Grill - Should I stay or should I go?

Stay or go?

• I like it, keep it

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • It's awful, change it now!

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It works out around £9-10k depending how you work the px figures.

It's probably a little over the odds but it has a full MBSH and the guy has recently put the new wheels on, changed all the brakes/discs etc.

If it's as nice as he says then it's worth the money to me.

I've always fancied one because the lines are so nice as you say, just a pity it's not a 320 :)

Cheers,

Phil

After an EVO VI, you WILL find it VERY VERY sluggish, at all times.

We used to have an E220 coupe, it was a very nice car, apart from you needed to thrash it because of the torque...

The Avantgarde grills are available from a guy in birmingham, who brings them in with him from germany, he sells them at £80 each from memory, only does the W124, W201 ones though.

Gud Luck ;)

Sorry to butt in V12 but does anyone do one for the pre-facelifted W124 like mine?

Originally posted by V12
After an EVO VI, you WILL find it VERY VERY sluggish, at all times.

That's the main thing I'm worried about but my work journey has recently changed from a 20 mile A and B road blast to a 20 mile Motorway commute so I'm hoping that will take the sting out of it.

Oh, and the £300 a month (at least) I will save doing 12k miles per year!

Any idea how to contact the guy in Birmingham?

Cheers,

Phil

Originally posted by Lust4Life
Any idea how to contact the guy in Birmingham?

You know that's sounds so familiar, I was told that someone in Birmingham sold different grills for the w202, and I was given the guy's name and number, but this was back in August 2001 and it's long since lost. I ended up buying an oem grill.

Spike, they are available for yours, as just an insert piece, which is held in by four clips and one screw.

Lust4Life, i have no idea how to contact him, he has approached me a few times about selling them, but there would be £5 a grill in it for me...so i opted out, if he contacts me soonish, i will let you know.
You wont find the car too bad on the motorway, it will still cruise comfortably at 80 or so, and will top out at probably 125 or so...

Main thing is the power delivery will be much smoother, i found the EVO to have very peaky power delivery at 4k or so...

Shude, yeah he's been around for a while, used to bring in the clear indicators way before they were around on most cars...

;)

Last edited:
Have had an indicated 135ish in my 230CE...driving accross europe in the car a few years *before* I actually bought it.

If the engines like my 230, it seems to have a reasonable amount of torque and is fine for everyday driving but overtaking caravans on A roads and stuff can be a little 'interesting'.

Its a shame you cant find a Six cylinder model for the same money really - I know I would ....but then I only paid £2k for mine so I wasnt in a position to shop around.

135!!! :crazy: flappin 'eck!!!

out of a four pot 2.3....:bannana:

off a cliff... ;)

Cheers guys!

Everything feels slow after the Evo really as it's around 350BHP and it's a blinkin missile.

Be nice to relax for a change :D

Couldn't really shop around because the insurance is due at the end of January and if I renew it I'll keep the car, it was a bit of a last minute decision really but the guy approached me and it looks sweet in the pictures (apart for the grill anyway ;))

If it falls thru does anyone fancy pxing for an Evo :)

Cheers,

Phil

Bought it yesterday, just got back from a weekend in Newcastle with friends where we did the swap.

Basically it looks brand new apart from a cracked seatbelt thingy that passes the belt over your shoulder and a funny crack in a piece of boot trim.

I'll post a pic of the boot problem in a seperate thread but does anyone know how easy/cheap it is to replace the Plastic seatbelt presenter? (drivers side).

Cheers,

Phil

Congrats!!! hope to see u at the meet soon!

The seatbelt presenter is easy enough to get to ...you just remove the back seat and then the back [door?] card. (dunno what to call it without a door there)

The mechanism itself, I dont know how easy it is to remove but what I can tell you is you will probably need to undo seatbelt anchor by the door which is spring loaded and an absolute b*tch to pretension again. I know only to my peril.... If anyone knows how to do this I will be eternally greatful.

Right, this is the grill I want

i-1.JPG

But its on German eBay here ??

What's the best bet for procuring this as I'm not even sure my German and babelfish will get me registered to send him an email :)

Alternatively, does anyone know where these can be got in England?

Advice much appreciated!

Phil

Register on Ebay UK, then you can bid on any ebay auction. have a look here, the same item off German ebay, viewed on the UK ebay site.

The seller is called Torsten, and speaks english.

I sent payment in cash (Euro), by registered mail with no problems. My bank would have wanted to charge a fortune to wire the money.....

The grill i recieved was just the insert, but it easily clipped into the old chrome outer frame.

I don't know of anywhere in the UK that sells them pre cut.....maybe ECP

Last edited:
replace the .de with .co.uk

Bwahahahaha! (in Dr Evil voice)

Nice one, right I'm off to eBay :)

Phil

Won the Auction, got to send the money to Torsten to get the grill.

Cheers Paul!

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom