Grinding sound when braking/applying breaks at slow speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ladd220

Car
e220 Coupe 1996
Hi all,

The car: w124 e220 coupe, 1996.

I have just had new ball joints, idler arm bushes and tie rods put in. Its made a big difference to the ride quality and absorbs the potholes alot better now.

However, since i've had them done, i've noticed a kind of rubbing/grinding/creaking noise from the front of the car which was not there before i had the work done. The noises can be heard when the car has almost stopped. at around 5mph. so, whenever i come towards traffic light, i'll hear/feel the noises in the last 10-15 feet before stopping.

I want to go back to the mechanic that did the work but i'd like to be a bit more aware of possibilities before i do.

Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks in advance.

maybe the pads are not free in their housing?

I would jack up the wheel and spin it whilst listening
if I can hear the grinding noise
hit the caliper with a small hammer a few dozen times
spin the disk and wheel, listen,
repeat as required.

a non bodger will probably be along to tell you how it should be done in a mo..

thanks for the replies. I've already checked the brakes etc. the discs were replaced around 6 months ago, and i had new pads put in at the same time. wheels move freely. I also checked the metal cover/case behind the disc to make sure that hadn't been bent towards the disc during the work i had done but they seem fine and there's plenty of clearence...

could any of the other suspension parts cause these sounds?

maybe the hammering etc involved in removing old ball joints has accelerated the deterioration of other parts...

I hadn't thought about them being at fault so i'll take a look. how can i check if there's play?
Jack the wheel up and then grasp it firmly with your hands top and bottom and see if there is any play. Side to side will also tell you if there is any play in your steering components but top to bottom checks your wheel bearing.

Jack the wheel up and then grasp it firmly with your hands top and bottom and see if there is any play. Side to side will also tell you if there is any play in your steering components but top to bottom checks your wheel bearing.

Hi,

Checked for play in the wheel bearings and there was no play. the wheels rotates as normal.

What i did notice thought is that the brake disc looked like it may be warped. whilst rotating, i noticed the disc get closer ad further from the brake pads.... which i found quite strange, as the discs and pads are only 6 months old. however, i'm not experiencing any of the symptoms you would expect with warped discs....

I'm just wondering now whether the hammering during the removal of the ball joints has bent the whole fixture....

Thanks for the suggestions so far, more ideas welcome....

Definitely sounds like the brake disks grinding on the pads - which would be the case if they are warped and not going through the caliper straight.

it may be as simple as the disc not being refitted squarely on the hub due to a bit of dirt/grit/rust being left on the hub and not being brushed off before disc fitted onto it.

Other possibility is that the sliding callipers pins have got bent if the callipers were removed at any point

Hi All

Thanks for all your help.... Th problem has now been solved...!!!

The problems were as follows:

-Even though everything looked clean with the brake pads, a good clean- sanding of the brake pads and re-greasing, including the pins solved the gringing sound...

-Also, it became apparent that the drivers side brake disc was also warped even though they are only 9 months/4500miles old.... Nor did i feel any judder whilst braking - had them skimmed today and everything is like it was before...

Many thanks for all your help..

Regs
Ladd220

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom