GROUP BUY GPS/Laser/Radar Detectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hang on a minute.:crazy:

This is something Jimmy is doing for MBclub NOT THE WORLD.

Keep it simple for him and us please, or it won't happen.:rock: :rock:

Originally posted by Tan
Of course if we have sufficient numbers to achieve the level of discount that we all want then lets buy it now. I am ready to buy.

2nd that. What was our best price?

Jimmy you speculated about £370 - have we that for definate or less?

Woah!!:)

I am getting some more replies from distributors and their prices are all pretty similiar. They are all about £365 delivered to me, they have to be ordered and delivered to one address from the distributor.

That leaves me to collect payment and repost them out which all obviously costs money. I don't want to make money from anybody here but you must understand that by doing it through my business I must show a small profit. I can't do it myself as I have no means of taking card payments other than through my business.

I am going to a trade show on Thursday and I am sure I can get a much better price by becoming a distributor myself.;) These savings I will obviously pass onto MBClub members. Now if you want to buy two or three units that is upto you, if your friends want to contact me direct then I will sort them out with one at a sensible price.

All this is still up in the air at the moment so don't get too excited.:bannana:

As I have said I am away on holiday all next week, can you all wait another week? I can't see as it is possible to collect all the money, order the units from the best priced supllier we already have and post them onto you by Friday (and I am away Thursday).

I will keep you posted on what happens on Thursday. If their price is really good, I may come away with ten Snoopers on Thursday and we can sort it out on Friday and Saturday. That would be good.

Jimmy if you do get some on Thursday put me down for one. I have the credit card ready and waiting.

BTW the new origin B2 is GPS & Laser to add radar costs an extra £99 thus bringing the price to £530

Jimmy - after some research on the S6-R & others, you can put me down for a definite as well - it is definitely the best value package out there at the moment.

S.

Just to make sure everyone is aware, after you buy the kit you will have to register with Snooper for updates etc. The unit has a built in modem & just plugs in a BT socket.

This costs £4.95 per month or £99.95 for 2 years. :cool: :cool:

do you not get 12 months with the unit? I know you do with some of them.

NO you get nothing the unit comes "unpopulated" (that's what it says in the manual) You have to go to www.s6neo.co.uk to register or by phone fax etc..

You get 6 months free...

quote from web-site

I wish to make one up-front payment of £99.95 inc vat, by credit or debit card. and receive downloads for 2 years after my initial FREE 6 month period has expired.

and:

To ensure that your S6-R is always effective downloads can be performed as often as the user prefers. Downloads are free for the first six months and £4.95 per month thereafter.

.... basically - you get the 6 months, BUT not until you have paid £99 to cover the 2 years following your free 6 months, or have committed & signed up to pay direct debits of £4.95 per month (which don't kick in until the 6 month Free period has finished).

I suppose it would be possible to cancel the direct debit before the free 6 months were up if you were unhappy with it for any reason - & then transfer ownership to someone else - but from the reviews I have read, can't find anybody that has anything negative to say about it.

S.

IMPORTANT

I'm not sure if you all know about it, but http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/ is what I would regard the definitive place for Speed Trap detector reviews.

Steve Warren has been running the site for as long as I can remember and his detail in his reviews very good, pictures, wav samples of the sound alrts etc etc - just take a look and read the review of the Origin Blue (original one) for the usefull information you would not know reading the adds:

You start by reading the guide, its well worth it as it explains some of the little quirks the unit has, such as, if you pass a Gatso and do a U-turn before 2000m has passed between you and the Gatso the blue i will not tell you about the Gatso on your return trip.

Now, I'm not picking on the Origin Blue as being bad - just showing an example of the detail his review picks out. Not all examples are available in the manual to read either - but either way you would not know this until you bought it.

Anyway, intro over, my only concern so far has been that there is no review of the Snooper device on his site.

An email to Steve has resulted in me being put off the Snooper S6 for the time being.

Hi
The Snooper is total rubbish, wait a few weeks and a new unit from Origin will be out at the same price. It will knock spots off Snooper.
The snooper has poor database, bad false alarms from the radar head
Steve

I'm going to look into the NEW Origin Blue device but otherwise the Road Angel GPS + Laser device is going to get my money.

Jimmy - I know you have not already committed so I hope I have not put you out in any other way - but please count me out of any initial orders for the Snooper.

There is going to be a plus and down side to every product, but I find Steve's reviews very objective normally, but his comments above very discouraging.

Thanks for the advice Graham,

I did think that the lack of reviews on UK Speedtraps was ominous...... now maybe I know why
I have had a look at the new origin device on there website , and think it may well be worth waiting.

They are offering them for £430 on pre-order, I know it is more expensive but I think it is worth paying the extra as it has so much more functionality.

But then again, I could be wrong. £430 is a lot of fixed penaltys…..

....also bear in mind that the new Origin B2 is only GPS & Laser - no Radar - you have to pay extra for that too.

It is a little more future proof though, and has optional Laser Diffuser inputs, and better mounting / wiring set-up (although would be more suitable for a permanent installation.)

Having checked their web-site it also has features that I am never likely to use - such as letting me know when I'm in the congestion charging zone (London).

I think you have to read all the reviews, weigh everything up and make a decision - also depends on how much you want to spend - there will always be something "better" out there, I guess !

Thanks for the info anyway though Graham.

S.

I would wholeheartedly second what Graham says.

But for me (so far) the Snooper works - in terms of price and functionality.

All your comments have been usefull, this is what we need to decide which device to go for. I will be doing some research and finding out more prices over the next week. Lets just wait and see what the outcome is.

It may well be that some will want the OBi others the Snooper and others will want to wait for the new OB2. The OB2 looks the mutz nutz, I shall see what I can find out about that one.;)

I saw this on their site:
The speeding endorsement system is set to become stricter in 2003; motorists caught twice on the motorway at, for example, 72 and 76 will be disqualified; speeds of 86+ will mean an instant disqualification

WTF!!! 72 and 76 mph, I have several friends who are in the police and they all have the (unofficial) view that below 80 is ok just over 80 requires a friendly chat if deemed neccessary, ie dangerous, or suspicious. 85-90+ means a ticket, 100+ unacceptable.

Interestingly from what they have discussed, unmarked cop cars on the motorways generally ignore cars doing anything upto 85mph, they look out for the ones doing 90+ or driving dangerously that always behave when they see a marked car.

Keep your views and comments coming.

The information below is from the Association of Chief Police Officers website - Link

The guidance to police officers is that it is anticipated that, other than in the most exceptional circumstances, the issue of fixed penalty notices and summonses is likely to be the minimum appropriate enforcement action as soon as the following speeds have been reached:

Limit / Fixed Penalty / Summons

20 mph / 25 mph / 35 mph

30 mph / 35 mph / 50 mph

40 mph / 46 mph / 66 mph

50 mph / 57 mph / 76 mph

60 mph / 68 mph / 86 mph

70 mph / 79 mph / 96 mph

This guidance does not and cannot replace the police officer's discretion and they may decide to issue a summons or a fixed penalty notice in respect of offences committed at speeds lower than those set out in the table. Moreover, in particular circumstances, driving at speeds lower than the legal limit may result in prosecution for other offences, for example dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention when the speed is inappropriate and inherently unsafe.

Just for information, don't rely on it as gospel.

I was set on the Snooper but know i am confused. I will have to try and find some snooper reviews.
The Origin B2 won the group test in Autocar last week but they never tested the snooper, i really wish they would have.

Tan

Last edited:
Originally posted by jimmy
Interestingly from what they have discussed, unmarked cop cars on the motorways generally ignore cars doing anything upto 85mph, they look out for the ones doing 90+ or driving dangerously that always behave when they see a marked car.

Keep your views and comments coming.

Hmm, I got done for doing 87mph, I think he must have been bored (it was an unmarked BMW). He even made a comment that there was nothing wrong with my driving at all so it wasn't that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom