groaning from the steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottishc280

I have had a strange groaning from the steering for the last 3 weeks.

It is only when turning right at at about 20-30mph. Always when going round a roundabout a little faster than the average driver. If I steer slightly left when the noise is evident it goes away.

When I try turning right when stationary I get no noise?

Any ideas. Thanks.

car is a c280 v6 1999 with 45k miles

scottishc280 said:
I have had a strange groaning from the steering for the last 3 weeks.

It is only when turning right at at about 20-30mph. Always when going round a roundabout a little faster than the average driver. If I steer slightly left when the noise is evident it goes away.

When I try turning right when stationary I get no noise?

Any ideas. Thanks.

car is a c280 v6 1999 with 45k miles

I had the same problem with my previous S Class. Dealer said it was steering rack and had it replaced under warranty....it wasn't. He then replaced the steering column as well, problem went away. Good luck!

We had groaning steering on our C43 - turned out to be a completely worn out steering damper. Diagnosed by putting car on ramps and listening for the noise from underneath. Not expensive to fix! :)

damper replaced.....

noise still there.

Will have to play some more and see what I can find. I see the car has a steering box rather than a rack so I will check none of the linkages are making a noise.

While I was under I did an oil and filter change then reset the assys. What a great car and so easy to do. Only cost me £30 for the oil (Halfords synthetic at the BOGOF price in Jan) and the filter was about £5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom