GROUP BUY GPS/Laser/Radar Detectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well,

I ordered mine from Jimmy yesterday (Tuesday), arrived this morning (Wednesday) ... stuck in meetings most of the day .... managed to open it and have a play around 2:00pm. Registered it on the website, got confirmation back about 2 hours later, so was able to download the very latest database ....

When I registered there's an "any comments" field - so naturally I took the opportunity to praise "Express Autoparts" - great service - lived up to name - express - a credit to them, etc, etc ....

After work I set it up in the car. Unforunately I can't have it mounted like Graham (see above) as I don't have any carbon fibre bits on the dash - so had to go for the traditional mounting. The unit itselft sits perfectly on top of the dash directly in front of me - with clear view of the display.

Took about 1 minute to 'warm up' and picked up 5 satellites immediately.

Drove home on the A30 - not a sqeal from it at all.

Did notice that I was picking up 5 or 6 satellites at any one time (very very occasionally dropping to 4).

When I got home I knew it was working as there's a camera at the end of my garden[1] and it warned me well in advance that I was approaching one.

Going to go out and test the radar piece of it later (using the + volume button on my sky remote).

I kept flicking between the satellites and my mph. My speedo in comparison is on average 10% out (need to do some proper testing on this) - noting that it's approximately a second behind.

So far so good.

Thank you very very much Jimmy for a wonderful service.

[1] - When I'm pissed with my mates at home we sit at the end of my garden with our camera flashes and as 'select' cars poodle by we 'flash' them ......

Originally posted by Tan
How are you guys finding the road angels?

Those of you that have not bought yet, are you still thinking of buy a device and if so, what type?

I still want the origin b2 so will see what happens when they release next week.

I am waiting on the report for this from UKSPEEDTRAPS before I commit to anything................

I am also wondering how the Laser eye will work through my electric rear blind

My main concern is that I want a stealth install but need to see the B2 in more detail to see if I could stealth mount it.

oh i found this:

http://www.gps-systems.co.uk/assured_mobility.htm

Assured Mobility Insurance

Only available from Trading Direct (GPS-Systems.co.uk) and free with every unit sold you will also get free of charge 12 months insurance to cover transport costs against disqulification from driving regardless of the number of points already on your licence.

This insurance is underwritten by Allianz Cornhill Insurance PLC. You will receive your Cover and Schedule Certificate which includes the full terms and conditions of the insurance 14 days after your order.

What is covered
1. If you are disqualified from driving following a speeding offence under Section 89 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 or from the accumulation of 12 points or more for speeding under Section 35 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 we will, at your request and subject to our approval, pay for alternative personal travel costs necessarily incurred as a direct result of your disqualification:-
a. between your home address and your normal place of employment or full time education
and/or
b. your home address and any single educational establishment where you have children under the age of 16 years in full time education.

2. We will, for the period of your disqualification, but not exceeding 6 months, pay up to £1,000 per month for approved alternative travel costs for a maximum of 2 trips per day. If your period of disqualification exceeds 6 months we will only pay for the first 6 months of the disqualification period.

3. The total amount payable will not exceed £6,000. If however at the inception or subsequent renewal date of your Policy you have already acquired, have any prosecution pending or have committed an offence which subsequently results in, more than 6 points on your driving licence then the total amount payable will be reduced. The total amount payable will be reduced to
£3,000 for 7 or 8 points or
£1,500 for 9 or more points.

4. We will provide cover for disqualification commencing during the period of cover stated on the Schedule. We will also provide cover for disqualification commencing after the period of insurance, provided in both instances the incident resulting in the disqualification occurred during the period of cover.

What is not covered

1. We will not make any payment for disqualification arising from any convictions other than under Section 89 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 or Section 35 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.

2. We will not make any payment for disqualification if at the date of conviction you are also convicted of any other motoring offence.

3. We will not make any payment under more than one Assured Mobility Policy for any disqualification.

4. We will not make any payment for any costs that you are entitled to claim under any other insurance Policy providing benefits in respect of disqualification.

5. We will not make any payment for any journey outside the United Kingdom.

6. We will not make any payment for any costs incurred before acceptance and approval by Allianz Cornhill Insurance PLC. See “Claims Procedures”.

NOTE: We do not condone speeding and will not be held responsible for anybody prosecuted for breaking the law, we support the use of radar detectors and similar devices however for two reasons. Firstly, anyone who does a lot of driving is going to unintentionally break the speed limit at some point because they do not notice their speed creep up as they follow the car infront and we feel you should be warned about your speed before you are prosecuted for a crime you did not intend to commit.

Secondly, cameras should be placed on dangerous roads and in accident blackspots to slow traffic down and catch the most reckless of drivers who do not have the skill to sensibly judge a dangerous stretch of road. Unfortunately cameras and police speed traps are most often placed on straight flat clear sections of road with no immediate danger or where the speed limit has recently been reduced with the soul intention of catching speeding motorists and generating fines. However, for those placed correctly in accident blackspots, a radar detector can give you advanced warning of danger on the road ahead.

We are stockists and official main dealers of all these products. We can offer discounts on volume purchases for motoring clubs, fleet purchases etc.

Any questions we haven't answered, then please email us for a quick response.

*BUMP*

No more takers??

I have sold out, so will be re-ordering on Monday. It would be nice to know if anybody else wants a Road Angel as the more I order the cheaper they are.

Out of those who expressed an interest but have not ordered, is there anything bothering you or anything you want to ask? We had alot of interest at the start of this thread.

Remember that because the OB2 is new there is unlikely to be any deals or discounts avaulable for some time. The Road Angel is simple and effective and has the best database and ease of use.

J,

How did the training go on Friday?

Pick up any useful/interesting info?

K

Hi Guys

As you may be aware I have been quite interested in the new B2 that is out now.

I have spoken with Origin and they have put me in touch with a supplier who is willing to give us a discount if we are interested.

The approximate prices that I have been given so far are:

1 unit £375 inclusive and for multiple units around £350.

I feel that the prices could drop a little if there are more takers.

We may also be able to get extra cradles for multiple car use at good prices.

Laser Diffusers are also available at reduced prices... I personally will be avoiding these due to the legal implications.

Regards

Tan

Hi James

I'm holding back as I've just got comand (thanks Steve_bcs!) and I now need to get a MB CD player or Dension DMP3, so now skint :crazy: .

I'm also not keen on having it on the dash; I like the way you can stealth install the OB2. But I'm not getting anything yet anyway, so those views could have changed by the time I am ready :D .

Cheers

Andrew

Originally posted by Flyer
Hi James

I'm holding back as I've just got comand (thanks Steve_bcs!) and I now need to get a MB CD player or Dension DMP3, so now skint :crazy: .

I'm also not keen on having it on the dash; I like the way you can stealth install the OB2. But I'm not getting anything yet anyway, so those views could have changed by the time I am ready :D .

Cheers

Andrew

You can stealth install the Road Angel too, by purchasing a re-radiating GPS antenna, you can mount anywhere.

Maybe I missed something, what is the additional functionality that the B2 offers that you guys are waiting for?

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
You can stealth install the Road Angel too, by purchasing a re-radiating GPS antenna, you can mount anywhere.

Maybe I missed something, what is the additional functionality that the B2 offers that you guys are waiting for?

For me, the size is the main selling point. I haven't got the exact size, so it may not fit in the ashtray but the RA certainly wouldn't. If I go for the Dension DMP3 I would have to find a new place for it anyway as the DMP3 satellite will just fit in the ashtray.

I had a radar detector years ago (can't remember the make, was pretty useless actually!) and I just remember the hassle of removing it when I got home and re-siting it and plugging it in again when I went out - wanted to avoid that.

Cheers

Andrew

Just picked up this lively thread!

I have been using a RoadAngel for about 6 months after an unfortunate incident involving 3 points...

I have used it extensively in the South East and all around Wales, South Coast etc and it picked up all the active cameras, all the time. Very few false alarms. The updates take around 1min (on broadband) to do and I have just had the headunit upgraded with the new s/w and got the laser detector.

I use this intermittently between all the cars, only the S-class needs a reradiating antenna because of the infrared glass. Others work fine on the dash.

Having said that it is a pain to have wires draped all over the show and I would like to actually get the fittings put in place in each of the cars and just swap the head unit around. This is particularly an issue in the S-class because you need the wires from the powered reradiating antenna as well.

I am going to try the laser detector but I am skeptical that it will be useful and would be interested in other peoples experience. The reason being that it takes around 1 - 2 sec max to get a reading and even if the detector beeps instantly it will be nearly impossible to slow down rapidly enough.

I don't know whether the alert (given that the beam is narrowly focussed) will alert you to general use of the laser (I doubt it) the only sure form of defence is a diffuser. This can be linked to the RA as well using a variety of diffusers. The one recommended is the LRC 100 which is small and easiest to install. However I am not certain of the legalities of this. Can anyone shed any light?

I would really appreciate a GTG where we could invite some of these experts to a) describe in detail their products (eg: whether the laser detector is really useful) and b) bringing some of their fitters to fit them (in stealth mode) to our cars. I am sure there would be a number of takers. c) invite some of the testers with their laser guns to validate installations etc. There is a service offered for this on a website...

Lastly, does anyone have any clever suggestions as to where in an S-class you could stealth mount the RA - Guys OBi (I think) fitting neatly in the ashtray from recollection. The RA is bigger and doesn't fit in there.

Sorry for the long post, but I have gone into this in some detail - hopefully this is useful information.

You are absolutely right about laser guns. The only chance you have of getting a warning is to pick up a signal which was not aimed at you...

And I would advise strongly against fitting a jammer/diffuser for this reason.

Hope this helps your decision :)

The OB2 comes with a cradle that can be fitted permananetly then all you have to do is move the main unit around like you do with a mobile phone/car kit.

The extra cradles are around £30/£40.

This is what i am going to do because i will be using three different cars.

Its the same old story ..

We are allowed to hide behind trees , use virtually unmarked vans , use high tech methods of speed detection , hide fixed sites but try and go on a level playing field with them and you get done for perverting the course of justice. ONE way traffic.

I know this is often used , but , REAL crimes are being missed because of this obsession with the money machine they call traffic police. Instead of going out and arresting house breakers , muggers , drug dealers etc etc . Its just a soft target and an easy afternoon causing years of mysery for the rest of us.]

ARGHH

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Hi Guys

I have found out that we can get Origin B2's for £329, the price has been arranged by another forum but they need a minimum of 10 units to get this price. Last time i checked they were on 8 not including myself.

If anyone is interested please let me know.

Regards

Tan

need to see a review of one first...

I'm still not sure what the attraction is of the B2 over the Road Angel - apart from the new design, and the size...

Yes - it displays much more information, but I like the simplicity of the RA. I like to be alerted by the audible and colour coded warnings, together with my actual speed, rather than having to peer at a small screen to see what the actual speed limit is ... or exactly how many metres it is to the camera. If you are going to stealth mount it, the additional info is of limited use anyway, as you won't have it at eye level !

I'm sure its a well thought out product - but as it is so recent, and still no reviews, its hard to know at the moment.

(Let us know what you think if you get one though ;))

S.

Originally posted by sym
I'm still not sure what the attraction is of the B2 over the Road Angel - apart from the new design, and the size...

Yes - it displays much more information, but I like the simplicity of the RA. I like to be alerted by the audible and colour coded warnings, together with my actual speed, rather than having to peer at a small screen to see what the actual speed limit is ... or exactly how many metres it is to the camera. If you are going to stealth mount it, the additional info is of limited use anyway, as you won't have it at eye level !

I'm sure its a well thought out product - but as it is so recent, and still no reviews, its hard to know at the moment.

(Let us know what you think if you get one though ;))

S.

Quite I agree Sym. As soon as my RA goes into alert, one of my 1st reactions (depending on my speed and location!) is to check what type of alert the RA is warning me of - mobile, fixed etc. Having the device at eye level is essential for that.

andy_k said:
tee hee - we have this great speed detector - fitted to the car - real simple to use - match the number the white needle points to those at the side of the road on the big signs - in recent years it has proved faultless in operation, saved us a lot of money and has so far kept up to date with all the new technology.

Andy

ROTFLMAO !!!!!!

i know its yesterdays news, but i'm still crying with laughter here!! :D never noticed it before !!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom