Greetings from a former colony! 320CDI HELP)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ohcaptainron

Greetings from a former colony! (320CDI HELP)

Greetings, from Evergreen, Colorado. USA

The 211 series 320CDI is available for ordering here in the US, as a 2005 model, deliveries starting this April. I am about to order and since the car has been available in the UK for some time now, I thought I would seek out some sage advice about the cars strong and weak points.

In particular, any problems? Electrical? We have been hearing about turbo issues, premature failures associated with the variable geometry guide vanes, any experiences?

Any options to stay away from? Any that are a must have? The air suspension is currently unavailable for order on the CDI. Also does anyone have the ordering code number for rear heated seats also currently not available for order here, but my dealer is willing to submit in the hope it sneaks through, also no sport option. Any opinions on the glass sunroof versus the panoramic option? Overall impressions and help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ron

1985 300TDT Wagon (sorry) Estate 123
1993 300D 2.5 Turbo 124
1999 E300D ( to be replaced with E320CDI) 210
2002 E320 AWD Estate 210
2003 E 55 AMG 211

Last edited:
Nice selection of cars Ron - welcome to the forum ! You almost have one for each day of the week ;) ..... is that the goal ?!

We have at least one E320 CDI W211 owner here - Brian WH - I'm sure he'll be able to advise. As far as I know, no problems - and if it was me buying, I would definitely go for the panoramic roof option if you can - it looks great !

S.

ohcaptainron said:
Greetings, from Evergreen, Colorado. USA

The 211 series 320CDI is available for ordering here in the US, as a 2005 model, deliveries starting this April. I am about to order and since the car has been available in the UK for some time now, I thought I would seek out some sage advice about the cars strong and weak points.

In particular, any problems? Electrical? We have been hearing about turbo issues, premature failures associated with the variable geometry guide vanes, any experiences?

Any options to stay away from? Any that are a must have? The air suspension is currently unavailable for order on the CDI. Also does anyone have the ordering code number for rear heated seats also currently not available for order here, but my dealer is willing to submit in the hope it sneaks through, also no sport option. Any opinions on the glass sunroof versus the panoramic option? Overall impressions and help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ron

Hi Ron

I've had mine for 12 months now and no problems with either electrical or mechanical defects. An excellent machine all round and faster than the 320 petrol.

Must have Options are the CD Changer code 819, the Avantgarde extras are £500 and well worth it. Leather is a must. All others are more personal choice.

Airmatic suspension is only available on the E500 avantgarde here. The prewired telephone code 382/354 I wish I had bought. Heated rear seats are code 872.

Good luck mate.

Brian WH said:
Hi Ron

I've had mine for 12 months now and no problems with either electrical or mechanical defects. An excellent machine all round and faster than the 320 petrol.

Must have Options are the CD Changer code 819, the Avantgarde extras are £500 and well worth it. Leather is a must. All others are more personal choice.

Airmatic suspension is only available on the E500 avantgarde here. The prewired telephone code 382/354 I wish I had bought. Heated rear seats are code 872.

Good luck mate.

Airmatic is only standard on the E500 but is available on all other models as far as I'm aware. Its listed in the price list:

489 AirMATIC Dual Control – semi-active air suspension £1,055.32 £1,240.00
(reduces boot capacity by 10 litres; not with code 485 or 486; standard on E 500)

Thanks for the information. The order went in today. I will be doing what we call European delivery. I will travel to Germany to pick the car up at the factory sometime in early May.Factory Tour,Then a week or two braking it in on the autobahn, a quick trip to a tuner then back to the US.
order specification:
E320CDI 2005
Full Leather Upholstery: Code A
Metallic Paint
Premium Package Code 326
(Includes : Active ventilated front seats, drive dynamic seats, Harmon
Kardon Logic 7 Digital Surround sound system, CD changer,Glass Roof,
Rear Window Sunshade, Rear Side Window Sunshade, DVD Navigation)
Lighting Package Code 339
(Includes Bi-Xeon Cornering Headlights high and low beam, headlight washers)
Panorama Sunroof Code 413
4 Zone Climate Control Code 581
Wood and Leather Steering Wheel Code 289
Rear Seat Package Code 325
Rear Seat Heating????

Car and Driver Mag in the March issue did a piece on the future of diesels in the US, lots of problems with emissions but they believe once the US gets low sulfur fuel and catalist technology improves the diesel will be a strong competator to the the very popular high breads currently the rage here. They talked about and tested the Euro version of the E320CDI VS the petrol version and commented that Mercedes will find it difficult to sell a petrol version. The CDI is that good. 0-60 in their tests 6.9 seconds, very impressive, while recording 28MPG US city and 44MPG US highway. In any event Diamler Chyrsler will only import 4000 total for all of 2005. So I am feeling pretty excited about getting the car, having driven Mercedes diesels for the last 25 years and coveting some of the models only available in Europe, finally vindicated. Thanks again for your help.

All the best.

Ron

P.S. Sym; actually those are just the Mercedes, it would seem that I am in need of a twelve step program to rid myself of this addiction. However, my insurance provider might have to do without if I were ever cured.

Last edited:
Congratualations, you have made a good choice. The S211 320Cdi is an excellent vehicle and exceeds all my expectations.

I thought MB were planning to sell the new 4.0 V8 diesel into the US market as well. There really is a power race going on the the diesel market right now, with the VW W10 diesel engine being the beast of the moment (313ps & 750Nm torque) being upstaged maybe by the Audi twin turbo V8 diesel the W12 stuff in the pipeline. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom