Gregs New Car Choice

What Should GregE240 replace the E-Class with?

• E55 AMG (W210)

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • S500

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • CL500

Votes: 32 61.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregE240

Car
1990 500SL
OK folks, Matts got one going, so I might as well put my cards on the table as well:

The E240 is getting a bit long in the tooth now, so in January its time for replacement. Sadly, this wasn't helped at all by one of out esteemed members letting me drive his CL65!! So a CL500 (215 shape) is in the equation.

Basically my options are as follows:

1) W210 E55 AMG
2) S500 (SWB, sat in a LWB on Saturday and it was huge)
3) CL500

As a fourth possibility, I guess I could run to an E500 (W211).

What do you think?

Greg

Me neither ;) CL500 is my choice. Owned one in the past and loved it, so much I bought the others! Also drove an S500 and more snug and supple ride, with newer looks and technology than the W210 E55 with not too much performance difference between them.

Go on greg, you know you want too ;) :D

SG CL500 said:
not that i'm biased but...
I didn't expect anything less, sir! ;) perhaps if you get a moment, you could PM me with your thoughts on yours? My only thought was rear space (I have an 11 y/o stepson), but I sat in the back of one on Saturday and it was fine (I'm 5 11).

Thanks,
Greg

GregE240 said:
I didn't expect anything less, sir! ;) perhaps if you get a moment, you could PM me with your thoughts on yours? My only thought was rear space (I have an 11 y/o stepson), but I sat in the back of one on Saturday and it was fine (I'm 5 11).

Thanks,
Greg

will do

Hmm toughie...... :confused:

w210 will rust away before you finish your first journey.....

I would say CL or w211 E500, they go like stink and are very nice cars, not sure about rust issues with the w211 though so might be an idea to do some research.

probably CL, they kick a$$ :rock:

CL... Suits you, sir!!

Ooh do you want it sir, ooh do you crave leather interior and lust after V8 power? :p

S.

CL500 anyday...

I've gone for the CL on this one. I do like the W211 E500, its a lovely car but in the long run think the CL will hold its value and desirability more...just like the SL.

You can get a CL600 for the same money - though if money isn't an issue I'd get a 2001 CL55.

S500... (if u have family/children) otherwise a CL500 for the excluseivity...

Flash, interested you say that.

I've got an 11 y/o stepson, and I now know that when he is a strapping 6 footer I won't feel like the evil stepdad making him sit in the back.

True, the CL is a little more than an S500, but you only live once, right? I don't want to spend the next 3 years ruminating on what could have been.....

Thanks for all your comments so far chaps.....

Greg

Assume you mean a new shape S500 ? I'd go for that - the E doesn't handle as well as the CLS (and on the basis you spec'd the E55 I assume you want sportiness). CL500 is a lovely car, but they are replacing it shortly - having said all that, its still one of the best shaped Merc's ever in my opinion.

Tough choice - I'd probably plumb for the CL, but a CLS would also be interesting to me in that price range - the CLS500 is v. quick.

GregE240 said:
Flash, interested you say that.

I've got an 11 y/o stepson, and I now know that when he is a strapping 6 footer I won't feel like the evil stepdad making him sit in the back.

True, the CL is a little more than an S500, but you only live once, right? I don't want to spend the next 3 years ruminating on what could have been.....

Thanks for all your comments so far chaps.....

Greg

Follow ur heart mate and go for the CL500 - beautiful car with plenty of room in rear too. It is a very pretty car... like you aid "you only live once...". :)

CLS ... yes!! yes!!!

saorbust said:
Tough choice - I'd probably plumb for the CL, but a CLS would also be interesting to me in that price range - the CLS500 is v. quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom