GRRR..Interior heater blower intermittent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been browsing quite a bit around various parts of the forum & just come across this topic, which I see has been open a while. So fwiw, I had this blower problem abt a yr ago on my 98 C240T - dealer said it was the regulator, but I didn't believe, since I saw a fair amount of brush arcing & the fan would restart after a sharp wallop & therefore I concluded it was brushes.

There does not appear to be off the shelf replacement brushes for this motor anywhere in the world & it seemed a crime to throw away a complete fan unit for the sake of a pair of brushes. I discovered a local electic motor rewind co in the village where I lived & had new brushes made to order & they fitted them (soldered connections) - total cost abt £55 I believe - took abt a week. Co name is Algar Electric Motors, Eynsham, Witney Oxon - 01865 880588

Motor has been fine since (abt 20k miles)

Before you all start taking your blower motors out try wiggling the blower switch and in particular pushing and pulling the knob (oo, er, missus). I had the exact symptoms many of you refer to (i.e. banging the dash and the fan would start) and it turned out to be the switch.

I removed the switch assembly, split the plastic casing and gave it a liberal squirt of contact cleaner. This was about 3 months ago and, so far, I've not had any similar problems.

Hi folks! I've just joined this forum, having found it whilst searching for information on fan problems. Just like to say that it's a shame my 51reg E320CDi estate isn't as good as the forum. Within days of getting it the stop go switch broke, and I've also had to have the air mass sensor replaced (£220) and now the blower fan has become possessed by the gremlins! What a crock of crap - shame really as it's generally a lovely car and reasonable fun to drive. :(

ChrisEdu said:
Hi folks! I've just joined this forum, having found it whilst searching for information on fan problems. Just like to say that it's a shame my 51reg E320CDi estate isn't as good as the forum. Within days of getting it the stop go switch broke, and I've also had to have the air mass sensor replaced (£220) and now the blower fan has become possessed by the gremlins! What a crock of crap - shame really as it's generally a lovely car and reasonable fun to drive. :(

Man the dealer saw you comming. The MAF is about £50 and takes about one minute to fit.

What's the stop/go switch?

Understand you feeling a bit peeved but at least none of these problems are major.

Stop / go

The switch is something to do with the gear selector, can't exactly remember the details now - cast it from my memory. All I do recall is that it weas quite spectacular when it broke, as nearly every warning the car could throw up seemed to appear!

Where do you guys get the parts to fix cars from? Will a dealer just supply what is needed if asked? I know it might be a daft question, but I've never been inclined to find out about this sort of thing until now. Cheers.

ChrisEdu said:
Where do you guys get the parts to fix cars from? Will a dealer just supply what is needed if asked? I know it might be a daft question, but I've never been inclined to find out about this sort of thing until now. Cheers.
Stealership parts counter. The prices are usually quite competitive and you know you're getting the genuine article.

The only exception to this is where something is known to be of better quality from another manufacturer obviously :) . I will have a Hella condenser on my aircon system next Saturday after recommendations from several people :)

Parts

Cool. So, is it worth getting the parts oneself, if you know what is required, or is it just as well to let a indie supply them? Would there be much of a mark-up on the price of parts? I get the feeling that a lot of what one pays is the over inflated charge for labour.

Auto selector switch.

Heres one on ebay.
I don't think you'll beat this price. Dealer price for the whole unit is £250+

Fitting takes about ten minutes but there's not much in there, what's the problem??

If it's anything to do with the gear selector gate this might be useful.

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6722&highlight=selector

Generally go to the dealer for parts. Guarenteed quality and often the cheapest.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Firstly, great thread! When the fan in my recently purchased W208 CLK 430 decided to intermitently come on and off, I obviously thought the worst. Especially since its flippin freezing now in Manchester!!

I have decided to change the bushes, but reading through the posts it would appear sourcing a set of these could prove difficult. I was starting to lose hope until I came across these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190264088623

Its early days (only ordered today), but these appear the perfect fix for my problem. I will post an update once I have them and have had a go at fitting, so fingers crossed!!!!

I had this problem a couple of years ago, measured the brushes and bought some as close as possible to the original size.

Twenty minutes cutting and filing and a bit of solder and job done. Two years later all is still running well, total cost £2.50

you always get a reply on this forum!
pm me how it goes, where are the bushes located?

just got round to fitting the brushes,and was surprised at how little was left of them!the brushes are located behind 2 little spring loaded clips which are only visible once you remove the plastic sleeve on the motor if memory serves.

I know thread resurrection - just ordered some new bushes as this happening to mine.

Thanks a lot chaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom