gremlin is killing the electric seat gradually

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonifatich

Car
C200K W203 2001reg
The passenger seat is dying off slowly. First its the back/forward option, then back of up/down option, then recliner. So the only thing the seat is doing now is moving up and down in the front and the head rest.

I thought may be motors but the seat was so far back that the back bolts were covered. What a bitch it was to take the seat apart to move it manually forward so I could undo the back bolts. I am so chaffed I f*&%^£ did it though. :bannana:

Anyhow, here is how I singled out the problem.
Passenger seat:
1) Removed the motors and tested on the driver's SCM using driver's seat switch and they all work perfect. So motors are fine.
2) Tested driver's SCM on the passenger's seat using passenger's seat switch, no response at all…dead.
3) Tested passenger's SCM on the driver's side, using driver's seat switch, no response…all dead.
4) Fuses 1 and 38 are all in good condition.
5) No wires are chewed up.

Questions:
1) Do driver's and passenger's SCMs differ? i.e. they cannot be swapped to substitute?

2) All I hear is clicking in the passenger's SCM. Does it mean SCM is failing or is it worth checking the passenger seat switch?

3) Where can I (if I have to) buy reasonably priced SCM but not from Mercedes dealer? Serial: A 203 820 16 26

It's probably the wiring harness has chafed on the frame.

Since the motors are all operating on the other SCM, meaning their wiring is fine. Unless what WIRING HARNESS are you talking about: the one that feeds from the seat switch through the floor to the SCM?

The wiring issue will blow a 30amp fuse in the rear Sam, have you thought about a faulty seat control unit?

When singling out the problem it indeed appears to be faulty seat control unit however I am still unsure because the driver's SCM has not worked too on the passenger's side.
Therefore I am not sure whether there is any difference between driver's and passenger's SCM or not?
If there is, then indeed SCM is the trouble maker however I can't find a replacement unless from US which is not an option or MB dealer which is too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom