Grinding paste on injector end ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny DeVito

Car
V220 CDI
I would like opinions please on using grinding paste to properly seat injectors and seals instead of using a cutting tool. First using the inj alone and then with paste between the inj and seal and the head and seal. What do you think ? If it gives valves a near perfect seat then why not an injector ?

Apart from that, the turbo whistle i thought i was hearing turned out to be the air blowing out of #3 cylinder when i was accelerating !!:eek:

Where do the cuttings from the cutting tool end up ?

Did you ever hear of putting VIM into cylinders to restore compression ?

A question i have asked myself too. I'd be less worried about the paste than cuttings

Grinding paste grinds !!

I'd be reluctant to recommend this.
If you are scrupulous in removing all residues, it may work for one injector one time.
If you need to change the injector, the seat will only actually be pefect for the injector you used for the grinding.

Grinding paste relies on the fact that it is carborundum suspended in an oily film ........ I am at a loss as to how you ensure that this does not dribble into the cylinder with horrendous results. If you cut the seats it may be possible to remove the swarf with a vacuum, although I have never done this, and would agree that you should be aiming for a flat seat that will accommodate any injector with a new seat washer rather than one which has to accommodate a seat AND an injector.
Has anyone ever managed to reinvent the wheel??

Imagine a scales, on one side is 150 quid to rent a seat cutter on the other side my grinding paste which costs 0. Add to the 0 the total amount i have spare to carry out the repairs and here we will find the reason for my post :) And thanks for yours thoughts so far !

Don't use grinding paste. Get it cut properly and cut the injector a little too if it is rough. The cuttings stay on the tool.

Did you ever hear of putting VIM into cylinders to restore compression ?
I had that told to me once and thought it was just an Urban Myth :dk:

Sounds like a sure-way to knacker a good engine !!

Slightly off topic, but in ppc magazine a few years ago, they had an audi a6 with a snapped of spark plug. They didnt want to remove the head just for 1 plug, so filled the cylinder up with thick whipped cream from an aerosol can, and drilled it out.

When they had finished drilling and cleaning up the threads, the fuel pump was disabled and the engine spun over on the starter. The swarf from the drilling was pumped out in the whipped cream, a new plug was fitted, and the engine ran as creamy as you like! :bannana:

Whatever it takes , that sounds cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom