green mould on soft top....Help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potshot

Car
CLK and E300TD
Can anyone suggest the best way to clean moss/mould from a soft top...?

I know elbow grease is involved but not sure of any other ingredient !!

I used warm soapy water and a good sponge on an SL mohair roof 2 years ago but sold her shortly afterwards and have no idea how successful it may have been.

Poor car looks dreadful ......

Thanks guys,

Renovo Soft Top Cleaner (canvas version) will remove it. It might take two or three applications/washes. For stubborn mildew leave the Renovo cleaner on the roof for 60 mins before you scrub with a sponge or soft bristle brush. Rinse thoroughly - dry thoroughly and then apply the Renovo Ultra Proofer to restore the waterproof finish and protect the top from mildew/bird droppings etc etc

+1 for renovo

I spoke to them when I got some for my last car - the trick is to brush on & let it soak for an hour, but then have a bucket of water as hot as your hand can stand and "brush as hard as you like" with a medium bristle brush.

It worked a treat (that was on a red canvas roof too) then you need to let it dry & reproof again with renovo

Thanks for the advice guys,
will get that done on the weekend, its a dark navy hood and looks really shabby.

Cheers,

After you get it clean, before re-proofing, apply Renovo blue hood re-colouring stuff - but be warned, it's thinner than water and gets everywhere. Mask up carefully round the edges and a long way down the body, don't forget drainage channels - eg along the boot lid - and check frequently for drips. It's easy to remove when wet, but a bitch to get of the bodywork once it's dry. Did the navy roof of my 968 cabriolet 2 years ago, it came up like new and still looks good.

Oh yes - do NOT fold the hood for at least 24 hours after re-colouring, you'll get whiteish crease marks in the hood (ask me how I know!!).

I would only use the Renovo recolour paint if absolutely necessary. I have just cleaned my 1996 W124 E320 cabriolet roof which is black and the roof has come up like new with no need to recolour.

I did some research on the Renovo recolouring paint and whilst there are lots of happy customers I did come across some customers who were not happy. In my case I decided not to take the risk as my roof when cleaned came up like new.

Last edited:
I would only use the Renovo recolour paint if absolutely necessary.
I agree!! Because the Renovo, as well as being to all intents and purposes a paint, as has been said earlier, it gets everywhere, so masking is important.

I normally used AutuGlym cleaner and reproofer on the black roof of my Saab vert, and as AG don't sell the two separately, and I used more reproofer than cleaner, I also bought Meguiars' reproofer occasionally. (I usually did it before and after the winter, so it didn't always need the cleaner)

It's still important to be careful to keep it off the bodywork, but at least it's not coloured.....

Malcolm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom