Grrr, accident stuff + insurance companies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starquake

To explain.

My nice lovely perfect '99 CLK 320, some silly person drove into it going other direction at a junction, writing it off totally (too many parts for it to be economical even if I brought 2nd hand etc). Totally annoyed, as its the best car I had ever owned.

Parts list of broken stuff:
New right wing, new main beam (xenon) headlamp housing + bulb, new front fog lamp, new engline hood lid and front bump and Air filter + housing required - and needed fitting etc painting etc.

So
1/ Anyone know a better insurer than Elephant for next time, so my lovely mercedes stands less chance of being a total write off? I'm going to go for a good payment from them, as the car was in perfect nick with an MOT last month + service + all minor niggles fixed.

2/ Anyone with a decent '99 ideally (for cheaper road tax) 320, or 500 petrol CLK for sale for not silly money? I'd consider an E-class sedan too, not an estate.

Unless you go for some sort of agreed value policy -which will cost --most insurance companies are the same. Prepare your case carefully for your cars value--- have mileage and service/ repair documentation available and look for similar examples advertised for sale for a market valuation. Most insurance companies will start negotiations with a lowish offer which you should be able to increase with carefully researched evidence- but don't expect miracles ! Some folks would advocate spending most of your efforts on looking for a sound replacement vehicle rather than squeezing the last ounce of compensation out of the insurance co.:dk:

Have seen this - looks very nice in the flesh. and has ALL the toys

LINK

Edit-No rust around any of the arches as Jay has had it done

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this and I hope you find nice car soon.Also CLK500 was not available in 208 so no chance geting a 99 one

^ As above but you can get a w208 clk55 amg for sensible money,the clk500(w209) came out in 2003.

mattc - thanks, but I'd probably have to add £1500 to insurance payout for that, but it does look VERY nice. I may take a drive in the insurance hire to Nuneaton to take a look even if I don't see another as nice.

To me a 320 (which I want) milage is irrelevant, I just need to make sure the obvious rust isn't going to kill the exhaust etc.

mattc - thanks, but I'd probably have to add £1500 to insurance payout for that, but it does look VERY nice. I may take a drive in the insurance hire to Nuneaton to take a look even if I don't see another as nice.

To me a 320 (which I want) milage is irrelevant, I just need to make sure the obvious rust isn't going to kill the exhaust etc.

Better to pay a premium and buy a sorted vehicle rather than buy cheapest and pay out every month or so. Good luck with the hunt.

mattc - oh indeed, I agree. Its why I'm considering it - just annoying when I had a similar age perfect condition merc.

There's a forum member on here selling a beautiful CLK 430.

Have a look in the classifieds, his username is TPWUK.

His one is a soft top though

Yep, not keen on a soft top. Personally am a hard top man.

Parts list doesn't seem to extreme.

Nick will have all that in stock at sensible prices , he has a bodyshop on site who are excellent and charge realistically too.

Drop him an email

[email protected]

If it is indisputably the third Party's accepted responsibility I think you are fully entitled, as the innocent Party, to insist that you are put back in to the position that you were in before the incident.
Under such circumstances the market value of your car is irrelevant.....stand your ground and insist that the third Party pays to have your car repaired because it cannot be replaced like for like......it is only convention that allows him to hide behind insurers.
The third Party damaged your property and it is the third Party who is responsible for remedying your loss.
I would be doing a lot of sabre rattling.

I had a similar situation about five years ago when someone reversed into the side of my legally parked unoccupied 735. Loss adjusters wanted to write it off as they claimed it was only ''worth'' £1200......I told them that I did not think that was a very good idea and after a lot of ''debate'' got the car fully repaired by the third Party's insurers at a cost well in excess of that figure.

Folks cannot smash up your property and only take partial financial responsibility......it is your right to drive around in an immaculate 12yrs. old car.
An agreed valuation should only come in to play if the damage was your own responsibility.

Mic

MicB - I'll try that line with the insurer - its 100% not my fault, police even prosecuting the other driver for "Driving without due care/attention". Days of debate on phone to insurer due no doubt to either get the repairs or an acceptable settlement.

From my POV just want to know one way or another..

MicB - I'll try that line with the insurer - its 100% not my fault, police even prosecuting the other driver for "Driving without due care/attention". Days of debate on phone to insurer due no doubt to either get the repairs or an acceptable settlement.

From my POV just want to know one way or another..

Interested to learn how you get on.

Mic

Hi. Sorry to hear about your ordeal with your insurance. Claiming on insurance has to be more stressful than commuting on the M25.

I've just bought a C220 CDi and i'm going to advertise my CLK230 Komp Avantgarde quite soon. If you're at all interested, please PM me and i'll be happy to discuss the details with you. I'm not a trader, just some guy who is going to sell his car and yes, I will miss it because like you, it's the best car i've ever owned.

Hi-Ho Silver, not got my 30 post count yet (this gets me real close), but if its a good runner, and well maintained, and of the right age I'm going to be interested (I'm guessing all of above, as most folk on here, like me, I expect spent a considerable amount mainting the merc to its high standard).. There is a distinct lack of CLK's around here in decent nick, I have a choice of about 3 without driving over 40 miles to take a look, and from my view, brightons as easy to get to as Birmingham, and I could use some hotel points to make a weekend out of it.

My budget is 3-4k for reference, but smaller the better in that scale- unfrotunatly anything I spend over/above the insurance payout, is cominng straight of the wedding/honeymoon budget (getting married next April in leeds, live in suffolk, whole point of having a nice car is to do the 420 mile round trip in comfort, given we go every other weekend currently, and will be doing every week from xmas to please the priest... oh the joys of that!).

And I agree its worse than commuting stress wise. Its the 2 day thing that bugs me, insurance pays out, leaves you with a hire for only 2 days after that... so I need to move quick once I get payout agreed.

If it is indisputably the third Party's accepted responsibility I think you are fully entitled, as the innocent Party, to insist that you are put back in to the position that you were in before the incident.
Under such circumstances the market value of your car is irrelevant.....stand your ground and insist that the third Party pays to have your car repaired because it cannot be replaced like for like......it is only convention that allows him to hide behind insurers.
The third Party damaged your property and it is the third Party who is responsible for remedying your loss.
I would be doing a lot of sabre rattling.

I had a similar situation about five years ago when someone reversed into the side of my legally parked unoccupied 735. Loss adjusters wanted to write it off as they claimed it was only ''worth'' £1200......I told them that I did not think that was a very good idea and after a lot of ''debate'' got the car fully repaired by the third Party's insurers at a cost well in excess of that figure.

Folks cannot smash up your property and only take partial financial responsibility......it is your right to drive around in an immaculate 12yrs. old car.
An agreed valuation should only come in to play if the damage was your own responsibility.

Mic

'Honest John' (Telegraph) used to keep saying this but even he has now stated that it's not true.

Putting you back in the same position etc. is interpreted to mean in the same financial position. I.e. you had an asset worth £x before it was badly damaged so you will be given £x to buy another one. No insurance company is going to spend multiples of what a car is worth to repair it.

As others have said, put the effort into collating information that demonstrates the value of your car and pushing for that amount of money.

'Honest John' (Telegraph) used to keep saying this but even he has now stated that it's not true.

Putting you back in the same position etc. is interpreted to mean in the same financial position. I.e. you had an asset worth £x before it was badly damaged so you will be given £x to buy another one. No insurance company is going to spend multiples of what a car is worth to repair it.

As others have said, put the effort into collating information that demonstrates the value of your car and pushing for that amount of money.

Forget the insurance company.....it is your asset and you want it fixed or replaced such that you are not in a worse position than you were before the incident.....you are pursuing the the third Party.....the relationship between them and their insurers is a matter for them.

Mic

How much is the estimate to repair the damage to your car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom