GROUP BUY GPS/Laser/Radar Detectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
Seeing as there is a fair bit of interest in GPS & Laser/Radar detectors here, I have made some enquiries regarding a MBClub group buy or the possibility of my company becoming a dealer and offering them to members at a very favourable price.

So far one company Radar Warehouse has responded very quickly and positively. I spoke to him this morning and he is very keen to offer a good deal on a group buy for the club or even better rates for my business if we become a dealer.

If you have a look at the above website you will see they off the OBi, Road Angel and Snooper S6R-Neo, personally I am leaning towards the Snooper, it offers GPS detection of fixed and mobile cameras and radar and laser detection through a seperate unit that can be mounted externally behind the grill. The main unit can then be discreetly mounted behind the grill. The OBi is GPS only although can be mounted very discreetly as Guy has done with his. The Road Angel offers GPS and Laser detection but I dont like the way it has to sit on-top of the dashboard.

The bloke I spoke to said that the Snooper is by far the best, it has more features and seeing as Snooper has been around for a very long time they know what they are doing. I believe Billy has one, what do you think of it Billy?

I need to know how many of you are interested so that I know better how to bargain with the man on Monday. If we do a group buy I shall buy them and sell them onto you at cost + postage + a fiver to cover credit cards. I have no idea what discount will be offered as yet.

So who wants one?

I might be interested if the price is right.

Which model Snooper?:confused:

Originally posted by Brian WH
I might be interested if the price is right.

Which model Snooper?:confused:

Sorry, it's the Snooper S6R-NEO

They normally sell for:

Snooper £439
Road Angel £393
Origin Bluei £365

Now I know that the Road Angel and OBi can be found cheaper elsewhere but these prices are before our discount. Normally in he motor parts trade I would expect to get a discount of at least 30% upto 60%, the average would be around 40-50%. I dont expect to get 50% but I am hoping for more than 10% off.

Originally posted by jimmy
Sorry, it's the Snooper S6R-NEO

They normally sell for:

Snooper £439
Road Angel £393
Origin Bluei £365

Now I know that the Road Angel and OBi can be found cheaper elsewhere but these prices are before our discount. Normally in he motor parts trade I would expect to get a discount of at least 30% upto 60%, the average would be around 40-50%. I dont expect to get 50% but I am hoping for more than 10% off.

Left your options open there mate.:D :D :D

I like the 40-50% option.:bannana: :bannana:

The Snooper does make for the better product I guess, even if a little more fitting is required.

Concerned I thought the Road Angel was steep at £399 and this a little more again!

Definately Interested, but that has to be based on price, but then that is why you are putting the effort in for us!

£350 and below is a for sure, any higher and I'll have to let you know.

Here's hoping for at least 30% off!

EDIT: It's a shame the trusty UK Speed traps site has not done a review. He really picks out the detail/glitches in these products.

So who wants one?

I'd like to speak to or hear from Billy, but subject to him giving it a :bannana: you can count on me to take a Snooper.

Thanks for your efforts :)

....<frustration> given my little "altercation" with a GATSO</frustration> this week, I am now VERY interested - I need to research the options a little more though to decide which will suit the requirements best !!

S.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Maff
If we could get a group buy on the valentine one detector i'd be very interested.

Best of the Radars, but I you really need GPS too these days - SPECS/Truvelo etc.

Have a think!

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Best of the Radars, but I you really need GPS too these days - SPECS/Truvelo etc.

Have a think!

True, true, didn't think about that one...

Really you need both .

Ive got a bel 990 international on my windscreen at the moment thats fab. Gatsos are well picked up , but , the GPS would just polish things off confirming if it was a real trap of a false alarm.

Speedtronic is great , but , sometimes you just can't be bothered with it ;)

tee hee - we have this great speed detector - fitted to the car - real simple to use - match the number the white needle points to those at the side of the road on the big signs - in recent years it has proved faultless in operation, saved us a lot of money and has so far kept up to date with all the new technology.

Andy

Originally posted by andy_k
tee hee - we have this great speed detector - fitted to the car - real simple to use - match the number the white needle points to those at the side of the road on the big signs - in recent years it has proved faultless in operation, saved us a lot of money and has so far kept up to date with all the new technology.

Andy

Bloody brilliant idea.:D

I am interested in the snooper S6 neo.

I did see the new origin blue i 2 in autocar this week but am not sure if this is both gps and laser/radar.

Originally posted by Tan
I am interested in the snooper S6 neo.

I did see the new origin blue i 2 in autocar this week but am not sure if this is both gps and laser/radar.

I have just looked at that site, it is a GPS/Laser detector with optional radar detector. It costs £429 but not yet available. Looks good though.

My thinking as to why I need one with laser/radar is this:

I have always preached that speeding is bad, antisocial, dangerous etc. I have always had a clean licence and I never, ever speed in towns, villages, outside schools or places where a kid or dog or person could walk out in front of you.

On the open road, dual carriageways and motorways where ther is less of a risk and as long as traffic and conditions are ok I think it is stupid these days to have to stick to 50,60 or 70mph.

I recently got caught, fined £60 and three points for doing 37mph in a *EDIT* 30mph zone that was leaving a town in Wales. No excuse I know but I was in an unfamiliar area (Wales:p ) and was keeping up with the flow of traffic, there were 5 or 6 cars and a lorry in front and several behind all doing the same speed.

I got caught by a mobile safety van, painted in Welsh writing that evidently said 'Arrive Safely'. Now a GPS only detector would not have helped me, all fixed cameras are now signposted so I always slow down and am looking out for them.

Thats why I think the Laser/Radar detector is a must. I think I am more likely to be had by a mobile unit rather than a fixed camera.

Some comments here are quite true, 'stick to the limit and you wont get a ticket', £400 for a detector is alot of many but we all know how easy it is to get carried away once in a while or miss a sign and be unsure if the speed limit is a 30, 40 or 50, the GPS will tel you.:cool:

Last edited:

I recently got caught, fined £60 and three points for doing 37mph in a 40mph zone

dayum!!!! :D

Whatever happens I *will* buy a laser jammer as well

I'd be interested, depending on price.

I'm an Aussie, recently returned to UK after 3 years away. Believe me it can get a whole lot worse and nobody should take this expansion of speed cameras lying down. In Australia its an open secret that speed cameras are used for revenue raising - in Tasmania where I come from we have mobile radar cameras on tripods which are really hard to detect (I have a Cobra which gets most things but struggles to pick these up till too late). They also have vans with cameras mounted inside them using (I think) laser sights. These can pick you up from a long way away. Combine this with low speed limits, near empty roads and huge fines and it is really frustrating. I sold my Jag in the end because it just wasn't fun any more (100 km/h speed limits). Funny thing is that Australia has much higher deaths per head of population than almost anywhere in Europe, so you can't argue that they help.

<RANT>So what I'm saying is invest in detectors, do everything you can to frustrate the bureaucrats - not because I advocate being irresponsible, but I do advocate some retention of personal freedom, and a good car on an open road in good conditions is not going to be as dangerous as some poor bunny falling asleep at the wheel from sheer boredom.

Sorry </RANT>

Originally posted by Koolvin
dayum!!!! :D

Whatever happens I *will* buy a laser jammer as well

Sorry, typo, I was doing 37mph in a 30 zone not a 40 as I originally typed:rolleyes:

I was worried why you didn't protest that one Jimmy!!!

Back to topic - do you think there is any behind a W202 grill that that can house the radar/laser head? I presume it has to have some line of sight or will it function behind the bumper?

We should have fun designing the install of this. We could have a Snooper Install GTG, do each of the cars in turn. We have enough w202's to master the install!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom