Group Buy of Isoft CR Pro ($$ Discount)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanMBFORUM

Car
W169 A170
After having a chat with Icarsoft and the challenges of changing cars etc.

I've negotiated a group buy for the guys here .

Normal price of the Isoft CR pro with a 2 year warranty, from the UK distributor is £249.
Group buy price would be £175 + p&p say £5 (tbc)

If you'd be interested please let me know, as we need about 20 people interested to make this work.

Fair comment. But the mb2 will read any other vehicle with the obd2 option . All beit not as in depth as the full option.

Fair comment. But the mb2 will read any other vehicle with the obd2 option . All beit not as in depth as the full option.
I think it's the reset codes that make the difference. Most cheap odb2 readers can read the codes. It's the reset that seems to be very vehicle specific.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I think it's the reset codes that make the difference. Most cheap odb2 readers can read the codes. It's the reset that seems to be very vehicle specific.

Argh right. I thought it was so you can speak to the Abs, SRS, AIRCON,GEARBOX,SUSPENSION,The full electrical system etc etc.. on every car model ..

I have the mb v2, very good unit and it seems to have regular updates but it doesn't do the eco system faults for my car.
I emailed their tech support, they don't understand English very well, did not help - they just ignored my emails..

I already have the plus model. Good of you to organise.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Argh right. I thought it was so you can speak to the Abs, SRS, AIRCON,GEARBOX,SUSPENSION,The full electrical system etc etc.. on every car model ..
On every vehicle is the Pro model.

On every vehicle is the Pro model.

Yes i know. The mb2 v2 resets faults on other cars without issue. Using the obd2 function. The only reason to buy the pro is for talking to the units i mentioned earlier. Otherwise your throwing £100 away.

Yes i know. The mb2 v2 resets faults on other cars without issue. Using the obd2 function. The only reason to buy the pro is for talking to the units i mentioned earlier. Otherwise your throwing £100 away.
Sorry being daft. So the MB can reset VW codes for braking airbags DPF etc?

Sorry being daft. So the MB can reset VW codes for braking airbags DPF etc?

There are two levels of scanning.

The first is OBDII, which is a universal standard compatible with all vehicles made after a certain year (~1992).

OBDII covered basic engine and transmission functions, and was created mainly to alert about emissions-related faults (though some other engine faults are covered as well).

Every generic OBDII scanner on the market, including £5 ELM327 BT jobbie off eBay, will read OBDII fault codes, and most can also erase them as well.

OBDII scanners communicate with the engine and transmission electronic control units (ECU).

However, modern cars have very many ECUs, typically a few dozens, in some cases hundreds. These includes things like the front and rear Signal Acquisition Modules (SAM), air con controller, instrument cluster, door control unit (one per door), information system, ABS/ESP controller, Stop/Start system, Supplementary Restrain System (SRS) and airbags, and many many more.

These ECUs are unique to each manufacturer, and generic OBDII scanners can't communicate with them or read them.

These manufacturer-specific ECUs can be read by a manufacturer-specific diagnostic tool, in the case of MB it is the STAR which is based on the Xentry DAS system. This is the second (and more in-depth) level of scanning.

However, STAR is not available for purchase by the public (though there are illegal clones about). Some makers of genetic OBDII scanners released higher-end devices which can read - in addition to the generic OBDII protocol - also some of the manufacturer-specific ECUs in the car.

These manufacturers include iCarsoft, Autel, Launch, and others.

So if you buy an iCarsoft MB v2.0 you get a scanner that can communicate with the engine ECU for reading and erasing of standard OBDII fault codes, AND can also communicate with some (though not all) of the MB manufacturer-specific ECUs. Typically, the iCarsoft MB v2.0 will read (and be able to erase) around 30 or so ECUs in addition to the generic OBDII protocol.

In reality, if you have the iCarsoft scanner, you will rarely use the generic OBDII function, because the manufacturer-specific part of the software essentially covers all that the basic OBDII covers and much more.

By buying the iCarsoft CR Pro (instead of the cheaper iCarsoft MB v2.0) you will be getting a scanner that can read the manufacturer-specific ECUs on all makes of cars, i.e. not just MB cars.

Last edited:
There are two levels of scanning.

The first is OBDII, which is a universal standard compatible with all vehicles made after a certain year (~1992).

OBDII covered basic engine and transmission functions, and was created mainly to alert about emissions-related faults (though some other engine faults are covered as well).

Every generic OBDII scanner on the market, including £5 ELM327 BT jobbie off eBay, will read OBDII fault codes, and most can also erase them as well.

OBDII scanners communicate with the engine and transmission electronic control units (ECU).

However, modern cars have very many ECUs, typically a few dozens, in some cases hundreds. These includes things like the front and rear Signal Acquisition Modules (SAM), air con controller, instrument cluster, door control unit (one per door), information system, ABS/ESP controller, Stop/Start system, Supplementary Restrain System (SRS) and airbags, and many many more.

These ECUs are unique to each manufacturer, and generic OBDII scanners can't communicate with them or read them.

These manufacturer-specific ECUs can be read by a manufacturer-specific diagnostic tool, in the case of MB it is the STAR which is based on the Xentry DAS system. This is the second (and more in-depth) level of scanning.

However, STAR is not available for purchase by the public (though there are illegal clones about). Some makers of genetic OBDII scanners released higher-end devices which can read - in addition to the generic OBDII protocol - also some of the manufacturer-specific ECUs in the car.

These manufacturers include iCarsoft, Autel, Launch, and others.

So if you buy an iCarsoft MB v2.0 you get a scanner that can communicate with the engine ECU for reading and erasing of standard OBDII fault codes, AND can also communicate with some (though not all) of the MB manufacturer-specific ECUs. Typically, the iCarsoft MB v2.0 will read (and be able to erase) around 30 or so ECUs in addition to the generic OBDII protocol.

In reality, if you have the iCarsoft scanner, you will rarely use the generic OBDII function, because the manufacturer-specific part of the software essentially covers all that the basic OBDII covers and much more.

By buying the iCarsoft CR Pro (instead of the cheaper iCarsoft MB v2.0) you will be getting a scanner that can read the manufacturer-specific ECUs on all makes of cars, i.e. not just MB cars.
Cheers for that. Was aware the cheap ones could all read. Didn't realise the reset was more around it not being odb2. So thanks great post we'll explained.

Cheers for that. Was aware the cheap ones could all read. Didn't realise the reset was more around it not being odb2. So thanks great post we'll explained.

In principle cheap OBDII scanners can read and also erase OBDII codes.

I say 'in principle' because my experience is that some cheapo ODBII scanners didn't actually manage to erase fault codes that were later successfully erased using a better-quality scanner.

But I attribute it to poorly-written code, i.e. not because basic OBDII scanners categorically can't erase codes.

But as per my previous post, generic OBDII scanners can only read and erase some basic engine fault codes, nothing else.

+ 1 for me too please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom