic fitted it.

Water oxidising the copper for a guess

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Im not sure if anyone makes cheap caps for these... Im only aware of Bosch or Beru...

Ive had lots of trouble with Bosch so always go for Beru.. You should replace the seal at the same time to avoid the damp getting in.

I correct myself. Oxygen oxidising the copper. Not water. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom