Grinning like a Cheshire cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickmann

Car
Porsche 911
I just got back from a testdrive in a CLK55 AMG. Phwwooooaaarrr!! What a luvly noise. The mixture of squealing tyres, booming exhaust, and maniacal laughter is quite addictive. The display said 12-point something mpg for the hour-long drive, and I reckon it should have a read-out for rear tyres as well.

Not really a car I would like to own, as my licence would never stand it. I only went in for some brake fluid but had some time to spare and thought "what the hey".

I hope that's got it out of my system for a while :)

I'm really tempted by a CLK55AMG, but have to keep telling myself I can't have one - I'm sure if I test-drove one, that would be it and I'd have to have one! :D

I was at a TVR and Brabus dealership today and they had a Brabus CV8 there ... 6.1 litre V8 :eek: extremely scrummy :cool:

there are a couple on eBay at the moment ... the 208 version.

did you try the 209 or the 208?

BTW, you get used to the power much sooner than you think, then you think "would be interesting to supercharge it" ... but also it's easy to drive slowly and smoothly

this is exactly what happened to me :eek:

Flyer said:
- I'm sure if I test-drove one, that would be it and I'd have to have one! :D

It was a 2000 model, not sure if that's 209 or 208? It was great with the ESP turned off. I loved the way it went through 1st and 2nd before it got to 20mph. The rear tyres (and the pads and discs) were totally shot - the salesman said the owner is quite enthusiastic with the loud pedal. I can see why. It had loads of gizmos, including pneumatic seats which were quite funky.

I need to carry cycles on mine, if there is a way to get 5 bikes on a CLK then maybe...then again perhaps not. I'd be afraid of the missus backing it through a hedge. Even with the ESP turned on you arrive at bends pretty quickly and the ESP can't save you if you're on the brakes!!

Best bit? Can't decide whether its the noise, or the ability to leave £10's worth of rubber on the floor in one go.

You get to a point with quick cars that they stop feeling quick then u want more power...

Agreed. I went through the same thing with motorbikes. Eventually I became an instructor, and quickly learned to appreciate that a flat torque curve is a big part of being able to safely "make progress" on the road in real-life conditions. I converted to twins from fours and never looked back. Did the same thing with cars - always loved torque over power. That CLK had both, in spades. And when the power end of the rev-counter sounds that goooood it's hard to resist!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom